Oregon - how do I delete routes ?

ceeG

I've got ~30 saved routes (routes, not tracks) in my OR300 from my last long trip away following a car rally, now I've got another one coming up and I needed to clear those routes out to load in some new ones.

I ended up deleting them one at a time because I couldn't find any way to delete all the routes - I can get rid of all the waypoints, the caches, the tracks, the custom POIs, etc, but I'm blowed if I can see a way to get rid of all the saved routes.

I even tried a master reset which cleared out all my user data and (finally) reset the odometer, but it didn't touch the saved routes.

Is it really a case of having to delete them one by one ? If so, I'm seriously glad I didn't splash out for a 550 which will store 200 routes !

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary, I have a 550t and am having trouble trying to delete all my loaded waypoints (caches). The manual says to click on "Setup" > reset > delete all waypoints > yes. I have done this several times and when I click on "Geocaches" again, I get the full list still in the unit.....dozens of caches that I don't need.

It seems to be a similar problem to yours - I haven't entered any routes yet and maybe I'll avoid them until this is sorted out.

Cheers,

Fred. (Ah yes!)

Edited by Ah yes!

Caches are handled by the OR the same way as POI's - totally different to waypoints. Fire up the Oregon in mass storage mode and look in the \garmin\gpx folder, you'll find the caches stored in gpx files there. Delete the gpx files in that folder and restart, no more caches ...

If only routes were that simple - but even if you load them from gpx files they get copied to the internal database and need to be deleted from there as well as killing the gpx files :-(

Gary

Edited by ceeG

Unfortunately not :-(

Having swapped emails with Garmin support, it's sadly become clear that the only way to get the routes out of the internal database on an x00 series Oregon is to delete them one by one from the route planner menu, or to nuke the entire internal database by doing a full system reset.

The camera could be handy, the 3 axis compass could be handy, the extra capacity for routes and waypoints and caches could be handy, and being able to delete routes easily would be handy, but the price tag of a 550 needs more than "could be handy" to get me thinking seriously about upgrading from the 300.

Gary

Gary

You what ????? I don't use routes all the time but I change waypoints every few days, and for the rallies I end up with a honking great gdb file that has about 200 waypoints and 30-40 routes - if I was putting that on a 550 would I need to use a seperate gpx file for every route plus one for the waypoints ?

That would suck !!!

Gary

No, putting them ONTO the 550 is easy. Getting manually created ones off of the 550 is the difficult part as it makes individual GPX files. Basecamp is able to do it, but Mapsource is not. A bit of a clunky mess at this time.

Talking with Garmin, I get the feeling that they are planning to make Basecamp better, but not Mapsource.

Phew !!!

To get a manually created route off of a 550 couldn't you just open a new mapsource window then drag the gpx file for the new route from the \garmin\gpx folder into the mapsource window ?

Gary

Yes, but you need to then do this with every route and waypoint........ Clunky.

If you mount the drive in Basecamp, it will import everything automatically. They have decided not to implement the same feature in Mapsource.

Caches are handled by the OR the same way as POI's - totally different to waypoints. Fire up the Oregon in mass storage mode and look in the \garmin\gpx folder, you'll find the caches stored in gpx files there. Delete the gpx files in that folder and restart, no more caches ...

If only routes were that simple - but even if you load them from gpx files they get copied to the internal database and need to be deleted from there as well as killing the gpx files :-(

Gary

Thanks for this tip ceeG - worked a dream - my Geocaches window is now blank and I can start again.