DeLorme PN Series Region Maps

GrateBear

The reason I ask what is on the maps is because they seem to take up a lot of space on a SD card. I just got a PN-40 and, of course, wanted to put my local region map on a SD card. It's a 2GB card and it is not big enough for one region's maps. Even the state, ID, took up almost half the card.

I had a Legend Cx and could put the entire U.S. CN map on a 2GB card.

I'm still playing around with the unit, but can't find anything other than the street maps.

Is there something I'm missing?

The reason I ask what is on the maps is because they seem to take up a lot of space on a SD card. I just got a PN-40 and, of course, wanted to put my local region map on a SD card. It's a 2GB card and it is not big enough for one region's maps. Even the state, ID, took up almost half the card.

I had a Legend Cx and could put the entire U.S. CN map on a 2GB card.

I'm still playing around with the unit, but can't find anything other than the street maps.

Is there something I'm missing?

Move the cursor over to a mountainous area and then zoom in and out.

Somwhere zooming into Zoom Level 12 and closer and you should see the contour lines.

I'm assuming that you have installed your detail, region maps from one of the four region DVDs?

Check these for getting started:

http://pn-series.wiki.delorme.com/

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/

http://pn-series.wiki.delorme.com/Getting+Started

Also:

http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Map+Layering

Great help at the DeLorme Fourm:

http://forums.delorme.com/

As Cowboy is pointing out, what you're loading from the regional DVDs or from TOPO 8 is both routable street detail and 1:100K topo. Going through the Wiki will help explain how you can adjust the

PN-40 to best view and layer maps the way you like. You'll find that downloaded raster imagery (if you get the $30 all you can eat subscription) will take up substantially more space on the SD card. Most 40 users quickly find that having a 16GB SDHC card is the best memory bang for the buck right now. You can pick up a Transcend 16GB card with SDHC card reader for about $45 from Newegg or Amazon.

Does anyone know for sure whether or not Delorme Topo USA (versions 7, 8, or 9) maps contain public land ownership data? I've heard unverified reports of that data being a download / add-in to the maps. Can someone please verify and, if it is available, could anyone comment on the detail of such data. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know for sure whether or not Delorme Topo USA (versions 7, 8, or 9) maps contain public land ownership data? I've heard unverified reports of that data being a download / add-in to the maps. Can someone please verify and, if it is available, could anyone comment on the detail of such data. Thanks in advance!

In Topo 7 & 8, it's a download, and I think free but I'm not 100% sure. I don't think it's 100% complete nation-wide, but it does get updated. You would then have to cut a map from TopoUSA to get the data onto your GPS. I don't know what the level of detail is as I've never looked at it myself.

If you can post an area you're interested, I or someone else w/ TopoUSA can get a screenshot for you, I'm sure.

No one can answer publicly for T9, as it's not released yet - anyone who knows is under NDA.

Thanks Dakboy! ;)

If anyone would be willing to post a screenshot of Helena, MT (and surrounding area, 10x10 miles) I would be forever grateful. It would really tell me alot about the data used if I could see it represented in a screenshot of the area. Thanks in advance! :anicute:

added: I need to know what kind of public land data is used before I purchase units for field crews this summer. As bugets are stretched like never before, I'm not sure if I could afford Xmap right now to get the public land data on my units.

Edited by yogazoo

If anyone would be willing to post a screenshot of Helena, MT (and surrounding area, 10x10 miles) I would be forever grateful. It would really tell me alot about the data used if I could see it represented in a screenshot of the area. Thanks in advance! :anicute:

I think I've already got all of the public land data DeLorme has, so either I've got it, or DeLorme doesn't offer it to TopoUSA users. I'll see what I can cook up tonight. Maybe they have more data for XMap users, I don't know.

added: I need to know what kind of public land data is used before I purchase units for field crews this summer. As bugets are stretched like never before, I'm not sure if I could afford Xmap right now to get the public land data on my units.
Give DeLorme's sales folks a call (it's toll-free, so all it'll cost you is a little time), find out what they think you need & what it'll cost. I don't think (but I may be totally wrong and DeLorme will give you the right answer) you need 10 full XMap licenses if you have 10 devices.

Sorry, looks like I don't have much to show. I have a couple of district boundaries marked off by Montana FWP, but that's it. There's probably more data on the regional DVD but since I'm on the east coast, I didn't bother installing any of that and my discs are buried somewhere in the house.

Does this help you Yogazoo? (I got busy with final exams this week).

Helena.jpg

I think the purple areas are supposed to be public lands...you would know better than I what they actually represent in this case. However, they appear to be identified only in the base map. Below is a zoomed-in view of Hauser Lake. As best as I can see, there's no indication of those purple boundaries.

HauserLake.jpg

Topo8 does offer me a download of 208KB for Montana Game Management District data. For some odd reason, I am unable to download any of the game management data. I've never been able to figure out why, but since I don't need it I've never pursued it.