Garmin Questions

zilla

I am not new to GPS's but am a new owner of a MAP76Cx... Just wondering what the D on the sat strength bars mean? I have WAAS turned on, but how do I know if I am recieving a WAAS sat? And lastly, the compass screen on my MAP76Cx doesn't seem as responsive [in GoTo mode]

as the one on my old MAP76S.. Any reason? Thanx in advance.

The D means that the unit is applying correction from the WAAS signal.

WAAS is sent by the upper numbered sats, most likely the highest number sat displayed. for the US, they are numbered 48 & 51.

The GPSMAP 76S adds a built-in electronic compass, the GPSMAP76Cx uses the difference in location to get a bearing and needs to be moving to work right.

Hi Robert,

The 76Cx doesn't have a compass. It has a "compass" screen to assist offroad navigation but as JDiablo said, it only works if you're moving. It has no other way to know direction of travel. If you're moving slowly it's a little slow to update. Also, if you are in a situation with less than optimal satellite reception it will be sluggish.

...ken...

Quick answer:

Garmin 76S has a real magnetic compass

Garmin 76Cx does not have a real magnetic compass (you have to be in motion for the compass to point correctly)

Note:

Garmin CSx does have the magnetic compass.

Confused? So am I now!!!!

Cheers!!!

Edited by gpsblake
Quick answer:

Garmin 76Cx does not have a real magnetic compass (you have to be in motion for the compass to point correctly)

Not to confuse you further but there's a difference between an electronic compass and a magnetic compass. A GPS unit with a compass has an electronic compass; either two-axis or three-axis, but either way it's electronic, not magentic. A magnetic compass relies on magnetic north, somewhat obviously, while an electronic compass uses a sat-fix to determine what direction you are moving.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Jupiter_Jack

Thanx for clearing that up... As for the compass, I suspected the S models had a better compass system.. I wish I had known the differences before I purchased a new unit.. Oh well my fault for not doing enough research.. For GeoCaching the unit works great putting me right on. It is a bit annoying about the compass though.. Thanx again for the replies..

Edited by zilla
Quick answer:

Not to confuse you further but there's a difference between an electronic compass and a magnetic compass. A GPS unit with a compass has an electronic compass; either two-axis or three-axis, but either way it's electronic, not magentic. A magnetic compass relies on magnetic north, somewhat obviously, while an electronic compass uses a sat-fix to determine what direction you are moving.

Edited for clarity.

Needs more editing. The Vista HCx has a compass built in that reads reliably when you are not moving because it has sensors that point to the magnetic pole, like a magnetic compass should. It may have an electronic display and use micro sized electronic modules to do so, but it is clearly a GPS with a magnetic compass. It does not need a sat fix at all.