Mac User Wanting to Buy First GPS

Hello,

I have recently begun geocaching with my girlfriend's father's GPSr and would like to buy my own. I have been looking around and right now I am trying to decide between the Garmin Oregon 200 and the DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-40.

To be honest, I would like to spend under $200, but both of these devices seem to be a little bit more than that on Amazon. I am willing to spend up to $250.

The big kicker is I am a Mac user and would need a device that is compatable with Macintosh comupters.

Of these two, which one would you go with? I am also open to other products beyond these 2.

Thanks,

Matt

Depending upon your exact requirements, the DeLorme may work for you. I primarily use a Mac, but do have a Thinkpad for work which I use for downloading & cutting maps. I can do everything else I need to do with my Mac though.

What does work:

• Send to GPS on cache pages
  • Loading Pocket Queries (GPX files) via GPSBabel (which MacCaching might use, or might be able to use) or via DeLorme's Cache Register application (if you go this route, you never have to open the PQ - Cache Register downloads the file right from Groundspeak's servers)
  • Purchasing/downloading "default" aerial imagery cuts from DeLorme via their web interface to the Map Library
  • GPSBabel - for tracks, waypoints, etc.
  • Uploading Field Notes

What does not work

• TopoUSA - needed for downloading "full" imagery & doing your own custom map packages, more involved routes & tracks, etc.

Amazon is at it again, they are reduced agian look here

The only difference is the 30 doesn't have the altimeter and elec compass the 40 has, you still have a compass, however,you need to be moving (not a big deal). I have had a GPS with those features (in the past) and never really had a use for them, Personal preference? I believe you still get elevation info, its just what the topo map says it is. That reminds me, those two features had to be calibrated on my old unit, kind of a pain. Don't know the ease of calibration on the DeLorme unit as i have never had the 40 just the 30. In case i didnt tell earlier the 40 is on sale too right now. I think 234.57.

Welcome to Geocaching!

If the main (or only) thing you're going to do with the GPS is geocaching, and you're on a limited budget -- the DeLorme PN-30 and/or PN-40 models are hard to beat. Be sure to include $30 in your budget for a Groundspeak Premium membership, and $10 for DeLorme's "Cache Register" application -- and you'll have the best integrated, paperless caching system at a good price.

Edited by lee_rimar

Well,

I just went to Bass Pro Shop and talked with the GPS vendor there and think I have changed my mind completely and will be going with the Garmin eTrex Venture HC. It is about $100 cheaper than the Oregon 200 and will do everything I think I need.

Also, the touch screen on the Oregon is super prone to a glare when in the sun, whereas the Venture HC does not.

I do want to open it up to discussion, but I think I'm pretty set.

Thanks for all the support on the Mac issue. If this works out, I think I'll be a Garmin guy for life.

Well,

I just went to Bass Pro Shop and talked with the GPS vendor there and think I have changed my mind completely and will be going with the Garmin eTrex Venture HC. It is about $100 cheaper than the Oregon 200 and will do everything I think I need.

2 points:

1) Salesmen in stores like Bass Pro Shops have been known to be misinformed about various aspects of the products they sell. Do not be surprised if something you were told turns out to not be true - or something wasn't mentioned at all, that you might consider critical information.

2) I really hope you're not buying from the store.. Far, far better prices can be had online.

tical information.

2) I really hope you're not buying from the store.. Far, far better prices can be had online.

Any suggestions as to where? You can PM me

Amazon, NewEgg, buy.com, walmart.com, GPS specialty shops online...In general, if you're walking into a mass retailer like Bass Pro, you are not getting the best price possible.

http://froogle.com/ is your friend.

What does not work

• TopoUSA - needed for downloading "full" imagery & doing your own custom map packages, more involved routes & tracks, etc.

You can download the maps from data.delorme.com and put them right on the PN with a mac. No need for Topo actually.

http://delorme.com/support/supporttemplate.aspx?id=445#web

That's why I put this in the "What does work" section

Purchasing/downloading "default" aerial imagery cuts from DeLorme via their web interface to the Map Library

I've used both, and prefer doing it in TopoUSA. data.delorme.com works in a pinch, but doing the cuts in TopoUSA is much more tweakable & convenient (like getting all of your map types prepped at once, instead of having to select 24K topos, then aerials, etc.).

Well,

Also, the touch screen on the Oregon is super prone to a glare when in the sun, whereas the Venture HC does not.

I do want to open it up to discussion, but I think I'm pretty set.

Thanks for all the support on the Mac issue. If this works out, I think I'll be a Garmin guy for life.

Ive got the Venture HC. It workes great with my mac (running snow lepoard). But it wont do paperless and doesnt have expandable memory. Neither one was a big deal for me...it was about the price. Ive got a blackberry for paperless and being newly self employed i can see me needing more than 500 caches loaded between hookups with my mac.

But as it was mentioned above, shop around for price. There can be a big price difference even between local stores (if you are too impatient for online), and you can always try and get stores to meet other prices.