Who can make a new cache?

Kynde22

Anyone can hide a cache. Just be sure to read and understand the guidelines.

That said, it is my opinion that you should wait a bit. Look at it like this, is tow caches found enough to know if this hobby is for you? Would it hurt to gain a bit of experience first? On the other side some feel that finding more will just stifle your creativity. I say if you are creative it will show no matter how many caches you find.

And make sure you read the guidelines. And after you've skimmed them like many people do, read them again slowly. The 10 minutes it takes can save you hours of time later on.

Sooo true

Placing a cache is a commitment, unlike finding a cache.

When you place a cache you have commited to the long term maintenance of said cache.

I've seen new members place caches, and then lose interest in the game and their cache goes missing for a year with no one to check on it. Cachers continue to search for these caches when they are no longer there.

This is just one of the reasons I also am all for people playing the game for a while before hiding any caches.

Just one more of many reasons is new cachers are not yet aware of many of the details of the game that make a good cache placement.

Cacher end up living with the spur of the moment decisions made by new cachers, for years.

I could list all the crazy things Ive seen new cachers do, but will just limit this to say Groundspeak's motto is "The language of Location". The more I cache the more I understand that.

There have been good suggestions here. I would like to add this. Choose your containers carefully. There are two new cachers in my general area that are very enthusiastic about this hobby. In their enthusiasm they have made numerous hides and for that I am thankful. But they have only experienced caching in the summer and early fall. Most of their containers are Gladware containers. They work well enough in the summer, but the Michigan winter will be hard on them. I expect that they will be getting a lot of Needs Maintenance logs once the snow flies.

There is a lot of information about containers in the threads of the Groundspeak forums. My favorites are Lock n Locks and ammo cans. There is an ammo can near Grand Rapids that has been floating in a puddle for months and the contents are still dry.