Implementing geocaching into Google Wave

Ryanws

For all those who have not seen or heard of Google Wave watch, this brief video to get an understanding of it.

"Google Wave is an online tool for team communication and collaboration. A wave can be both a conversation and a document where people can discuss and work together using richly formatted text, photos, videos, maps, and more. "

Its in its early stages and its somewhat laggy and buggy. But its really fun to explore and mess around with. I thought that it would be the perfect utility to plan geocache trips as you can map routes on Google maps and insert images ect.Whoever is in the wave can view the edits live and see everything you draw and type.They can also edit and add to the wave. Since its all open source and people can program their own gadgets to work with wave, I was thinking this would attract some geocachers who have the skill and programming knowledge to do so.

The one catch with google wave is that you have to be invited . I have two invites left. It takes an hour or so for the user to receive the invite. It would be great if the two people on this thread who get the invites come back and invite everyone else. I got 6 invites at the start so that should be enough for the two people to spread the invites on the forum. Just tell me if you want an invite and PM me your gmail account or post it here if you want.

Here is a google earth gadget I found, but it doesn't really function all to well. http://www.nurik.net/gadgets/earthwavegadget.xml. While in a wave click reply to type something, then click the green "puzzle" piece to enter the URL to activate the gadget.

Here's a tutorial page on the gadgets in wave. http://code.google.com/apis/wave/extension...gets/guide.html

This is a list of some gadgets http://techpp.com/2009/10/14/ultimate-list...gets-and-tools/

Add me at lanketer@gmail.com I'd be more than happy to help anyone test things. I know a little bit around wave so if you want help I can show you around as well. Hope you guys find this interesting and gather some ideas to produce something cool!

A quick little update:

If you click search in google wave and type "with:public geocaching" you will get a list of all the public geocaching waves.

I'll update this post with helpful links to new bots and gadgets.

Edited by Ryanws

I want an invite please!

Some of the hams in my disaster relief team have been talking about how we might use it.

I said back in 2004 that if anyone is going to take away Groundspeak's football it would be Google, and this app might be the start of that capability.

I see good things in the future, ride the wave! I sent you an invite. Expect it within 1-2 hours. As I noted above, spread the invites to other users on the forum! See ya soon.

The one catch with google wave is that you have to be invited . I have two invites left. It takes an hour or so for the user to receive the invite. It would be great if the two people on this thread who get the invites come back and invite everyone else. I got 6 invites at the start so that should be enough for the two people to spread the invites on the forum. Just tell me if you want an invite and PM me your gmail account or post it here if you want.

You can only send out invites if you received your invite from Google. I got an invite from someone else a few weeks ago but have only been using it infrequently. Just before receiving the invite I had requested an invite on the google sign up page, and by coincidence, I just received a response this morning. Now, when I login to Google Wave I have 8 invites to extend. Unfortunately, I need to extend invites to some of my colleagues first but if I have any left I'll post in this thread again in a few days.

My google wave address is john_fereira@googlewave.com

Seems like a great app, but I don't see it replacing GC.com.

You are right... I said "this app" when I really meant the suite of apps being developed as part of Google Chrome. I am sure Google could care less about Groundspeak but a savvy coder using Google's open tools for mapping and sharing could, if Chrome goes where I think it is going, pretty easily duplicate the listing service.

Groundspeak's security and success relies on its corps of willing volunteers. That's what makes this work and that's what other sites cannot duplicate. The listing service, however, can be pretty easily duplicated.

That's the trouble with breaking ground as Groundspeak has in its development... once you lead the way and show how its done then anyone can do it!

I already have wave. If anyone wants to add me into a geocaching wave, please do.

ashallond (at) googlewave.com

It's not necessary to munge your google wave id. It's not a valid email address, thus if if it's discovered by an email address harvester, and used as an email address, it's going to bounce. When I got my google wave id one of the first things I tried was sending email to it to see what would happen and it bounced.

Something just occured to me, I'm going to be in Prague for a few days at the end of this week and plan to do some caching.

I've looked at some caches and some of the multi/mystery ones are written in Czech but no English translation... I wonder if Google Wave would be useful when it comes to interpreting foreign caches/logs?

That would be a really useful tool to implement - how, I have no idea!

looks like I have the only about:geocaching wave so far. I see potential for this.

I did a search of public waves with geocaching in them and got back 51 waves. It takes some time for the search results to appear but there are quire a few public waves, some general, and some regional that have been started.

That was my mistake. about: just searches your inbox.

Also, while considering creating an event cache at disneyland. I thought that if everyone had the phones that could handle wave. (Droid)

Once the event was over everyone could go attack those multis and virtuals that have you run all over the place, at once.

Just updating the wave as they go so that not everyone has to go to every waypoint.

Then everyone could meet back at the final!