How many Geocaches do Garmin units hold?

So looking in the specs at the Garmin GPS units they state they usually hold between 500 and 1000 Waypoints/favorites/locations. Are these the same as Geocaches or are they looked at different?

I have a Nuvi 500 and it states it holds 500 Waypoints/favorites/locations. Does that mean it will only hold 500 geocaches as well? Also what happens if you go over this limit? Will it just cut off some of them if you tried to load more?

Ive got the etrex venture hc. it holds 500 waypoints. a geocache is a waypoint with just a different image on the screen. when it reaches 500 it pops a message on the screen saying that it is full. I just limit my PQs to 500 and then no problems. As i find caches i delete them in case i want to find a mulitcache and need to enter the coords (I suppose i could just limit my PQs to 495...)

Did you try to load geocaches in as GPX, into the \garmin\gpx directory (similar to Colorado / Oregon)?

If it is similar to the Colorado / Oregon, it should be 200 GPX or 2000 geocaches, whichever comes first.

You can also see this reply by StarBrand.

If you load them as custom POI, the # you can load should be pretty big (I have over 4000 custom POI entries in my Nuvi).

I utilize a Nuvi 760 and I use GSAK with a nuvi macro and export them out as custom POI's. I think I have something like 6000 locations on the SD card. When the unit fires up it asks if you want to load them in memory I tell it no, it still finds them on the card. On the 760 if you load them to memory its limited to 1000.

I've been wondering about this too. I have a Garmin map60csx, which holds 1000 caches (including waypoints for parking, etc.). I've heard you can add more by making them POI waypoints... how do you do that? I just switched from a PC to a Mac, so now I use MacCaching instead of GSAK.

Thanks,

BiPR

I've been wondering about this too. I have a Garmin map60csx, which holds 1000 caches (including waypoints for parking, etc.). I've heard you can add more by making them POI waypoints... how do you do that? I just switched from a PC to a Mac, so now I use MacCaching instead of GSAK.

Thanks,

BiPR

I have not been successful with MacCaching (not patient enough). I also run an iMac, however I run parallels on it so I can still run GSAK. So I no help there. I find the GSAK to nuvi macro and the garmin poi loader to be so fool proof I continue to use that. Good luck, hopefully someone using MacCaching can give us both some advice.

The 60CS and CSx models will hold 1000 as geocache waypoints. I have loaded over 20000 as POIs, and there appears to be virtually no limit to the number that can be loaded in this manner. It's a little work, but well worth it.

My Oregon 400T holds 2000 as pocket queries. I also load the POIs, and have every cache in Idaho and Utah, plus a lot in CO, AZ, and WY...probably around 30000 loaded as POIs.

I just ordered an Oregon 550T, and it is supposed to hold 5000 as pocket queries. I will do the same POI upload as in the 400T, and I expect it to hold at least as many.

Difference between loading as waypoints vs. loading as POIs is you can't edit, delete, or use the geocaching functions on a POI. You can still navigate to it, but if your GPS has dedicated geocaching functions, they will not work when navigating to a cache loaded as a POI. Since I log all my caches either with textmarks or an iPhone anyway, that is not an issue, and is a minor inconvenience, considering the POI tool allows you to load entire states at one time.

If you are using the Nüvi Macro and convert GPX caches to POI, there are no limit of how many cache you can have. Millions if you like.

(Disk Size will stop you of course)

Thanks for that little note. I use my Nuvi 255WT as my navigation GPSr in the car and it's nice to have caches loaded but I've been hesitant to load to many for fear of hitting limits. No fear now :laughing:

The 60CS and CSx models will hold 1000 as geocache waypoints. I have loaded over 20000 as POIs, and there appears to be virtually no limit to the number that can be loaded in this manner. It's a little work, but well worth it.

My Oregon 400T holds 2000 as pocket queries. I also load the POIs, and have every cache in Idaho and Utah, plus a lot in CO, AZ, and WY...probably around 30000 loaded as POIs.

I just ordered an Oregon 550T, and it is supposed to hold 5000 as pocket queries. I will do the same POI upload as in the 400T, and I expect it to hold at least as many.

Difference between loading as waypoints vs. loading as POIs is you can't edit, delete, or use the geocaching functions on a POI. You can still navigate to it, but if your GPS has dedicated geocaching functions, they will not work when navigating to a cache loaded as a POI. Since I log all my caches either with textmarks or an iPhone anyway, that is not an issue, and is a minor inconvenience, considering the POI tool allows you to load entire states at one time.

So how do you load POIs, as opposed to geocache waypoints, on a 60csx? Sorry for the basic question, but I'm looking for step-by-step guidance. My "export to GPS" (currently from MacCaching, but also used to do from GSAK) sent them straight to geocache waypoints. Thanks.