Garmin Forerunner won't talk to computer anymore!

MMarshall

I've had a Garmin Forerunner for over three years now, nary a problem. All that time I've had a USB to serial connector plugged into a USB port, always ready to connect the Forerunner, first to a Garmin program, then to GSAK, and lately to Garmin's Connect website.

Now, all of a sudden, I can't connect anymore. GSAK says "Garmin: Can't Init Com5." The Garmin program CRASHES with a blue screen that says "IRQL NOT LESS THAN" The connect website just says there's nothing there.

If I unplug the USB connector, Vista promptly removes it from device manager, and re-installs it when I plug it back in. Manually remove and re-install the driver, to no avail.

Garmin won't help me, says the problem is with the USB connector.

The things only cost $16, but I really don't think a new one will help.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, all!

Mike

I've had a Garmin Forerunner for over three years now, nary a problem. All that time I've had a USB to serial connector plugged into a USB port, always ready to connect the Forerunner, first to a Garmin program, then to GSAK, and lately to Garmin's Connect website.

Now, all of a sudden, I can't connect anymore. GSAK says "Garmin: Can't Init Com5." The Garmin program CRASHES with a blue screen that says "IRQL NOT LESS THAN" The connect website just says there's nothing there.

If I unplug the USB connector, Vista promptly removes it from device manager, and re-installs it when I plug it back in. Manually remove and re-install the driver, to no avail.

Garmin won't help me, says the problem is with the USB connector.

The things only cost $16, but I really don't think a new one will help.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, all!

Mike

First try with an other PC, running XP for example.

Strange that a defective external USB hardware would lead to a Vista crash but again, Vista is such a pain, no one knows for sure.

Have you been using the same computer with Vista OS the last three years?

Any other apps using ports, cameras, storage devices, etc?

Oh, yes. I have a mutli-card reader installed, I think it's just plugged into USB inside. Also use a USB cable to connect to my Garmin Nuvi. Both those work fine.

Think I'll try a different USB port....

Thanks, all!

Mike

O-

You might have a com port conflict. Try changing the COM port #.

Thank you!

Don't know why I would have a conflict, haven't added any devices in years. Tried a different USB port, which also changed the COM port to 7, for some reason. Still no luck.

Clicked on "COM port" in the driver, WOW! Didn't know they went that high! Picked 73, totally at random. GSAK recognized it right away, and I'm good.

Thanks again!

Mike

O-

Well, it worked for a while!

Stopped working again, repeated changes to com port don't work anymore.

Any idea what's causing this?

Thanks, again!

Mike

poor connection in the wiring of the adapter??

Well, it worked fine for a while after I switched the Com Ports, so I'm thinking it's a software thing.....

Thanks,

Mike

O-

Well, it worked for a while!

Stopped working again, repeated changes to com port don't work anymore.

Any idea what's causing this?

Thanks, again!

Mike

poor connection in the wiring of the adapter??

Exactly correct!

For some reason, the plug has to be pushed VERY hard into the cradle, gave me fits when I first got it. Now all that pushing seems to have pushed the tip connector far enough in that it won't work most of the time. Couldn't find a way to buy just the cradle, so spent $30 on a new serial cable, charger and cradle. Beats buying a new GPS, though!

Thanks a lot!

Mike