Question regarding obtaining coordinates for a mystery cache

cezanne

I just came across a mystery cache which does not contain a puzzle and where the task is to ask the hider or a previous finder of the cache (each of them is only allowed to help at most two other cachers) for the coordinates of the cache. To me that seems quite an odd idea and I wonder whether caches of that type already exist in other parts of the world and/or whether such caches would get published there.

As quite often the guidelines are not very clear in that issue, see the citation below. In any case "may not be" is quite fuzzy.

For example, a puzzle that requires research on public websites in order to determine the coordinates may be acceptable, while a puzzle that requires sending an email to the cache owner with the solution in order to obtain the coordinates may not be.

NB: I am just curious about other opinions - my intention is not to question the decision of the reviewer who published the cache.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Maybe it was published before that guideline came into existence and was grandfathered in?

No, it is a very fresh cache that has been published today. Moreover, the formulation of the guidelines does not seem to outrule such caches - it rather seems to leave the decision to the reviewers.

Cezanne

No, it is a very fresh cache that has been published today. Moreover, the formulation of the guidelines does not seem to outrule such caches - it rather seems to leave the decision to the reviewers.

I see... well, I'm not sure what happened then. Either the reviewer is not aware, or not concerned about, that particular section of the guidelines.

Personally I'm not too crazy about the whole idea, but I wouldn't protest either. I think it is interesting to have different ideas for geocaches, and I don't have to go for any that I don't think I'll find enjoyable.

I just came across a mystery cache which does not contain a puzzle and where the task is to ask the hider or a previous finder of the cache (each of them is only allowed to help at most two other cachers) for the coordinates of the cache.

As quite often the guidelines are not very clear in that issue, see the citation below. In any case "may not be" is quite fuzzy.

For example, a puzzle that requires research on public websites in order to determine the coordinates may be acceptable, while a puzzle that requires sending an email to the cache owner with the solution in order to obtain the coordinates may not be.

NB: I am just curious about other opinions - my intention is not to question the decision of the reviewer who published the cache.

Hi... that doesn't seem as fuzzy as some things can... I haven't seen the cache in question itself, but from your description the coordinates are only required to be asked for (with limitations on how often someone needs to be asked for their sanity).. The guideline you quoted indicates submitting the solution to a puzzle as a requirement. ALR it's not, it's a condition of finding the cache... just like solving a puzzle or doing a navigation task... If you find the cache, you can log it. It may be a bit different, especially in some areas where strangers don't talk much... but I'd be fine with doing it or not...

Doug

(each of them is only allowed to help at most two other cachers)

how on EARTH do they expect to enforce THAT provision?

"did you tell more than two people?"

"no, ma'am. i have no idea why all of downtown skaneateles seems to know."

Edited by flask

(each of them is only allowed to help at most two other cachers)

how on EARTH do they expect to enforce THAT provision?

"did you tell more than two people?"

"no, ma'am. i have no idea why all of downtown skaneateles seems to know."

Here is what the hider came up with:

The finders of the cache are asked to mention in their log who has provided them with the coordinates.

So far all finders complied to that request though of course it cannot be enforced (in that case it would turn into an ARL). I agree with you that it would be hard to find any reasonable enforcement.

For my question it does not make a difference, however, if there is an upper bound on the number of cachers one is allowed to provide with the coordinates. Therefore I put that information in parentheses.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne