Telecaching

e1eventh

Perhaps you ought to re-read post # 10 and search for the word: "likes".

Believe it or not, it's not about you.

Awesome. Since you didn't quote post #10, and since your post was directly after mine, it seemed you were replying to me.

I am happy that you weren't. Thanks for the clarification.

Perhaps TC thinks we all have some form of telekinetic powers that allow us to read his mind and see that he was responding to post #10? If so, would such powers come in handy in the game of telecaching? Who knows...

(I honestly doubt TC was responding to post #10. :D He knows how to use quotes, I've seen it. You are very kind in thinking the best.)

My brother called last night me to have me look up a little info he was missing in a rush for FTF, and afterward I decided to give this a try, directing him to a few Caches and reading info to him that he would have gotten from the Cache page. I ended up directing him to 4 Caches while he never had the coordinates. It was pretty easy, since I chose ones that would be in obvious areas(like a certain planter, or had the shadow of a lamppost pointing to them).

It was an interesting experiment, and definatly could be a fun new way to approach the game in some areas. Thanks for putting the idea into my head.

What you need for true telecaching is a video link to the remote finder.

Haha, just thought of that before I read it...with Bluetooth, 3G, and all the other fancy tools coming, it could be done. Rig up a Headlamp Style Webcam Thingy using the Cell Phone to send a live feed to the Base's Copmuter or Cell Phone. Then the Base gets even more of the experience. Obviously this will never be a replacement for actually getting out there, but it's an interesting twist to goof off with, or could be a bit of fun for someone who is Homebound, or Hospitalbound

Why, exactly? I don't really see the problem.

You haven't been around the forums much, I see :) Threads about playing the game an "alternate way" usually generates a lot of controversy.

The controversy, of course, comes from how the find is logged, not that you're not using a GPSr. If only the person signing the find logs the cache online (or of it is a "team" account), no big deal. If he signs it for the person on the computer as well, please don't ask for acceptance here. Some wouldn't care, others would.

Personally I find this more trouble than it is worth, but then again most of the time I cache alone and don't even use Phone A Friend.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. FYI it's a team account we're using here.

Not that I expect anyone to care, but the only reason we even log things online is so we don't got back and accidentally refind a cache. A quick look at our stats will show that we're not exactly competitive cachers. Probably done 3 in a day at most, no FTF's, etc. Anyhow, just thought I'd share my twist, don't even particularly use it that much myself. But if no one else likes it, that's cool. I'll just go back to enjoying the game, thanks = ).

I think it is fine to ask for acceptance here. You won't get everyone to agree, but I don't remember many, if any times that everyone agrees. ;) A recent topic on optional hidden find counts showed that you don't have to participate in the count competition, so what difference would it make if both get to log online? If five people cache as a group, can all five log a find, or does only the one that "finds" the cache get to log? This is a game, not a find count contest. As long as the cache was found and the log was signed, log all you want. Maybe someone can quote the guidelines. Does it say that all online loggers must be present when the cache is found. Must be within sight of the cache? Must be within 10 feet when the cache is found? I think it is a great idea because you both are having fun. It does no harm to the game and really shouldn't bother anyone. I think I will give it a try some day.

So,...no other guitar players here to groan at my terrible pun? :unsure:

Ha ha, GROOOOOOOAN!

I play a 50th anniversary Tele and I only call it a telecacher when I have had 1 or 2 too many wobblies.

Back on topic ... I think the OP's idea is cool and logging under a team account seems to fit the requirements. Doesn't really do it for me, but I can see where a house-bound person can be the "eyes" of the team and the cacher the "legs", and the housebound isn't just sitting around wasting away and getting bitter because they can't contribute to a very cool pastime.

Cache on!