Another Mystery Control point

Amygdaloid

I found the control point in the photo along the shore of Lake Superior in Keweenaw County, Mi. It is a Steel Bolt that has been cemented into a depression in the bedrock, about 10-15 feet from the lake. The letters USE 18 1905 and a triangle with a point in the middle are drawn into the cement around the bolt. Any idea what agency went by the initials "U S E" in 1905? I had been to this spot many times before finding it, as the cement blends in with the surrounding rock. If there are more in the area I haven't found them yet. The US Lake Survey was active in this area, but the marks they placed in this area where done in the 1860-70s and where either triangular copper bolts set in stone or traditional looking disks marked USLS.

USE 18 1905

I found the control point in the photo along the shore of Lake Superior in Keweenaw County, Mi. It is a Steel Bolt that has been cemented into a depression in the bedrock, about 10-15 feet from the lake. The letters USE 18 1905 and a triangle with a point in the middle are drawn into the cement around the bolt. Any idea what agency went by the initials "U S E" in 1905? I had been to this spot many times before finding it, as the cement blends in with the surrounding rock. If there are more in the area I haven't found them yet. The US Lake Survey was active in this area, but the marks they placed in this area where done in the 1860-70s and where either triangular copper bolts set in stone or traditional looking disks marked USLS.

USE 18 1905

U.S.E. stands for United States Engineers, a forerunner to the Army Corp of Engineers. They put in many control points on coastal areas and other waterways. They have put out many disks over the years and the one you found would be just prior to the adoption of disks.

Search the NGS database for stations in that vicinity and you might find it, although don't be surprised if you don't. I'm sure the number "18" is part of the stations designation.

I would have guessed that the drill hole in the triangle is the station mark, but that bolt confuses things. The bolt may have been added later.

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC
The letters USE 18 1905 and a triangle with a point in the middle are drawn into the cement around the bolt. Any idea what agency went by the initials "U S E" in 1905? [unneeded text deleted]

U.S.E. stands for United States Engineers, a forerunner to the Army Corp of Engineers.

That's what I thought, too, but the USACE's history pages say, "The Army established the Corps of Engineers as a separate, permanent branch on March 16, 1802." So they were already known as the Corps of Engineers a century before "amy"'s find was monumented. I don't see any mention of a name change between 1802 and now; was there?

Patty

The letters USE 18 1905 and a triangle with a point in the middle are drawn into the cement around the bolt. Any idea what agency went by the initials "U S E" in 1905? [unneeded text deleted]

U.S.E. stands for United States Engineers, a forerunner to the Army Corp of Engineers.

That's what I thought, too, but the USACE's history pages say, "The Army established the Corps of Engineers as a separate, permanent branch on March 16, 1802." So they were already known as the Corps of Engineers a century before "amy"'s find was monumented. I don't see any mention of a name change between 1802 and now; was there?

Patty

Well USE certainly stands for that since many disks spell out United States Engineers. You may have found a few. Here's one:

KU0983

0a0e3281-bc22-4eca-aa3d-093f485005e2.jpg

Notice the inscription around the top "United States Engineer Dept", then in the middle it says "Do not / move this mark / before notice to / US Engineer Office / Room___ / Army Bldg / New York". These disk are similar every where they were set with a different location to contact depending on the locale.

The history is long and complicated and there was a thread here on it upon a time. They seemed to have tossed names back and forth. At one point they were part of the army, at another time they were separate. Suggest you search for that thread.

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

[extraneous quotage deleted]

That's what I thought, too, but the USACE's history pages say, "The Army established the Corps of Engineers as a separate, permanent branch on March 16, 1802."

Well USE certainly stands for that since many disks spell out United States Engineers.

Yes, I know. I wasn't questioning that. That abbreviation was clearly spelled out in the first reference I gave to "amy."

They seemed to have tossed names back and forth. At one point they were part of the army, at another time they were separate.

Okay. Strange that their history page doesn't mention that. Maybe they thought it would be confusing.

Patty

Here is the thread: USACE vs USE

Some folks dug up various historical facts that bear on the issue. It's worth a read.

It may be that the "official history" on the USACE's web site (being what we would called an "in house" history) was simplifying the history to give themselves priority. Remember, when the country was set up until the 20th century, there was just the "War Dept", whereas now each branch has cabinet rank. Always have been petty rivalries.

Its possible that when the disks were cast a conscious decision was made to omit CORPS from the logo to save space. But most all doc's usually just refer to US Engineers.

Exactly where is that location?

Here is a old list of all stations used in that area

th_IMG.jpg

th_IMG_0001.jpg

th_IMG_0002.jpg

Edited by Z15

In 1937 the USE/COE set "MAP CONTROL POINT"s around what would become Fort Peck

Reservoir on the Missouri River in northeastern Montana. The factory stamping reads: "CORPS OF ENGINEERS U.S. ARMY". kayakbird

edit the above to "MAP CONTROL STATION"s; and add a note that a number of Reference Marks that were set in 1948 at these marks have what appears to be a field stamped "USED" on the disk with the "D" obliterated. MEL