Hydration Bladder

heyjude

I got a Hi-Tec Backpack with a hydration bladder for Christmas. I know Hi-Tec doesn't make backpacks anymore, but I love mine anyway.

The question I have is about the bite valve. I have never used one before, and this one has a cover that doesn't have an opening on the end. I can't figure out if I am supposed to cut a slit in it or if it is just a cover for the on/off mouthpiece.

I looked it up using Google and the info I read suggests it is a bite valve, but there just isn't any opening in the end. I have rolled it between my fingers, squeezed it, but there is no opening in the end.

Bite-Valve-cr.gif

Any advice?

If it doesn't open with a squeeze, you can slice it with a knife. You can also buy bite valves in many outdoors stores if you can't get that one to work.

Thanks for the replies. I squeezed it and bit it as hard as possible before I wrote, so I guess I will have to slit it. There is no way there is any opening in this thing.

If it doesn't open with a squeeze, you can slice it with a knife. You can also buy bite valves in many outdoors stores if you can't get that one to work.

Thanks for the replies. I squeezed it and bit it as hard as possible before I wrote, so I guess I will have to slit it. There is no way there is any opening in this thing.

How about the end that should take the tubing? It may be a total dud... there should also be some sort of internal shaping to grip the tubing, or it would slip off a bit too easily...

Just interested.

Doug

If it doesn't work you can buy a new one. They slip off easily.

half the time I dont even use the bite valve, just take it off and forget about it. Comes in handy to have disinfecting wet wipes or alcohol swabs to clean off the tip on an occassional basis as they tend to get dirty even if you try to keep them clean.

For the TS

Only works if there is a shut off valve attached to stop the water flow. otherwise without a bite valve the water will come gushing out and soak you.