60CSx lat/long conversion?

razcob1

I would like to convert lat/long coordinates on 60CSx to decimal or deg/min/secs. I don't understand the coordinates that it provides. It looks like a combination of deg/min/sec and decimal. The North coordinate is N 37deg, 30.574 min, no sec?. Most online sources easily show how to convert, but the calculators appear to be in a different format? Can I change coordinate setting on GPS?

In the 60CSx settings under Units, you can select how you want your coordinates to be displayed. If you want to align them with this site, you probably want it set to hddd°mm.mmm' (or whatever it says) so your coordinates look something like 87° 42.786'.

If you want to convert coordinates with the 60CSx, the easiest way is to change the units to the format of the coordinates you have, create a new waypoint and enter the coordinates in, then go back to the units setting and change it to the format you need. When you go back to look at the waypoint you just created, the coordinates will be displayed with the new units.

Coordinates are VERY easy to convert by hand. 1 degree=60 minutes. 1 minute=60 seconds. If you want DD MM SS Degrees Minutes Seconds) and you have DD MM.mmm (Decimal Minutes) just take the mmm part and multiply it by 60. The other way, divide the SS by 60 then put it where the mmm goes after the decimal.

There is also Decimal Degrees (DD.ddddd). Again, divide the MM.mmm by 60 and put the result in the place of the ddddd after the decimal.

Clear as mud? If you work with it a few times, it will become very easy.