Decoy?

I have a cache that was placed in July and has 27 finds.

The last person to look for it I think found it buy they said they found the decoy but not the real deal?

I sent them a message and the said they found an M&M tube in a tree with a laminated card "This is a Decoy"

My cache was an M&M tube with log sheet in a tree.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to their cache?

That's weird. At first I thought it could have been a newer cacher who thought they were supposed to take the log, but after remembering that a "decoy" card had been dropped in there, I realized that wouldn't be the case.

It sounds like a cacher is doing it to play tricks on people or something like that. Did you let the finder that notified you log it as a find?

Reminds me of a cache named "Decoy" around here. I couldn't find the actual cache, but I did find a decoy micro hanging in a tree with a note inside saying it was the "decoy." My DNF log noted that I'd found the decoy but not the cache. I got an e-mail from the owner saying he didn't know what on earth I'd found, but that the cache was a duck decoy (like hunters use). The owner didn't know about the micro decoy. What apparently happened is one of the owner's friends put up the little decoy to mess with the owner, and the owner was unaware of this for many months. Not the same thing you've got going on, but enough similarities that I had to mention it.

I went and checked it out. The original cache was gone and the "decoy" was there.

I took it down and replaced the original cache.

So someone removed your M&M tube with logsheet, and replaced it with a M&M tube with a piece of paper with the words "decoy"??

I think we need DENelson to coin a new term for this type of behavior...

Odd, very odd. At least they just didn't flat out take the container and left you another one.

Maybe you could hide another cache somewhere and call it decoy. Use their container as the decoy and then put a deviously hidden cache within a few feet of the decoy. Make a joke out of it. "The decoy should be easy to see." "This is placed in honor or another cache I have."

That's quite possible but it's on the way to work so no problem.

I just hate to archive it without trying this first.

You could just move it a bit and change the coordinates. The trickster may find it unattractive to have to re-find the cache again just to play the trick. Not sure how far you are allowed to move it before you need a reviewer to re-review it, but either way, should be no problem.

If he(you) change the coordinates, can people who have logged it previously re-log it? Well I guess they CAN, the question is, do people think that is 'acceptable'?

We found a film canister in a old logging water wagon that was missing the log book. We thought we were doing the right thing by putting in a new log book and claiming a find. I e-mail the owner telling what we did.

She replied saying that was the decoy and there should have been a note inside saying it was a decoy and to keep looking. She said we could go ahead and claim it as a find. We did and the next time we went by the cache we found the real cache and logged a note.

We found a film canister in a old logging water wagon that was missing the log book. We thought we were doing the right thing by putting in a new log book and claiming a find. I e-mail the owner telling what we did.

She replied saying that was the decoy and there should have been a note inside saying it was a decoy and to keep looking. She said we could go ahead and claim it as a find. We did and the next time we went by the cache we found the real cache and logged a note.

I'll bet somebody has some nice photographs of that old logging water wagon. Probably either at the end of a roll of film, or on the beginning (or both).