Who gives permission?

Simon Mates

None of the other topics seem to address the question. Before I place a cache, I'd like to have permission from a person in a position to give it. I'm speaking of public lands, such as parks, undeveloped areas, rural areas not in agriculture, cemeteries, etc. I'm still very much a newbie and would appreciate some experienced guidance.

It really depends on where you live. In the town I live in the City Parks Department knows the caches are there and does not care, we don't need special permission. In Nashville and Murfreesboro, TN both Parks systems they have a permitting system. Individual State Parks are left up to the Park Manager. The only way I learned this info was to get involved with the local geocaching club. Since they were the ones who worked out these permissions they are a source of great knowledge and experience. You can also contact your local reviewer for some of this info. Go to the first log on any of the local hides and look at who published them and email him\her through their profile.

If, like in my town, there is no policy by the park system you can do what I did. Last spring I approached the Director and sat down with the person he designated and explained our hobby. I offered my help if they wanted to examine it closer and offered to help with any programs they might want to do through the Parks Department. So far no change, but I know they know about caching and as of now have no issues. They have my contact if there is an issue.

... Private property it would the property owner (i.e. not a tenant).

I wonder about this since I'm about to place my first cache. I live in UK, and the cache is on waste ground behind a business. The landlord is the local council AFAICT. However, AIUI it is the (long-established) tenant who decides what can and can't be done with the property provided that no permanent alterations are made or planning consent required. It makes sense to me that the tenant be the one to give permission because if only the landlord's consent were required it would constitute an unenforceable change of contract (i.e. unilateral change of conditions).

Have I really got this wrong?

Geoff

... Private property it would the property owner (i.e. not a tenant).

I wonder about this since I'm about to place my first cache. I live in UK, and the cache is on waste ground behind a business. The landlord is the local council AFAICT. However, AIUI it is the (long-established) tenant who decides what can and can't be done with the property provided that no permanent alterations are made or planning consent required. It makes sense to me that the tenant be the one to give permission because if only the landlord's consent were required it would constitute an unenforceable change of contract (i.e. unilateral change of conditions).

Have I really got this wrong?

Geoff

No - that's (AFAIK) the case in the UK. However, I believe things might be a little different in the US.

All land in the UK belongs to somebody so there is no situation here where there won't ultimately be somebody to get permission from.

ljsimon,

Every one of out state parks, state forests camping and state forest pathways have contact numbers.

Just go to the DNR website, find the location and give them a call.

I would also recommend joining MiGO. Lots of specific "Land Use Guidelines" there and members get to place caches in the the rec areas for free, you still have to fill out the individual usage permit but that's so the parks can keep track.

MiGO also maintains a relationship with Huron-Manistee National Forest officials. That's another National Forest for the list of allowed.