New geocaches text to my phone

munizwallscrew

Hello all you fellow geocachers! The cachers in my area have 1 up on me. They get text notification to their phone of new caches, but most say someone set it up for them. I want to set it up on my phone, so I can be in the FTF race, lol! Can someone please explain it or give me a website to go to, something. I would be very appreciative-- and hopefully stacking up on some FTF! Thanks, in advance to all who try to help me. B)

Hello all you fellow geocachers! The cachers in my area have 1 up on me. They get text notification to their phone of new caches, but most say someone set it up for them. I want to set it up on my phone, so I can be in the FTF race, lol! Can someone please explain it or give me a website to go to, something. I would be very appreciative-- and hopefully stacking up on some FTF! Thanks, in advance to all who try to help me. B)

First we must establish if you want actual emails sent to a internet enabled cell phone, or if you are looking for SMS text messages. The emails to your phone has been around much longer, and is actually much easier to set up. Text messages are a new feature, but you can still get 'er done.

First we must establish if you want actual emails sent to a internet enabled cell phone, or if you are looking for SMS text messages. The emails to your phone has been around much longer, and is actually much easier to set up. Text messages are a new feature, but you can still get 'er done.

I am easy, which ever will be quicker-- as long as it gets me in the game. I have a pretty simple phone, no expensive iPhone or anything, and I want to make sure it send me the coords too, so if i am out and about I can just enter them in and go. Thanks for a quick reply. I am trying to get this done because I got word there were gonna be new ones out tonight-- so the race is on.

I am easy, which ever will be quicker-- as long as it gets me in the game. I have a pretty simple phone, no expensive iPhone or anything, and I want to make sure it send me the coords too, so if i am out and about I can just enter them in and go. Thanks for a quick reply. I am trying to get this done because I got word there were gonna be new ones out tonight-- so the race is on.

Unfortunately, I have to take my kid to cub scouts in about 15 minutes, so someone will need to pick up the ball here. :)

With either method (text or email), you don't get the coordinates in a cache alert. With the email method, you have to go on the internet to the cache page to get the coordinates (either on your phone, or your computer if you have one in front of you). And with the text messages, you have to send a text message requesting the coordinates, knowing the Waypoint name of the newly published cache.

Sounds like a pain, but really, it's no different if you got the cache alerts at home on email, and had to go to the website to see the coordinate.

Instant notification help page (email)

Textmarks text alerts help page

Go to the Notifications page to set up your notifications for Publish and Retract.

http://www.geocaching.com/notify/

In the spot for the email address, put your address for the SMS gateway for your phone based on your phone carrier.

http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-...s/gateway-list/

Note that the notifications are emails not text messages, so if you only get text messages on your phone, you might not get the whole message. MMS (picture messages) or email messages are other options.

Note also that the email notifications do not include the coordinates, so you will have to visit the cache page to obtain those.

also some phone carriers (like boostmobile and others) in the USA have and email address that send to the phone as a text message (non SMS) for boost i know it is -phone number-@myboostmobile.com and i know it also works the same for virgin mobile though i forget the part after the @ usually you can send a text message (non-sms) to your email address and it will give you your phones email in the sender part.. this works well for me as sending SMS from my cellphone costs $0.30 even if on the unlimited plan where on the other hand even on the pay-as-you-go plan a text message only costs $0.10 in and out for me..

still have to request coords for cache or look them up but its a step forward for you

also some phone carriers (like boostmobile and others) in the USA have and email address that send to the phone as a text message (non SMS) for boost i know it is -phone number-@myboostmobile.com and i know it also works the same for virgin mobile though i forget the part after the @ usually you can send a text message (non-sms) to your email address and it will give you your phones email in the sender part.. this works well for me as sending SMS from my cellphone costs $0.30 even if on the unlimited plan where on the other hand even on the pay-as-you-go plan a text message only costs $0.10 in and out for me..

still have to request coords for cache or look them up but its a step forward for you

Yes most Cell service providers will, you just have to find out what Prefix they use after the phone number.

XXX-XXXX@ prefix

ScubaSonic

actually for boost and v-mobile it looks like

XXXXXXXXXX@prefix

area code then number no -'s

also if i remember right cingular and us cellular is of the same format as well and like i posted above just send a regular test text to your normal e-mail and it will give you the prefix

Edited by KeeperOfTheMist

In the spot for the email address, put your address for the SMS gateway for your phone based on your phone carrier.

http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-...s/gateway-list/

N that the email notifications do not include the coordinates, so you will have to visit the cache page to obtain those.

Note that for the UK providers, this list is very out of date - for example the virgin service doesn't exist, despite being listed here (and duplicated on other sites elsewhere).

Matt