Geomate Problem

Team Herfel

I just picked up a geomate jr yesterday. The date showing is 9/17/09. I live in Minneapolis, MN.

The problem is that the geomate is saying the nearest cache is 88 miles away, but there are many more than that including many regular caches within a couple miles.

Has anyone had an experience with this? Any idea what's going on?

I guess I'll be bringing it back to REI if it's not supposed to work in Minneapolis or something. Thanks in advance for your help.

Try powering off and back on the GeomateJR. The unit only shows the 20 nearest caches at the time of its' satellite lock. If it thought it had a lock and then got a better signal that put it in the correct location it would still show the caches near the original "false" location.

The JR does not update the 20 nearest list until you recycle power.

I just picked up a geomate jr yesterday. The date showing is 9/17/09. I live in Minneapolis, MN.

The problem is that the geomate is saying the nearest cache is 88 miles away, but there are many more than that including many regular caches within a couple miles.

I guess I'll be bringing it back to REI if it's not supposed to work in Minneapolis or something. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Team Herfel

Hmmmm, have you used an Update Kit to update the database and selected West USA by chance?? The cutoff line for the West USA database is suspiciously close to Minneapolis (I think the map on the web site is a little off - I'm double checking to be sure). If you select the East USA database then the overlap extends into North and South Dakota.

Otherwise, rather than using the forums as a direct support channel, please email me at warren@apisphere.com and I'm sure we'll quickly work out what is going on.

Cheers

Warren

(Geomate.jr bloke)

East vs West Update!

Yep, as a follow up from my last post, I just confirmed that the map on the site showing where the West USA list finishes was a little out. But rather changing the map, we're changing the cutoff line! The West USA list has (up to now) stopped at longitude -95 degrees (which puts it just inside the Minnesota border, or about 100 miles from Minneapolis). As of the next update (tonight), the West USA list will go all the way to -90 degrees (which takes it through Wisconsin).

Cheers

Warren

Thanks for your help everyone! Warren figured out the problem and we should be up and running shortly. The unit I bought had been returned and whoever bought it must have installed the wrong update before returning it.

Thank you!

Thanks for your help everyone! Warren figured out the problem and we should be up and running shortly. The unit I bought had been returned and whoever bought it must have installed the wrong update before returning it.

Thank you!

In actuality ... Minnesota was sold to an off shore country in exchange for California's debt burden and the Governator is quite pleased with the transaction. tee, Hee, hee, Hee