Which version of the PN-40 should I buy?

fishernate

One available package of the PN-40 comes with TOPO 8, another comes with Navionics. The main thing I will be purchasing this for is caching. Is the Navionics just lake maps? Advice is appreciated. My current GPS is a Lowrance iFinder PhD. It is not getting me within 500 ft of the cache locations. Something must be wrong.

One available package of the PN-40 comes with TOPO 8, another comes with Navionics. The main thing I will be purchasing this for is caching. Is the Navionics just lake maps? Advice is appreciated. My current GPS is a Lowrance iFinder PhD. It is not getting me within 500 ft of the cache locations. Something must be wrong.

A link to where these packages are being offered, . . . if you please?

If the Navionics package is more $, then I would suspect that the SD card comes in

addition to Topo 8. I'm not aware that a PN device can be purchased new w/out the

Topo software. Perhaps directly from DeLorme, but in the wild, through retail channels

I think that Topo is included.

Norm

I did a quick google and it appears there is a bundle offered on other sites now which include a Navionics HotMaps Ecplorer DVD. It appears to come with discs to load maps onto the PN, but it isn't clear it comes with the Topo as part of the bundle. It isn't clear you can load those maps from the Navionics CD/DVD software to the PN, but you can view the PN's position on the PC with the software.

To answer the question; for your caching needs go with the Topo bundle. The Navionics is an inland and coastal waters charts which unless you're boating to caches won't be all that necessary.

You can buy the Navionics chip later when you decide that mapset will be important to you.

I did a quick google and it appears there is a bundle offered on other sites now which include a Navionics HotMaps Ecplorer DVD. It appears to come with discs to load maps onto the PN, but it isn't clear it comes with the Topo as part of the bundle. It isn't clear you can load those maps from the Navionics CD/DVD software to the PN, but you can view the PN's position on the PC with the software.

To answer the question; for your caching needs go with the Topo bundle. The Navionics is an inland and coastal waters charts which unless you're boating to caches won't be all that necessary.

You can buy the Navionics chip later when you decide that mapset will be important to you.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered my PN-40 through Amazon with the TOPO package for 239.99. Best price by far!!!!

At least one of the sites I checked implies (but does not state) that T8 is included. Says it includes "full US street, road and terrain detail" -- which I assume means T8.

http://www.amazon.com/PN-30-GPS-Navionics-...361&sr=8-12

But better to call the vendor to check to be sure.

BTW, Amazon is currently quoting $199.99 for a PN-40. Of course, it IS Amazon, so YMMV. We don't all see the same prices...

I ordered from j&r on sat for 239.99. Saw this am for 199.99 at amazon (direct). Called jr and they met the price. Needless to say I saw very happy. They also did the same for 2 buddies of mine who also ordered from them on sat.

At least one of the sites I checked implies (but does not state) that T8 is included. Says it includes "full US street, road and terrain detail" -- which I assume means T8.

http://www.amazon.com/PN-30-GPS- Navionics-...361&sr=8-12://http://www.amazon.com/PN-30-GPS- ...361&sr=8-12

But better to call the vendor to check to be sure.

BTW, Amazon is currently quoting $199.99 for a PN-40. Of course, it IS Amazon, so YMMV. We don't all see the same prices...