Alternative to coin placing

dethklok

Hi, I am really new to caching and have gotten some geocoins for Christmas. I have gotten about ten or so, but there are two that I really love. I am totally afraid that the coins that I love are going to be stolen or lost. I was wondering if there is an alternative to placeing them in a cache. For example, If I was to photocopy one of them and put that in the case with the code if that would be allowed. That was it still travels but I don't have to worry about the coin being lost in the shuffle.

Is this something that is allowed?

Is this something that others do?

Is this something that is ok?

Thank you for your help!

Hi, I am really new to caching and have gotten some geocoins for Christmas. I have gotten about ten or so, but there are two that I really love. I am totally afraid that the coins that I love are going to be stolen or lost. I was wondering if there is an alternative to placeing them in a cache. For example, If I was to photocopy one of them and put that in the case with the code if that would be allowed. That was it still travels but I don't have to worry about the coin being lost in the shuffle.

Is this something that is allowed?

Is this something that others do?

Is this something that is ok?

Thank you for your help!

That's referred to as a Coin Proxy. It is allowed. some players do not like them, but most understand the reasons for making them. a couple of tips...

Try to make your proxy in a manner and quality thaat will still make it enjoyable for the finders.

Consider adding "Proxy" to the title of the traveler so players will have a better idea what to expect.

Welcome to the Addiction.

It is allowed, it's your coin and your game.....

I've seen placeholders used for other geocoins.

Personally, I don't care for the practice. It's like finding a picture of a cache instead of the real thing. I usually leave fake geocoins for others to move.

Hey, each to his own! That's the thing about this sport!

Welcome to geocaching!

Yes, it is allowed.

Yes, some geocachers do this.

Opinions on whether it is OK, or not, vary.

Personally, I love to see real geocoins circulating through caches so I keep a fairly small selection of geocoins (about a dozen) which are special to me in a personal collection. They are activated and can be discovered by other cachers when I take them to events but they're not going into any other caches.

The other coins that I buy that aren't so special I release into caches for travel. Some manage thousands of miles, some disappear after 20 miles. When one of my traveling geocoins has been missing for at least 9 months sometimes I will release a Proxy item in place of it so that the 'spirit' of the geocoin can continue traveling around.

(As mentioned above, if you decide to release Proxy/Copy geocoins then it's a good idea to make it clear in the name of the geocoin that it's not a real one.)

Enjoy your geocoins, whatever you choose to do with them. :)

MrsB

Ok I understand. haha I will keep this all in mind. I will prolly release most of my coins it's seriously just like two that I am in love with. haha if you are interested one of them is the Celtic Tree of Life in green and silver. I think that I might proxy my two favorites and let loose the others.

Ok I understand. haha I will keep this all in mind. I will prolly release most of my coins it's seriously just like two that I am in love with. haha if you are interested one of them is the Celtic Tree of Life in green and silver. I think that I might proxy my two favorites and let loose the others.

I released one Celtic Tree of Life (it was also drilled) and it managed just 77 miles before the cache it was in got muggled. :)

I have a second one out traveling... That one's OK... at the moment.

MrsB

while I was reading this.... somethng came in my mind.... A question.....

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread!

If you release a proxy coin into the wild, to travel... and keep the real one... can someone discover the real and log the discovery, even if the traveller proxy is far away?

I mean... even in the proxy is in a cache, in the hands of a geocacher...far away from me, can I take the real one in an event and let others discover it, or if I frend geocacher comes in my island, to discover the real coin?

It will be a little odd to see logs that it is in USA (the proxy) and it was discovered in Europe....

Is this ok??

If you release a proxy coin into the wild, to travel... and keep the real one... can someone discover the real and log the discovery, even if the traveller proxy is far away?

I mean... even in the proxy is in a cache, in the hands of a geocacher...far away from me, can I take the real one in an event and let others discover it, or if I frend geocacher comes in my island, to discover the real coin?

It will be a little odd to see logs that it is in USA (the proxy) and it was discovered in Europe....

Is this ok??

To further that point, what if I buy a coin, and I make 50 proxy tags, and release them all over the place? Nothing to stop me from doing that, right? :rolleyes:

Is this ok??

To further that point, what if I buy a coin, and I make 50 proxy tags, and release them all over the place? Nothing to stop me from doing that, right? :rolleyes:

Actually THAT is against the guidelines..... only 1 bug can travel on a tracking number. What will stop you is the coin's page getting frozen for good. :P