'Secret' Travel Bug

ChannelFadge

I was planning a travel bug and wanted to know if this was possible...

I wanted the travel bug to placed in a cache without being reported, with instructions for the next cacher to find it to place it in another cache, report the find but not report the new drop-off.

Would this work? Would i be able to see a mileage for the TB? What I mean is, if a TB is not reported as being hidden in a certain cache, when someone retrieves it, would they be able to log is as being found in that cache?

Basically i want a TB that doesnt appear on the cache page when its hidden in that cache. But I still want to see where its been. Is it possible?

The system would not support it. If it is not dropped in the cache then it cannot be retrieved from there. It must be grabbed from the last cacher and the finder would have to report via note or dipping the grabbed bug where they found it. So you depend on the cachers to find, understand and carry out the instructions. It is possible but not too likely to work.

Short answer is no. Unless a tag is logged into a cache and then logged out there is no way to track the mileage to the next cache thru geocaching.com.

Assuming that you can get cachers to cooperate with your game plan in the first place, I suppose you could figure the mileage yourself using some mapping program but that will only work if they write a note on your TB page letting you know where the tag was dropped off.

Getting all cachers to cooperate in that manner is rather like trying to herd cats tho... :shocked:

CF30

You might like to have a look at this geocoin. Maybe something like this would work for your TB?

Disappearing Dog.

MrsB :shocked:

That might work but keep in mind you increase the chance of it going missing with no record of when it left the cache.

I thought about that for a bit...

I don't think it's at any more of a risk than any other geocoin in a cache being picked up by a cacher.

When I get the email of it being dropped into a cache I know where it is at that point in time (Or, as much as anyone can "believe" a dropped off log.)

I then make it "disappear" into the Unknown Location, but still knowing where it actually is.

It's fate is now in the hands of whichever geocacher finds it next. The only difference is that the cache page is not advertising the fact that a geocoin is in the cache.

If it's next found by a regular, honest geocacher the only difference is that they do a "grab" rather than a "retrieve" to take the coin into their hands.

If it's unlucky enough to be found by a dishonest geocacher and they walk off with it... Well, that could just as easily have happened whether it was showing on the cache page, or not.

Anyway... so far, so good.

MrsB :blink:

Edited by The Blorenges

If it's unlucky enough to be found by a dishonest geocacher and they walk off with it... Well, that could just as easily have happened whether it was showing on the cache page, or not.

Anytime you deviate from the standard Retrieve and Drop method you add in some risk, maybe not in every scenario, but definitely in some. As long as you understand this, then go ahead and set the mission.

There's been discussion in the past about setting the cache page to never show that a traveler is present. I've never thought that idea would assist the bug better than having it listed, in fact I think it would be a detriment to travelers, but if the owner wants to assume the risk then that's their prerogative.

In the case of the dissapearing dog GC, once a cacher finds it and logs it as 'Grabbed from another location' do they get to enter the cache that they found it in, this giving the GC mileage?

They don't need to enter the cache that they found it in because it was already dropped into that cache by the previous cacher. The mileage for that drop-off remains. The fact that I then mark it to 'Unknown Location' doesn't change the mileage of that last move it made.

When that next finder finds it in the cache and does their 'grab log' it's then in their hands, ready for them to drop off into another cache for the next mileage step.

If you click the View Map link for the coin you can still see the unbroken mileage route it has taken so far. I admit that the whole thing is a bit "experimental" - As BlueDeuce pointed out... This owner has assumed all risks for her trackable's bizarre behaviour". :blink:

MrsB :shocked:

Edited by The Blorenges

In the case of the dissapearing dog GC, once a cacher finds it and logs it as 'Grabbed from another location' do they get to enter the cache that they found it in, this giving the GC mileage?

They don't need to enter the cache that they found it in because it was already dropped into that cache by the previous cacher. The mileage for that drop-off remains. The fact that I then mark it to 'Unknown Location' doesn't change the mileage of that last move it made.

When that next finder finds it in the cache and does their 'grab log' it's then in their hands, ready for them to drop off into another cache for the next mileage step.

If you click the View Map link for the coin you can still see the unbroken mileage route it has taken so far. I admit that the whole thing is a bit "experimental" - As BlueDeuce pointed out... This owner has assumed all risks for her trackable's bizarre behaviour". :(

MrsB :blink:

Ah okay then. I like that idea, theres no extra work for the cacher, they just log and drop it as usualy. You just have to keep an eye on the TB and move it to unknown location every time.

Hope you dont mind if I steal that idea, the TB will be a comletely different theme, I just dont want people to look at a cache they ar p lanning to find, see the TB in it then look at the TB page before they 'unwittingly' pick it up :shocked: