Garmin eTrex Legend H handheld

bydnlsn

Hi all - new geocacher here and my first time ever posting in/on anything, so have mercy please!

My new handheld seems to not be reading "current position" correctly. Do any of you see this with yours? What is the accuracy of yours?

I bought this handheld yesterday. Followed the manual best as I could; went out into the driveway in the clear, to set my current/home waypoint; entered waypoints for my first cache search. I got to the correct park only because of the hint the hider provided; noticed when at the park that the unit thought I was still about 1/2 mile away from my destination. Didn't find the cache but that's okay ... I'm stubborn.

Went home, reset again and again current position, this time checked the gps coords against GoogleEarth.

Well - the gps coords, when plugged into GoogleEarth, placed me about 1/2 mile away (northwards)! So I did this several more times, checking different gps "current location" coords on GoogleEarth, and each time GoogleEarth placed me about 1/2 mile away (and northwards).

So I exchanged the unit for another, thinking I had a defective unit. Same story with new unit.

Is 1/2 mile away and consistently in the same drift usual for GPSs? This is the first time I've used a gps and I thought they'd provide better accuracy than that. I'm not expecting to be placed toe-to-toe with a cache, but 1/2 mile off is too much I think. Any hints as to how I'd cope with being that far off if what my unit is doing is normal?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

B

Could be your datum is set wrong on the unit.

Go to Setup Menu/Units... Make sure it is set up for hddd mm.mmm and WGS 84

(more specific details from the online manual)

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexLegendH_OwnersManual.pdf

Go to page 54

I've noticed the have changed the software of the Blue Legend to match the color Legend units. Very nice.

I owned the old Legend without the H and found many cache. It also went 2,000 miles on a bicycle and suffered many a fall. While it still works, it shorts out a lot and has been retired. It's a good unit and I was able to get 7 foot accuracy with WAAS in the open.

Edit: Noticed the software was changed in the Legend

Edited by gpsblake

The first thing that comes to mind is that when enter coordinates there are several different formats you can use. The geocaching dot com website uses one format, and your Garmin might be set up to use another. If this is the case when you enter the coordinates off the geocache dot com website, they are not being entered correctly. I think this would explain the consistent 1/2 mile inaccuracy.

Are you entering the lat/long numbers into your GPS unit by hand, or are you using the "Send to GPS" button on the website? Your Garmin will show options that look like these for entering coordinates by hand (under the Setup menu then Units, Position Format):

hddd.ddddd

hddd mm.mmm <-- use this format

hddd mm'ss.s

Set yours to use the hdd mm.mmm setting if you're going to set the coordinates by hand. This way the format your Garmin is using will match the default format that the Geocaching dot com website uses.

Have you callibrated the compass?

The eTrex Legend H does not have an electronic compass and thus there's nothing to be calibrated.

To the OP, it definitely sounds like an incorrect datum issue or an incorrect coordinate format issue.

Wow - amazing amount of information to go on - thank you all so much!

I have been entering the waypoints manually, not downloading or "sending to". I haven't had the opportunity to play with again given everyone's input, since yesterday's posting but will definately do so tonight and let you all know.

Thanks!

B

To the OP, it definitely sounds like an incorrect datum issue or an incorrect coordinate format issue.

I'd bet money on this being the issue.

Fixed and working! It did end up being a coordinate format issue. My husband and I both poured over the directions and didn't pick up on ensuring correct formatting at all. Thank you folks for ... pointing us in the right direction! (can't believe I actually thought that one up)

And, went out and made our first find this evening. This is just the coolest thing! I had no idea I'd be so excited upon sighting my first cache. Only down side is....so many caches, so little leisure time.

Oh, and one cautionary note ... don't forget to turn off your headlights when you set off on foot. But at least we had something to talk about while waiting for the AAA truck!

Thanks again all, for the great feedback.

don't forget to turn off your headlights when you set off on foot. But at least we had something to talk about while waiting for the AAA truck!

ALMOST......went GCing today. Was getting ready to get out of the truck, and my truck alarm went off when I opened the door to GET OUT! Talk about your every muggle staring at you!! :lol: