TB logging etiquette

osmodion

This weekend I was on holiday for Thanksgiving and I only had time to log a few caches before getting back home. Upon arriving home, I discovered that someone had retrieved a geocoin I dropped off and sent an email dated the day after drop off. The person who sent the email was requesting that I log it as having been dropped off. The same day that person logged the geocoin as having been taken from me, found in the cache where I had originally found it, and dropped in the cache I left it in. I did not know of, much less read, the email or any of these logs until yesterday, when I arrived back home.

While not a life-altering experience, I was looking forward to logging that I had carried a geocoin across the country to return it to its mission. :huh: Is this standard practice when a coin is not immediately logged as dropped off? I was under the impression that a few days, at a minimum, was considered polite since not everyone can log while traveling.

The coin in question is http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...62-5b20f488996b

it is courtesy but unfortunately not everyone is aware of that.

There could be a situation where I pick up a traveler move it to another cache, go home to log it only to find it hasn't been dropped yet. Now it's two caches off and at a greater risk of being lost. I think after a day I would have to end up grabbing it away, although I would log it into the cache I found it in first.

Just remember to have fun with the traveler, take pictures, tell stories, before you drop it off.

This weekend I was on holiday for Thanksgiving and I only had time to log a few caches before getting back home. Upon arriving home, I discovered that someone had retrieved a geocoin I dropped off and sent an email dated the day after drop off. The person who sent the email was requesting that I log it as having been dropped off. The same day that person logged the geocoin as having been taken from me, found in the cache where I had originally found it, and dropped in the cache I left it in. I did not know of, much less read, the email or any of these logs until yesterday, when I arrived back home.

While not a life-altering experience, I was looking forward to logging that I had carried a geocoin across the country to return it to its mission. :blink: Is this standard practice when a coin is not immediately logged as dropped off? I was under the impression that a few days, at a minimum, was considered polite since not everyone can log while traveling.

The coin in question is http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...62-5b20f488996b

I recommend getting an Iphone or a laptop :laughing: I probably would have done the same thing. Not very patient waiting around for people to log stuff. I'd probably wait a day at most if I saw that it was just dropped off. Then I'd make sure the bug was logged correctly. I always log everything as soon as I get home from a caching trip, but could do it from my Iphone too if I wanted to.

I don't ever take a TB from one cache and then drop it in another cache on the same caching trip. I always take it home, log it, take pictures or whatever, look at it's history blah blah and then I put it in my caching bag to be placed next time I go out caching. It helps with making sure stuff is logged correctly and I get to enjoy the TB a bit before sending it back out on it's journey.

Edited by K9 Royale

... I discovered that someone had retrieved a geocoin I dropped off and sent an email dated the day after drop off. The person who sent the email was requesting that I log it as having been dropped off. The same day that person logged the geocoin as having been taken from me, found in the cache where I had originally found it, and dropped in the cache I left it in. I did not know of, much less read, the email or any of these logs until yesterday, when I arrived back home...

While not a life-altering experience, I was looking forward to logging that I had carried a geocoin across the country to return it to its mission. :)

I understand. :)

As BlueDeuce says, "it is courtesy [to wait for the previous cacher to do their log] but unfortunately not everyone is aware of that."

By looking back through previous logs, you can often tell when someone's travelling around an area on holiday so they may not be able to do their logging for a while. It's considerate to hold off grabbing a trackable from them and give them some time.

MrsB

Bummer! I feel for you, osmodion. I really enjoy finding and moving travellers, and being preempted with the cross-country drop would be sad for me as well. I have found travellers before they've been logged and then emailed the person who had the traveller before me. Sometimes this works, and other times I've waited an entire week before taking care of the situation myself. This is not meant to be a negative action towards the person who dropped it, but only to keep things accurate and current for the owner of the traveller. If I were to leave some trackables in caches, then there might be logs from the future finders that "TB was not in cache" or notes written on the page of the trackable...all of which cause owner frustration, even if we release things we are willing to lose!

On the positive side, at least the finder did the virtual drop to keep the mileage accurate - this has to be a happy thing for the owner of this traveller!

Blue Deuce has a great point. Adding photos and descriptive logs is the best way to be a "remembered mover" in the eyes of the owner of the traveller. Even if someone does a virtual drop before you can get back to a computer, the photos will always be associated with your log and endlessly appreciated by the owner.

Not exactly the same situation, but a TB etiquette question all the same:

I have caching friends in other states. Is it proper TB etiquette to pick up a TB, then send it in the mail to a friend for placing in a new cache? Or does protocol say that if I pick it up, that I must be the person to place it in a new cache?

Thanks,

strawberrycreek

Texas

Not exactly the same situation, but a TB etiquette question all the same:

I have caching friends in other states. Is it proper TB etiquette to pick up a TB, then send it in the mail to a friend for placing in a new cache? Or does protocol say that if I pick it up, that I must be the person to place it in a new cache?

Thanks,

strawberrycreek

Texas

They're supposed to move from cache to cache. You're not supposed to mail them. Some TB owners will mail them to get them started or whatever. I would ask the TB owner before doing anything like that.