Crossed out Cache Names

NineMileNuts

the name of a cache that has been crossed like this means that it has been temporarily disabled by the owner

it could be that it has had a few DNF and they have disabled it until they can check.

or they may be changing it for some reason, moving the cache or changing clues etc.

i have recently disabled one due to livestock.

If it is red and crossed out - that means it is archived - you can still view those if you once logged a find.

I think I just learned something here than. Let me see if I have this correct.

If it's Archived, it truly is 100% Unavailable to anyone who hasn't found it in the past? And the only reason I can still see it is cause I found it before it became archived?

I ask this because I recently restored a cache thinking that folks could still see both listings. But considering this topic, (and if I get confirmation on that theory) I guess that would be redundant, now wouldn't it?

If it is red and crossed out - that means it is archived - you can still view those if you once logged a find.

Does this mean that once archived it is no longer there to find?

We're both gonna find out, huh? That's basically what I asked.

Mine is there, but I re submitted the coords as a new cache after the original CO had let it go into archive status.

Edited by Cowboy Camper

We're both gonna find out, huh? That's basically what I asked.

Mine is there, but I re submitted the coords as a new cache after the original CO had let it go into archive status.

Thanks for the answers folks.

A cache may be archived by its owner for any number of reasons. After they've archived their cache, the conscientious cache owner will go to the location as soon as possible and remove the archived cache container so that there's no geo-litter remaining. (However, if it was muggled there may not be a container there anyway.)

A cache may be archived by a reviewer for any number of reasons. If it happens due to a sequence of Needs Maintenance logs over weeks/months and no response from the owner then it's quite possible that the cache container may still be in place but probably in a sad and sorry state. If a cacher finds these cache remains, decides to sign whatever log remains (or adds their own signed slip of paper) and they know which cache it was (i.e. they have its GC number) then they will still be able to log a Found It log for the archived cache.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

I think I just learned something here than. Let me see if I have this correct.

If it's Archived, it truly is 100% Unavailable to anyone who hasn't found it in the past?

To clarify, I meant available/unavailable on the site. I got a PM with some more info on that matter.

An archived cache will not appear in searches or on the maps as a huntable cache. If you found it in the past, it might be a smiley on the maps, even after having been archived. (I say might, cause I don't see my past founds on the maps, caches that I know have been archived by the owner after I found them.) I thought this was interesting to learn so I figured I would share that here as well.

Also, you can find an archived cache listing by looking at the profiles of those who have found it in the past and made a log entry. So, if you have a local Friend in your profile/Friends List who has been caching a while longer than you have (as in my case) you might find a cache to hunt in his list of Found Caches. If the physical cache is still there and you can actually sign the log book, you can also log the cache as a Found at the site.

The same can be said if you have placed a cache on your Watch List. If a cache on your list gets archived, you may still go after it. The fellow who PM'ed me talked about a PQ that he made out and found the caches some 2 years later. This is particularly interesting to me, as I have a few that are now archived on my list that I haven't found yet. Some may still be there to find, but I know for a fact that some others have been removed by the owners. Still, something to look into for me. Some may still be there physically, you never know until you look.

Happy Caching folks!

A cache may be archived by its owner for any number of reasons. After they've archived their cache, the conscientious cache owner will go to the location as soon as possible and remove the archived cache container so that there's no geo-litter remaining. (However, if it was muggled there may not be a container there anyway.)

A cache may be archived by a reviewer for any number of reasons. If it happens due to a sequence of Needs Maintenance logs over weeks/months and no response from the owner then it's quite possible that the cache container may still be in place but probably in a sad and sorry state. If a cacher finds these cache remains, decides to sign whatever log remains (or adds their own signed slip of paper) and they know which cache it was (i.e. they have its GC number) then they will still be able to log a Found It log for the archived cache.

MrsB

This I learned by doing. I went to check in on a cache that I found after it was pretty much on the brink of archive. I found the container to be a little rough, but not in totally bad condition. I posted a note to the reviewer that the cache is still there and in fairly good shape, but the owner wasn't anywhere to be found. So the reviewer Archived it.

As a conscientious cache Hunter, I took the opportunity to take it over and do the small amount of work needed to restore the container and re list it as a 'new' cache, ready to be found again. While I regret that the original idea was not mine, I am proud to own it now and keep it going as an active cache for others to find. I remember how much fun my daughter and I had when we first found it and I wanted to keep that cache alive.