Lat/Log field addition to Discovered!

svaquarelle

Cachers,

I suggest a discussion revolving around the various merits/downside of adding an optional lat/log field to a Discovered TB. This might increase participation on auto and personal bugs. Depending upon the complexity of doing this, it might also be useful in recording mileage on items which tend to spend longer periods of time traveling between caches. I invite all comments, positive and negative assuming that this is technically possible to accomplish. Thanks for your consideration.

SVAQUARELLE

This sounds a bit like the TB/Coin "pitstop" log that OpinioNate mentioned here.

I think that's a fantastic idea, as long as I'm not required to get coordinates - I might not always have my GPS with me, or I might be on the move (I chased a car w/ a TB sticker for about 5 miles one night trying to get the tracking number. No, I'm not joking.).

This sounds a bit like the TB/Coin "pitstop" log that OpinioNate mentioned here.

I think that's a fantastic idea, as long as I'm not required to get coordinates - I might not always have my GPS with me, or I might be on the move (I chased a car w/ a TB sticker for about 5 miles one night trying to get the tracking number. No, I'm not joking.).

I agree, the pitstop idea is virtually the same. I read through the entire log and apparently there was no response from GS. Anyway, there it is and I believe it has merit as do others who are apparently seeking similar capability for tracking purposes. Thanks for commenting!

svaquarelle

I agree, the pitstop idea is virtually the same. I read through the entire log and apparently there was no response from GS. Anyway, there it is and I believe it has merit as do others who are apparently seeking similar capability for tracking purposes. Thanks for commenting!

To clarify, the "pitstop" idea was suggested by a Groundspeak Lackey (OpinioNate). I am not sure what other validation you are looking for. It is safe to assume that the concept will be reviewed with the development team, unless they start locking Nate out of the meetings again. ;)

Let's create a new trackable log type called "Pitstop" (or something) that lets you post a log with a coordinate. We can show these logs as stops on the trackable map.

How about that. I suggested something akin to this back in July of 2004.

I've been musing about an idea for some time now - ever since I handed off a travel bug to someone else and we were no where near a cache.

Would it be possible to add a feature that if you are handing a travel bug off to another person to add coordinates for that transfer?

It's not a problem if it's done at an event or something like that, but let's say I'm going to meet another local cacher that happens to be able to get the bug closer to the goal. I'm meeting him at Nabby's at 902 N Michigan St, Plainfield, IL. I can determine from Maporama that the coords are 41.6133, -88.2011 and verify them with Lostoutdoors.com as actually 41.613944, -88.202047 (or I could mark the coords with my GPS at the handoff - whatever).

Wouldn't it be nifty to be able to track that handoff location without an actual transfer in and out of a cache?

I know there are some workarounds possible with using unapproved archived cache pages, etc. I'm looking for the possibility of an above-the-board addition to the Travel Bug logging.

Edited by Markwell