ISO Help with Garmin Oregon 300

auggies

I have read the manual and played around with my new Garmin Oregon 300 but I can't figure out how to get my geocaches to show on my map. Right now it only shows the geocaches in a list format. I'd prefer to view them all on a map and select which geocache to go to from there.

Can someone help me set it up that way?

Thanks in advance!

How are you getting the Geocaches into the Oregon? (GSAK?)

I have read the manual and played around with my new Garmin Oregon 300 but I can't figure out how to get my geocaches to show on my map. Right now it only shows the geocaches in a list format. I'd prefer to view them all on a map and select which geocache to go to from there.

Thanks in advance!

I'm using GSAK.

How are you getting the Geocaches into the Oregon? (GSAK?)

Thanks in advance!

I just checked and my c:\garmin folder only contains a USB_Drivers folder. No gpx folder. Is this something you created yourself?

When you download the gpx right to the Oregon 300, does it show up on the map? I am trying to get my pocket query to show on the map. I can do it if I click on one geocache and say go to - but it won't show all of them.

Just dump the GPX file from Groundspeak directly onto the unit in the [drive]:\garmin\gpx folder while it is hooked to your PC in mass storage mode. Unhook and enjoy.

I just checked and my c:\garmin folder only contains a USB_Drivers folder. No gpx folder. Is this something you created yourself?

When you download the gpx right to the Oregon 300, does it show up on the map? I am trying to get my pocket query to show on the map. I can do it if I click on one geocache and say go to - but it won't show all of them.

Just dump the GPX file from Groundspeak directly onto the unit in the [drive]:\garmin\gpx folder while it is hooked to your PC in mass storage mode. Unhook and enjoy.

Sounds like you are looking at the sd card drive part of the Oregon - make sure you are looking at the drive for the unit itself. (Although I believe it will also work if you create the folder on the sd card).

Yes - the Geocaches should show up on the map.

It's the only Garmin folder I have. I haven't used the SD card yet with the Oregon.

Sounds like you are looking at the sd card drive part of the Oregon - make sure you are looking at the drive for the unit itself. (Although I believe it will also work if you create the folder on the sd card).

Yes - the Geocaches should show up on the map.

What Red90 said is most likely the case. You're looking at your computer's drive.

If you click on "My Computer" (or whatever it is called) on your desktop or in Explorer, you should see a drive / device whose icon is a blue triangle. That's your Oregon. It should even tell you that it is a "Garmin Oregon".

If you look at the map, it should show you nearby caches. Click on a cache, the name should be displayed at the top (it's a little hard to do it with a finger - try fingernail or the blunt end of a pen). Click on the name, the cache (or waypoint) is displayed and you can choose to "Go" to it.

If you don't see geocaches on the map where you know there should be one, try playing around by disabling map layers. Seemed to work for me (but I'm running a beta firmware).

Let me know if you would like screen caps.

On another topic, GSAK works just fine. I use the Colorado export macro. I prefer it to copying a PQ directly onto the unit.

Now I get what you're both saying. I hooked up my GPS and I see the GPX folder. I redownloaded my GPX file from my PQ into that folder. When I view the map on the GPS, they still aren't showing. I'll play around with the map layers now.

Auggies

What Red90 said is most likely the case. You're looking at your computer's drive.

If you click on "My Computer" (or whatever it is called) on your desktop or in Explorer, you should see a drive / device whose icon is a blue triangle. That's your Oregon. It should even tell you that it is a "Garmin Oregon".

If you look at the map, it should show you nearby caches. Click on a cache, the name should be displayed at the top (it's a little hard to do it with a finger - try fingernail or the blunt end of a pen). Click on the name, the cache (or waypoint) is displayed and you can choose to "Go" to it.

If you don't see geocaches on the map where you know there should be one, try playing around by disabling map layers. Seemed to work for me (but I'm running a beta firmware).

Let me know if you would like screen caps.

On another topic, GSAK works just fine. I use the Colorado export macro. I prefer it to copying a PQ directly onto the unit.

Now I get what you're both saying. I hooked up my GPS and I see the GPX folder. I redownloaded my GPX file from my PQ into that folder. When I view the map on the GPS, they still aren't showing. I'll play around with the map layers now.

Do the caches show up in the list view?

Also, the Oregon might need some time to "digest" the data and display it properly. I don't have enough hands-on time with it to know for sure yet.

Here's a screen cap.

748258353_Yb73J-O.jpg

Okay, I feel like a bonehead. I got the geocaches showing on the map. I needed to zoom in more. I had the map showing about a 10 mile radius and they didn't show. I zoomed in to 5 miles and they popped up.

Glad that's resolved :D It gave me the opportunity to explore some other things with my Oregon and learn more about it, so it's a good thing. I should thank you instead :mad: