Bushnell Onix 400 --- Help ----

fatjimmy

I received my Bushnell Onix 400 from Woot.com today... It will be a Christmas gift to myself.. Needless to say My wife says I have to wait like the kids. LOL So I need you all's help. I am a little new at Geo Caching. I tried it out with inferior equipment a couple summers ago. I love it. But not enough money to get a real GPS. I got the ONIX off Wootfor a steal. I am dying to use it. How can I just download the waypoint off the Geocache site right into the GPS?? I did install the software on my PC, so I can get prepared to launch on Christmas day. Do I have to key in each waypoint individually???? I don't see anywhere to download loc file in the software. Please help... My son is excited to do this too... Thanks Fat Jimmy

Edited by fatjimmy

I hate to throw a wet blanket on your excitement, but I fear you may soon discover the Onix units are not very Geocaching friendly. From what I have read here there seems to be no way to download Geocache waypoints from the site to the device. If you search this forum you will find several previous threads on these units which might be helpful.

I'm afraid I'd have to agree with Indotguy. First, you have to believe there's a reason the Bushnell has been selling for such very low prices (kind of like the Magellan Triton series). It has no added features or enhancements for geocaching. The reviews I've read since the 400 came out haven't been very flattering although you'll find a few positive reviews from buyers at Amazon. None of those positive reviews on Amazon however, mention anything about geocaching, only hunting, fishing, and hiking. I've also heard bad things about Bushnell's customer support but I have no first hand knowledge.

It may be a good unit for other tasks but it doesn't look like Bushnell has much interest in targeting geocaching enthusiasts.

Thanks for the input... but that is for uploading... i just want to download from the geo Cache site to my onix...

Whether the download comes from the cache page, or a pocket query(be a premium member for this) loaded into GSAK or another app, you are still loading a gpx or loc file.

My understanding is your new unit reads a different format, wpt. Robert Lipe, master of GPS Babel is agreeing to engineer a script to convert your gpx file to wpt so your unit will be caching friendly. You have already found that GC.com doesn't support this format. Your best hope is to do the following, IMO.

Hop on over there and chime in that you also need this feature and are willing to supply input and test results. The list is growing, seems a lot of folks saw the woot. The more people needing, requesting the support, the more apt it is to be implemented.

if nothing else it looks like you can use the software that came with the unit and then just do a copy paste into a waypoint...it is slower than with a garmin but not so bad... it is how we do it with my wife's triton ... I did a look up when I saw the woot a day too late... to me it looks like a pretty neat system...maybe not ideal for geocaching but it does have some pretty neat features.. the XM weather could be a huge plus for anyone like me that only does geocaching when on camping trips with the kids...

if nothing else it looks like you can use the software that came with the unit and then just do a copy paste into a waypoint...it is slower than with a garmin but not so bad... it is how we do it with my wife's triton ... I did a look up when I saw the woot a day too late... to me it looks like a pretty neat system...maybe not ideal for geocaching but it does have some pretty neat features.. the XM weather could be a huge plus for anyone like me that only does geocaching when on camping trips with the kids...

I had thought that at one time, but when I'm planning a hike, I'm also looking at the weather and plan accordingly. I decided it wasn't offering enough for all of my interests and was limited in capability. The pricing for the aerials satellite imagery is also prohibitive for any large area and not very useful for hiking. It's in line with where DeLorme was with their pricing before they went to the $30 annual subscription for what you want. To give you an idea, the pricing would have put the state of Washington at over $17K for just the satellite imagery. The overlays are overshadowed by other units such as the Garmin and the DeLorme with their capabilities for handling aerials as well as satellite imagery and their special handling each brand is capable of.

The software on the Bushnell website is able to read .gpx files obtained either through pocket queries or GSAK. Upload the .gpx file to the software and it plots the waypoints into the map. From their you can download these waypoints into your gps device. Its a couple of extra steps but seems to work reasonably well. The only big issue is large gpx files seem to choke the software. I have kept the lists to ~50 caches or so and not had an issue.

It

Ok... I have tried opening the gpx and the loc file with GSAK... Then exporting the file into gpx format... put the file into the waypoint file for the Buschnell software... and still cannot see the waypoint... I am a extreme newbee at this but, I have advanced computer skills. If you elaborate, I will try and understand... Thank you for your help.

The software on the Bushnell website is able to read .gpx files obtained either through pocket queries or GSAK. Upload the .gpx file to the software and it plots the waypoints into the map. From their you can download these waypoints into your gps device. Its a couple of extra steps but seems to work reasonably well. The only big issue is large gpx files seem to choke the software. I have kept the lists to ~50 caches or so and not had an issue.

It

I am also trying to get waypoints loaded is it possible to post a step by step procedure i know i am asking for a lot , I am very new at this and need some guidance Thank You

Regards.

Edited by nyhunter67

1. Go to http://www.bushnell.com/products/gps/ and register your device.

2. Once you login you should be @ the GPS Navsystem page. Click the yellow DOWNLOAD MAPS HERE link in upper righthand corner.

3. This will bring up Bushnell's Online mapping software. (This is different than the downloadable software)

4. Bottom left hand corner should be a Text box with a Browse... icon. Browse to where you have saved you GPX waypoint file. (I use pocket queries to create the files) Try to keep the icon file small if possible. I have had the best luck if they are 50 waypoints or smaller.

5. Select upload. Once complete you will see the waypoints populate under the "My WayPoints" section under "MyMaps" in left side window pane.

6. Expand "My Waypoints" Place a checkmark beside each waypoint u wish to load into the GPS device.

7. Click and drag individual waypoints or the entire My Waypoints to the window under "My GPS"

8. Use the dropdown to select the Type of GPS u have (Onix 400)

9. Click Download link. Another window should open asking you wether you want to save the files to your computer or your GPS device. Select Download to GPS and browse to root of GPS device (It should show up as removable disc) I have had very little luck saving it to PC but saving directly to GPS seems to work w/o issue.

10. There should be a status bar during the download. You will be notified upon completion of the upload.

11. Reboot GPS.

12. The waypoints should now be visible on the map screen.

Common issues.

The online software is buggy with Firefox. Use IE.

You may have to turn off your pop up blocker if the download window does not open.

You must use .gpx files. The device cannot read LOC files.

I will try to load some screenshots and shots of the device later if i can. I apologize for taking so long. Holidays can be very hectic.

2. Once you login you should be @ the GPS Navsystem page. Click the yellow DOWNLOAD MAPS HERE link in upper righthand corner.

3. This will bring up Bushnell's Online mapping software. (This is different than the downloadable software)

4. Bottom left hand corner should be a Text box with a Browse... icon. Browse to where you have saved you GPX waypoint file. (I use pocket queries to create the files) Try to keep the icon file small if possible. I have had the best luck if they are 50 waypoints or smaller.

5. Select upload. Once complete you will see the waypoints populate under the "My WayPoints" section under "MyMaps" in left side window pane.

6. Expand "My Waypoints" Place a checkmark beside each waypoint u wish to load into the GPS device.

7. Click and drag individual waypoints or the entire My Waypoints to the window under "My GPS"

8. Use the dropdown to select the Type of GPS u have (Onix 400)

9. Click Download link. Another window should open asking you wether you want to save the files to your computer or your GPS device. Select Download to GPS and browse to root of GPS device (It should show up as removable disc) I have had very little luck saving it to PC but saving directly to GPS seems to work w/o issue.

10. There should be a status bar during the download. You will be notified upon completion of the upload.

11. Reboot GPS.

12. The waypoints should now be visible on the map screen.

Common issues.

The online software is buggy with Firefox. Use IE.

You may have to turn off your pop up blocker if the download window does not open.

You must use .gpx files. The device cannot read LOC files.

I will try to load some screenshots and shots of the device later if i can. I apologize for taking so long. Holidays can be very hectic.

Thank you for taking the time to assemble this write up

Regards and Have a Happy Holidays

Edited by nyhunter67

A good set of instructions howevere I always get "Service error: There was an error processing the request." when I click on "Upload."

What's interesting is that the "My WayPoints" shows the waypoints I upload successfully even when the thing gives an error message.

Note to self: Never purchase a Bushnell. I do Foresdtry work using a Garmin which does not force its users to go through such hoops.

I could not get it to work either... I would however like to sell this GPS to anyone who would like to have it.

My son and I were able to get his Onix 200 working with the Bushnell web site to load 39 waypoints however it took 2 hours, then when we went to load the next set of waypoints, the Bushnell web site was no longer responding after clicking on "download maps" -- with either FireFox or IE, an EtherReal sniff showed that the Bushnell server simply stopped pushing data across the TCP connection.

:) I agree with the comment someone else posted: Cheaper is not better.

The Garmin that I played with for a couple of months was expensive however it had a rotating wheel and easy, friendly user interface options that allowed quick operation. The Bushnell method of entering alphanumeric waypoint names is *exhausting* and hard on the fingers, least it was on the new, stuff buttons on my son's Bushnell.

He regrets purchasing it. I'm going to buy him a Garmin to swap it out and maybe give the Bushnell to my worse enemy as a gift. :huh:

Edited by DamOTclese

In case there's anyone left that's still using these, that finds that 39 waypoints isn't enough, doesn't like 12 step programs, or that two hour transfer times just aren't funny, the new GPSBabel beta may bring you joy.

From: http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-developmen...t_bushnell.html

gpsbabel -i gpx -f yourpocketquery.gpx -o bushnell -F e:/WAYPOINT/whatever

(You can also do it with the pointy clicky stuff if that turns you on.)

If your PQ had 432 files, that'll result in 'whatever-0.wpt' through 'whatever-431.wpt' being created on the e: drive (and your Windows installation may put it somewhere else) in the directory on the GPS named WAYPOINT. Wait for it to finish (< 30 secs. typically) and eject the volume.

This seems to work on the 200CR and the 400. It probably works on the others in the product family, but we appreciate reports of success.

Feedback to the GPSBabel list, please.

Send lawyers, guns, and money...

Edited by robertlipe