Help with GPX Files

lostgail

I have a Garmin Oregon 550.

I guess the next question would be, how are you loading them into your 550? I have an Oregon 400t and when I receive a pocket query, I unzip the file then drag the resulting files into the GPX folder in the 400t. Hmmmm ... or are you saying that the unzipped PQ file is in loc format?

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the GPS and Technology forum.

I just upgraded from my 60 CSx to an Oregon 400t. After nosing around the wiki, I decided I will continue to use the GSAK for managing the GSX info. When I researched the process on GSAK, I found that they (Clyde) has written a neat macro to do the download with a click.

So, now I save the pocket query in my downloads file, then open GSAK and download the .gsx into a new database. Then, I click the macro to download to a Colorado/Oregon, and I'm done. As I see it, the advantage of doing it this way is the GSAK macro will allow using filters like "Caches I have not found yet" to control what goes into my 400t, instead of having to do the filtering in the pocket query.

If I am missing something, and there is a better way, by all means please inform me. Just because I am doing it certainly doesn't mean it is the right way.

Meach4x4

If I am missing something, and there is a better way, by all means please inform me. Just because I am doing it certainly doesn't mean it is the right way.

I use GSAK too. I think it's the better way, though less convenient. I already filter for "not found by me" in the PQ, but GSAK allows me to filter out disabled caches which I still include in my PQ.

GSAK primarily allows me to include any private notes I made, as well as corrected coordinates for solved puzzles. And it allows me to easily filter out a certain subset out of the 4000+ geocaches within 25 miles of me.

Another thing GSAK can do is to export the geocaches as custom POI, in case your number of geocaches exceed what your unit can hold.