Compass, Declination and the GPS

Gadget54

Do I have to adjust for declintation if I'm using the compass on my Summit HC?

I am also in the market for a compass I can use to convert my gps co-ordinates to topo maps. I hear good things about the Brunton 15TDCL. Any opinions (or is that a loaded question).

Gadget54

No, your GPS knows both True North and Magnetic North, from any location. You just need to determine which you need to use in a particular situation.

I am also in the market for a compass I can use to convert my gps co-ordinates to topo maps. I hear good things about the Brunton 15TDCL. Any opinions (or is that a loaded question).

Gadget54

(Highlighted) If you are using it for straight up geocaching, probably not as the cache was probably placed using a like GPSr (without declination favor).

If you are using it otherwise (that is not referring to another GPSr generated function), probably.

(Unhighlighted) Can't help you, there ('cept that any opinion is loaded). :rolleyes:

Gadget54

You didn't specify if this is a general knowledge or Geocaching question, but neither TRUE or MAGNETIC mode has any effect on finding Geocaches by way of known coordinates. The arrow will point to the coordinate waypoint. The perceived cardinal directions will be slightly different between the two modes, but that is totally irrelevant to a cache search.

I only carry an inexpensive compass in case the GPS dies, but I know a cacher who has over 2000 finds without a GPS. He uses maps, aerial photos, and a compass. Soon after I got to know him I asked about his compass. I was shocked. I was expecting bells, whistles, and gold plating. Instead it looks like an old, small, totally beat up piece of junk. I learned that impressive compass (and map reading) skills are far more important than an impressive compass.

Gadget54

There is no need for factoring-in declination when straight-up geocaching using your GPS. Declination will only effect your bearing when moving from point to point and the conversion from the magnetic to whatever your locations true bearing on your topo map is while using a compass and not your GPS. If you are plotting caches on a topo map and forgoing your GPS in favor of navigating solely via a compass and map, then yes it would come into play. But, the actual plotting doesn't require declination conversion either, just converting the format from what you have your GPS set to into the standard military grid reference if you are using a protractor to plot the caches onto a map. From your starting point to the cache location you would have to worry now about the declination, so as not to end up off course from your destination.

And as Cardinal Red stated, it is not the quality of the equipment, but the knowledge of said equipment's use that is the major factor in deciding what compass to get. I carry my old military issued lensatic compass and I have seen people use the cheaper ones from the local outdoor store just as effectively. Good points for a compass purchase; within your budget, sturdy, some form of damping {liquid filled for instance}, and the ability to use it properly.

Thank you for the replies. I played with my GPS a bit last night and found the setting where I can set it to True North or Magnetic.

I take the kids Geocaching but I mostly use it to traverse the woods without getting lost. Marking important places like truck, camp... I want to get more capable with a compass. The most I knew was if I went east into the woods I had to go west to get out.

I got the Outward bound book from the library and have learned much about the compass and now understand things like triangulation and can now plot my waypoints on my topo of the same area.

Thankyou again for the help.

Gadget54

Google "thecompassstore" A very interesting site with good info. They are also fair to deal with. :rolleyes:

Gadget54

Google "thecompassstore" A very interesting site with good info. They are also fair to deal with. B)

Gadget54

ditto. i bought my SUUNTO M-3 GLOBAL PRO compass from that website. very happy. i'm still not as expert with the compass as i want to be though.