European ski resort maps..

PSHAX

Completely off topic.. So here goes!

I'm off to Serre Chevalier in a couple of weeks for a spot of piste bashing and caching, and just found a site where you can get downloadable ski resort maps. So if anyone is contemplating sliding down a mountain avec GPSr, here's the linky..

I've just popped the full Europe mapload on my Colorado, and it looks to be worth the effort to download, especially as the maps are free.

And I've also just paid for the Snowranger maps too.. Aint that bloody typical!! :o

Brilliant link - Thank you [8D]

I nearly bought the snowranger maps last year when i went skiing in Alpe D'Huez (I managed to find the cache at the bottom of the longest black run in the world!)

I will definitely download these free ones [:o]

Hope you have a great holiday!

Cheers

Diddi

I'm off to Serre Chevalier in a couple of weeks for a spot of piste bashing and caching, and just found a site where you can get downloadable ski resort maps. So if anyone is contemplating sliding down a mountain avec GPSr, here's the linky..

I've just popped the full Europe mapload on my Colorado, and it looks to be worth the effort to download, especially as the maps are free.

And I've also just paid for the Snowranger maps too.. Aint that bloody typical!! :o

Thanks Paul, it's OSM data and I had already used the OSM site to build a map of Schladming, which is where we are going. Regrettably the data is far from complete, maybe I'll be able to log some data while I'm there and add to it.

Rgds, Andy

And I've also just paid for the Snowranger maps too.. Aint that bloody typical!! :laughing:

Great idea. Looked at web site and it seems there may be some Internet Explorer browser problems which need to be fixed for a down load. But will give it a go anyway.

Off to Morzine in Feb for some relaxation and maybe will get a chance to beat my GPS indicated top down hill speed of 64.0 mph. Not sure how accurate these units are at measuring speed on a gradient / at altitude however as it felt more like 100mph [when I lost control and fell !]

:laughing::)

And I've also just paid for the Snowranger maps too.. Aint that bloody typical!! :laughing:

Great idea. Looked at web site and it seems there may be some Internet Explorer browser problems which need to be fixed for a down load. But will give it a go anyway.

Off to Morzine in Feb for some relaxation and maybe will get a chance to beat my GPS indicated top down hill speed of 64.0 mph. Not sure how accurate these units are at measuring speed on a gradient / at altitude however as it felt more like 100mph [when I lost control and fell !]

:):D

Will be around Kitzbuhel and Kirchburg in the Austrian Tirol over new year. Doesn't seem to be any maps for that area :laughing:

Edited by Pharisee
Will be around Kitzbuhel and Kirchburg in the Austrian Tirol over new year. Doesn't seem to be any maps for that area :laughing:

If you visit http://www.openstreetmap.org/ , which is where the data comes from in the first place, and search for Kitzbuhel, you'll find some stuff, it's then a case of getting it off OSM into your Garmin. If you can't do that yourself, let me know and I'll see if I can find some time to do it or you could request that area off the ski site.

Rgds, Andy

If you visit http://www.openstreetmap.org/ , which is where the data comes from in the first place, and search for Kitzbuhel, you'll find some stuff, it's then a case of getting it off OSM into your Garmin. If you can't do that yourself, let me know and I'll see if I can find some time to do it or you could request that area off the ski site.

Rgds, Andy

Andy,

Is there an idiots guide to getting the OSM data into a garmin IMG file? I've had a quick look and as I'm not really up on command line stuff I think I need a 'type this' and 'click here' type of thing

Andy K

Is there an idiots guide to getting the OSM data into a garmin IMG file? I've had a quick look and as I'm not really up on command line stuff I think I need a 'type this' and 'click here' type of thing

Andy K

Hi Andy, Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I've got an Oregon - Colorados and Oregons can use a custom bitmap format but that's not the same as the vector IMG format. If you need IMG then my method (gMapMaker and Mapc2Mapc) won't be any good for you. But I just typed "OSM to IMG" into google and there were loads of hits, here is the first one http://freegeographytools.com/2007/convert...rmin-img-format .

If that one doesn't suit I think there are plenty of alternatives.

And John (Pharisee) there is fair coverage of Kitzbuhel on the OSM site. Not complete, but few resorts are yet.

Rgds, Andy

And I've also just paid for the Snowranger maps too.. Aint that bloody typical!! :unsure:

Cool website thanks