I am not a cacher but I found someone's GPS

jtanner61

If there's a serial # on it, you can also try to contact the manufacturer to see if someone registered the unit.

Finally, you can see if there's a waypoint in there called "Home". It's a bit creepy to have someone show up at your front door with your property, but I think they'd rather have their toy back :lol:

Thanks for your effort.

When I find mobile phones, I look in the phonebook for entries like "home" or "mom", call that number and arrange to return the unit to the person who answers. If the GPSr has contact information, use it to contact the owner. If it doesn't, look for a waypoint named "home"; google the coordinates, you may find the owner's blog, or facebook profile, or some other information. Even without google results, you will be able to ask a more specific question, like "Anybody from Springfield lost a GPSr on the top of Boundary Peak?" It will have better chances to catch the attention of some friends of the owner, who will pass your contact information to the owner.

Hey Everyone, I am not a cacher but I am a highpointer. I found a GPS unit on the top of Boundary Peak in NV on Saturday September 19th. Is there anyway you can pass this along to everyone?

It's great to see you are doing the right thing by trying to find the owner.

You will definitely be making someone very happy!

Hope the GPSr and the owner are reunited soon. :lol:

Hey Everyone, I am not a cacher but I am a highpointer. I found a GPS unit on the top of Boundary Peak in NV on Saturday September 19th.

I'm sure someone's interested in getting it back, but it may not be a Geocacher. Could have been any hiker (unless it has a lotta Geocaches stored in it). Although, when I find a Geocache, I often do set GyPSy down, and tend to forget I did that, and have to make a return trip... when I eventually notice I'm missing something... and my backpack... and my car keys, phone... nothing important...

I also don't delete my old "tracks" very often. If it's the kind of GPSr that stores tracks, and there are a bunch on it, that may be the way to follow it back to their front door.

Or maybe their first finds were close to home. Does that GPSr have much data stored on the individual Geocaches?

Edited by kunarion