World based maps for DeLorme

snow_rules

I guess the question comes down to is it available in a pool for it to be pulled from the same as the US aerials are?

No, there is no open source of aerials for Canada. Aerials that do exist only cover major cities, for the most part. Google is the only easy source and they have Mr. Lipe protecting their interests.

I would say he's making users of the data make an informed decision.

The title of the thread and a lot of the posts are misleading.

Navioinics cards do not give DeLorme PN-40 additional world based maps - except for areas around coastlines. Topo maps for Canada you keep arguing about aren't even available yet and Canada is just one country, not the world.

The title of this thread should be

WORLD BASED MAPS FOR DELORME ARE NOT AVAILABLE!

The title of the thread and a lot of the posts are misleading.

Navioinics cards do not give DeLorme PN-40 additional world based maps - except for areas around coastlines. Topo maps for Canada you keep arguing about aren't even available yet and Canada is just one country, not the world.

The title of this thread should be

WORLD BASED MAPS FOR DELORME ARE NOT AVAILABLE!

Your post is completely misleading. What your post should say is WORLD BASE MAP IS INCLUDED WITH PURCHASE.

The base map is there, it is viewable, give it a try. I am right now looking at China, no problem. Do I have routable basemaps? NO, but that's not what I said either. Of course, I didn't rely on a Navionics card for this base map, so this has little to do with the OPs comments, but I do have WORLD BASE MAPS!

They're not only available, they are included with purchase of your PN!

Your post is completely misleading. What your post should say is WORLD BASE MAP IS INCLUDED WITH PURCHASE.

I agree, RR!

A total troll with no geocaches found.

Tadpole

Group: Members

New on the board telling us all which he doesn't know.

Where do these come from?

Wouldn't know a PN-40 from a '55 Ford carburetor, I expect.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Roddy, YOU ARE RIGHT! The PN DOES come a baseman that shows Chin It ISN'T routable and it IS useless.

I DARE you to prove me wrong!! Show us how good the baseman is outside of America. PUT UP screen shots of the PN baseman at zoom level 8 and 9 of Shanghai (31.25N,121.50E) from the PN . And maybe an American city like Lincoln Nebraska (41.80N, 96.70W) to compare.

The basemap outside of America stinks and you can't get anything else!. snow_rules international navionics cards are marine and coastlines only. embras canada raster topos aren't even out yet and people are already bashing them. lee_rimars worldwide digital map is so expensive deforme calls it professional and doesn't even price iton their website.

PUT UP or SHUT UP!

@ Summer Walks : May haps you're confused about the difference between World Basemaps, &

World Based Maps, either way is inconsequential to me other than you've notched out to 4

while knowingly derailing the train! BAD JU JU!

If you want to pontificate, right or wrong, at the top of your lungs, then start a topic w/the

proper title and have at it. Let this topic follow a civil course.

Thank-You

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Roddy, YOU ARE RIGHT! The PN DOES come a baseman that shows Chin It ISN'T routable and it IS useless.

I DARE you to prove me wrong!! Show us how good the baseman is outside of America. PUT UP screen shots of the PN baseman at zoom level 8 and 9 of Shanghai (31.25N,121.50E) from the PN . And maybe an American city like Lincoln Nebraska (41.80N, 96.70W) to compare.

The basemap outside of America stinks and you can't get anything else!. snow_rules international navionics cards are marine and coastlines only. embras canada raster topos aren't even out yet and people are already bashing them. lee_rimars worldwide digital map is so expensive deforme calls it professional and doesn't even price iton their website.

PUT UP or SHUT UP!

I'm going to give you ONE reply and I will be very polite about it. I would hope you could also do the same, but your last post isn't reassuring. :D

If you know what a BASE MAP is, you'd realize there just isn't much there save state/country borders, cities/towns etc. If you truly would like to compare the base maps you'd need to turn off T8 or any other maps on your PN, then you can compare Lincoln NE and Shanghai all you want! This isn't just a PN thing either...a base map is a base map. The OP mistakenly said the Navionics cards would give you enhanced base maps, this has been discussed here. You mistakenly said there were NO base maps, you then rail me for correcting you? You tell me to shut up? How about you prove ME wrong, my friend? :rolleyes:

Care to try again?? Nicer?

I know what a BASEMAP is. I even said you were right that the PN has one for the world. But every post (up until the last few) has been saying there are ways to ADD maps than that. But there isn't--no matter what snow, embra, lee, or you say. Keep saying something that isn't true: MISLEADING.

And the world map it DOES have? In the USA is ALMOST useless. China and everywhere else its a gazillion times worse. Without Topo USA details, the America map zooms to level 12. Outside of God (and DeLorme) Blessed America it only goes to 7. Your HAND is a better basemap than that, but only because you're from MICHGAN, hahaha.

Sorry you didn't think I'm nice. Kiss kiss, feel better now?

I know what a BASEMAP is. I even said you were right that the PN has one for the world. But every post (up until the last few) has been saying there are ways to ADD maps than that. But there isn't--no matter what snow, embra, lee, or you say. Keep saying something that isn't true: MISLEADING.

And the world map it DOES have? In the USA is ALMOST useless. China and everywhere else its a gazillion times worse. Without Topo USA details, the America map zooms to level 12. Outside of God (and DeLorme) Blessed America it only goes to 7. Your HAND is a better basemap than that, but only because you're from MICHGAN, hahaha.

Sorry you didn't think I'm nice. Kiss kiss, feel better now?

The OP has stated he was mistaken and YOU still come here railing...nice! You are the only one misleading here, please stop doing so.

XMAP IS available and is priced...or at least, I know the price....and if you own a PN, you should too. XMAP WILL allow you to add maps to other areas of the world...you are misleading if you say otherwise. Maps ARE available for Mexico and Canada, these are ROUTABLE....and come FREE with T8. Sorry if they don't meet your standard, they are still there. Saying otherwise is MISLEADING! There ARE ways to add maps as has been pointed out, so who is misleading here? :D

And the sarcasm...that's as bad as your rudeness in your last post. I sure thought we were trying to make these forums friendlier!

I'd stay out of this one except Summer Walks brought my name into it -- and makes it sound like I said something I didn't.

I didn't say there were international maps for the PN-40.

I was one of the folks who pointed out that Snow_Rules was mistaken (post #68), Navionics Discovery cards don't work in a PN, and that the Gold charts that do work don't have much land coverage. I did mention DeLorme's "Worldwide Digital Basemap" (post #84) but also said it's not available as a consumer-grade product. I wish it was - I still want a driving map for the UK.

About the only bits Summer got right were that most of the posts in this thread are talking about stuff that isn't really available, and that the PN-series "international" map is sparser** than its North America coverage. And that's pretty obvious--every mapping GPS comes with a base map that's more detailed in its home market.

---

** Edit to add: But not a "gazillion" times worse. The difference is 1:1.5M linear scale at zoom level 7 and 1:48K scale for level 12.

Edited by lee_rimar
Apparently the moderators don't care if you call someone a troll.
Nah, I wouldn't worry either about calling someone a troll--especially if they are one. To me, the "reportable" nature of that post was that it had nothing to do with GPS or maps; it didn't have any content except for personal insults.

And while I don't think I'm insulting anyone here, this post doesn't have anything to do with GPS or maps either. I think I'll go put myself on report :D

Edited by lee_rimar

Moderators do care and "report this post" buttons do get attention.

Personal attacks for perceived inexperience and general lashing out with abusive tones are bad, mmmmkay?

As I've already intervened in this thread twice http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4083800 and it continued to decay from there, I am closing this thread.

Will thread participants *please* act with some reasonable decorum?