first time and 0/4 Newbie needs tips and advice

poconoadoptionfamily

We went on our 1st geocaching expedition today and came away empty handed much to the disapointment of our 6yo son. Used our car GPS ( a Tom Tom) and since we stuck to our hometown and 1/1 's we figured it would be easier then it was. We want to go out tomorrow and search again. Does anyone have specific advice for these specific caches or just geocaching in general. We plugged the coordinates into the GPS but did not look at way points ( Are they the same thing?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks, Pocono Adoption Family ( Newbie Geocachers)

zip code 18428

Geocaches

Caboose

School house rocks

School house rocks 2 rocks

In Vino Veritas

We went on our 1st geocaching expedition today and came away empty handed much to the disapointment of our 6yo son. Used our car GPS ( a Tom Tom) and since we stuck to our hometown and 1/1 's we figured it would be easier then it was. We want to go out tomorrow and search again. Does anyone have specific advice for these specific caches or just geocaching in general. We plugged the coordinates into the GPS but did not look at way points ( Are they the same thing?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks, Pocono Adoption Family ( Newbie Geocachers)

zip code 18428

Geocaches

Caboose

School house rocks

School house rocks 2 rocks

In Vino Veritas

Dont expect it to lead you right exactly to the cache, get close as you can then look around and try to decide where someone would hide it. Most of the time the name of the cache will give you some sort of hint.

Hi poconoadoptionfamily

I found Schoolhouse Rocks (GCMX8T) over three years ago while visiting my brothers cabin on White Deer Lake. The cache sounds like it's in bad shape right now. It sounds like the cache might have moved a little. But, certainly you must have been at the correct School, right? You should have been able to park on the downhill edge of the parking lot fairly close to the cache. In a rocky area along the tree line 75 feet +/- from the car? Sound familiar? And remember my recollection is over three years old.

If you can solve the simple puzzle for Hidden Hydro (GC119RR) I think you should try it instead. Google is your friend. It's an easy to find Regular size cache at the PPL facility.

I have no knowledge of Tom Tom equipment or how you get the coordinates entered/loaded on to it. Can you verify that you are using the DDMM.mmm Format and the WGS84 Datum?

If I needed help from a local, I would ask The Pirates of Wallenpaupack. Contact them and see if they remember my caching name (even though we've never actually met). They probably don't use Tom Tom either, but could surely help identify any problems.

I hope someone comes along here with specific Tom Tom help, or you could buy a Garmin instead. Good luck.

edit: of course as soon as I post I saw the speelliinngg error. duh

Edited by Cardinal Red

Well I did some quick looking at the ones you listed.... 3 of the 4 are micros' - not exactly the easiest way to start your caching experience. The 2 schoolhouse ones, after reading through the logs some, seem to be no good either as they have been muggled and destroyed several times - there's a good chance that they're not even there or have been moved from their original coordinates.

You did good looking for ones of low difficulty, but I'd suggest looking for some that are at least small or even better regular size containers, and it's also a good idea to read back through the logs some before going out - it can save you a lot of headache if the guy before you found a problem and reported it, and the cache owner hasn't been able to fix it yet... We've all been there, most of us more than once :(

Don't give up

I'd add, since you're new to the game, look up some pictures of cache containers so you have an idea what you're looking for. Checkout Ebay or one of the many geocaching online shops.

I remember one of the first micro's I found I actually put my hand on it whilst I was searching but dismissed it as I thought it was part of the furniture!

We are pretty new to caching too - we've only been doing it a couple of months now. The first ones were harder because we really weren't sure what we were looking for. So you are on the right track with looking for some easier ones. I would take a look at GC1NCET. That one seems more out in the open without a lot of tree cover. Your GPS may work better there. Or try GC1Q77Z. This one is in a cemetary and I have good luck with those.

I would also look at the satellite views before you go out. They give you an excellent idea of where to focus your search. Also read back thru the older logs, go back 25 logs or more and see what other people said about the find. They can be very helpful.

The different containers can be VERY creative, so do what was suggested above and research the different types and sizes so you know what to look for.

Most of all, keep trying. The more you do, the better you will get at it. It is so much fun.

:( Thanks everyone. Went out today and found 2 out of 3. Looked back at logs and made sure we were looking for larger containers. Found Hidden Hydro and East D. C. Took another run at Hawley Caboose and still could not find it even with the clues. Also went online to look at containers. Had no idea ..... we'll be back out next weekend for a few other caches if the weather is good.

Thanks Again for all of the advice.

PoconoAdoptionFamily