adirondack peaks

NnJRadabaugh

New you geocaching and noticed on a recent short trip to the adirondack area's that there are no caches on the major peaks. Did one on a smaller mountain, but noticed while searching online that i couldnt find any on the major peaks. Anyone know if there is a specific reason for that or is it just that nobody put any up there?

New you geocaching and noticed on a recent short trip to the adirondack area's that there are no caches on the major peaks. Did one on a smaller mountain, but noticed while searching online that i couldnt find any on the major peaks. Anyone know if there is a specific reason for that or is it just that nobody put any up there?

You aren't allowed to place any caches in the Eastern or Western High Peaks. The following is from New York Admin's profile page:

"We have been asked by New York State DEC to NOT place caches on mountain tops or right at the overlooks. Please keep caches below the tree line.All caches MUST be marked GEOCACHE.

No caches may be place in the Western High Peaks region (zone B ) or the Eastern High Peaks region (zone C).Both high peaks regions may be identified on a DEC map here."

Edited by apulverizer

You aren't allowed to place any caches in the Eastern or Western High Peaks. The following is from New York Admin's profile page:

"We have been asked by New York State DEC to NOT place caches on mountain tops or right at the overlooks. Please keep caches below the tree line.All caches MUST be marked GEOCACHE.

No caches may be place in the Western High Peaks region (zone B ) or the Eastern High Peaks region (zone C).Both high peaks regions may be identified on a DEC map here."

Dang, guess that explains it. Is that the same deal in the catskills? Im trying to find a mountain in the area to climb with a cache at the top or one i can put one at.

To top that off, there were a few years where you couldn't hide caches on DEC lands in the Adirondacks, period. So there is almost no mountaintop caching in the Adirondack major peaks. I believe Cascade Mountain in the High Peaks region had an old 2002 placement that's been archived, I don't see it on the maps anymore. The closest you'll get I guess is Hurricane Fire Tower which is near the top of the peak. I took a quick scan at your profile and don't think you've found that. There are probably quite a few caches on minor peaks outside the high peaks region, but I imagine it's quite a chore to search for and identify them.

Dang, guess that explains it. Is that the same deal in the catskills? Im trying to find a mountain in the area to climb with a cache at the top or one i can put one at.

Probably. I'd ask NY Admin if I were you. It may be allowable if they are under 3,000 ft which is the altitude at which camping, fires, etc are banned.

Probably. I'd ask NY Admin if I were you. It may be allowable if they are under 3,000 ft which is the altitude at which camping, fires, etc are banned.

Makes sense about the 3,000 feet. I'd check to be sure. Are you wanting to put one in the Adirondacks, or Catskills though?

I've been doing some more surfing up in the Adirondacks. Scarface Mountain, a 3,088 foot peak right between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid, has a cache at the top. Here's a hiking guide. I think I flipped a coin in the early 90's and decided to do Haystack across the road. That particular Haystack (there are 3 Haystack's in the Adirondacks) is under 3,000 feet, and would be a fine location for a cache, I think. :ph34r:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel