Cold Weather Caching

swahe

My family is new to Geocaching. We have been on several adventures over the past few weeks and have had a lot of fun (our 22-month old son has a lot of fun in the woods). What we would like to know is if any expert 'cacher's have advice for Geocahing in the snow and cold? Or are we better off spending the time indoors planning new adventures for the Spring?

Thanks - Stefan, Michelle and Alex

I almost did not respond, because I am not an expert. :unsure:

Living on the south shore of Superior though, I may qualify as somewhat of a deep snow expert. :unsure:

Caching in the winter is favorite time for many cachers. Adjustments of course, must be made for snow, especially deep snow.

Up to knee-deep snow should not pose a real problem -- a poking stick helps to locate the cache proper.

Deeper knee snow, usually requires snowshoes or skis (and a sled for the 22 month-old). The poking stick is still good, but may want to add a shovel also.

Snowmobiles have limited usage it caching (IMO), you still have to get off the machine and it is a bummer to find the snow off the trail is up to your neck, unless you are truly prepared for that. Most of the current crop of snowmobiles are trail sleds, not designed or intended to go through deep soft snow. You'll only wrench your guts out trying to get it unstuck. There are various deep snow models available though.

Try a few in the snow and see how you like them. Keep the kiddie warm. :unsure:

I lived in the UP for a few years while attending NMU, and in looking back I can not imagine caching in that kind of snow. I keep on telling my wife that we simply have to go back for a visit. She continues to give me the cold shoulder to that idea.

Edited by Packanack

I lived in the UP for a few years while attending NMU, and in looking back I can not imagine caching in that kind of snow. I keep on telling my wife that we simply have to go back for a visit. She continues to give me the cold shoulder to that idea.

Tie and gag her.......... and bring her for a visit! Maybe she'll end up liking it! :)

It's best below 10°, when the snow is nice and crunchy. Not heavy and wet (yuck). In fact less than 0° is even better, 'cuz your nose hairs "crack" at that first outdoors deep breath. :) In all truth, it is those temps that make it so the snow doesn't melt on your clothes then turn to ice, you also actually stay warmer that way.

Wind ............. that is a different story, best to stay out of the wind.

Hot dogs (tube steak) and marshmallows over an open fire, at 0° -- that's hard to beat! :)

Ah,memories, do they still serve Pasties ? I really likes Smelt dipping and eating. Tell my kids about jumping off the cliffs at Presque Ilse into Lake Superior and coming out looking like a smurf. Polar Bear Clubs had nothing on that.

I can thank my 4 years in Marquette for getting me off on a good start.

What pretty country. Maybe I will try and convince her for next September , early

Edited by Packanack

Ah,memories, do they still serve Pasties ? I really likes Smelt dipping and eating. Tell my kids about jumping off the cliffs at Presque Ilse into Lake Superior and coming out looking like a smurf. Polar Bear Clubs had nothing on that.

I can thank my 4 years in Marquette for getting me off on a good start.

What pretty country. Maybe I will try and convince her for next September , early

Highlighted -- Is a bullfrog waterproof? You betchabygollygee, ey!

Early Sep. is good, warm (most of the time), no bugs, lots of fresh Superior Lake Trout, too!

Mqt itself is becoming saturated with caches. Don't think another would fit into Presque Isle.

I have been on a at least 1 cache a day streak for over 2 years now and I live in Cleveland Ohio. So yes I have cached in it ALL!! I would say the wind .. yes, is the worst to deal with.

The best advise for cold weather caching is dress warmly and with layers. Keep your feet and your head warm and invest in a GOOD pair of gloves and all is good. Hiking in the snow is really fun... the crisp air is invigorating, and its just a different form of clean beauty. Specially when the ice is glistening in the sun... don't lock yourself away till Spring... get out there and enjoy!! ;)

My family is new to Geocaching. We have been on several adventures over the past few weeks and have had a lot of fun (our 22-month old son has a lot of fun in the woods). What we would like to know is if any expert 'cacher's have advice for Geocahing in the snow and cold? Or are we better off spending the time indoors planning new adventures for the Spring?

As a previous poster said, dress in layers. Make sure you don't need to dig all the way to skin for a pen or other utensil either! A good hat and good socks are a must. Out here in the frozen tundra of Minnesota, we like gaiters, they go over your pants and the tops of your boots to keep the snow from sneaking in and making your feet wet.

Wool warms, cotton kills and under armor saves.

No cotton...anything. As soon as your wet either from the elements or perspiration it is done and so are you.

Socks, take 3 pairs. Warm and dry feet mean a happy cacher!

Fuel the furnace.... Eat high energy foods! Cliff bars or protein bars and stay hydrated.

If its really cold, heat packs on your kidneys will keep your core comfy. Just hold them up with an ace bandage wrap.

--------------------------------------------------

Indoors, NO. Just visit one of the warmer states. :-)