Cachemate Question

Delta68

Is it possible to change/move the Cachemate database directory to the memory card?

It will work form the PDAs storage card, however, I am not sure if you can just move the location of the database and it still work. I've checked the program options and I cannot see anyway of selecting a different database location.

When I installed cachemate I had the program install to the memory card, so that is where the database is also. So Im assuming that you would need to do a remove and new install specifing the memory card as the install location (however I could be totaly wrong - lol).

PS Im using a Mio P550

Thanks for the reply. I suspected this might be the case.

I'm sure I read somewhere a few months ago that it was possible to specify a directory with the registered version of Cachemate. I've been using unregistered for ages and just decided to pay for it today thinking that all manner of goodies would be revealed :D

(This is also using a Mio P550)

Thanks

Mark

From memory it has to be installed on the Memory Card, but this will slow down Cachemate, especially when importing the GPX files to create the database. So here are some tips,

1. Create the Database using the GSAK macro written by Big Wolf, then copy the created Database to the SD card (not via ActiveSync) using a card reader,

2. Purchase a fast memory card, most (unless it states so on the card) are usually less than 600 KB/s so look for high speed cards of 20MB/s. The cheap jobs from the famous auction site might state x133 (20MB/s) but often they can be slower Chinese copies, so buy from a known source.

3. Don't overfill your card, for efficient running any storage should have a minimum of 20% left free. Just a tip the same goes for your computers hard disk.

4. Buy the biggest card you can afford, I have a card of almost 4GB in my MIO 550, yes there are some SD cards which nearly touch the 4GB limit, you just need to shop around, I think I got mine from http://www.memoryc.com/ Remember that the MIO will only take SD cards and will not work with the newer SDHC cards.

Moote

Edited just to add the following

Yes was MemoryC and found 2 4GB SD cards see below

http://www.memoryc.com/flashmemorycards/sd...d133xultra.html

http://www.memoryc.com/flashmemorycards/sd...ispeed150x.html

Edited by Moote

4. Buy the biggest card you can afford, I have a card of almost 4GB in my MIO 550, yes there are some SD cards which nearly touch the 4GB limit, you just need to shop around, I think I got mine from http://www.memoryc.com/ Remember that the MIO will only take SD cards and will not work with the newer SDHC cards.

Moote

Wrong! I've a 4GB SDHC in my mio P560

Not wrong at all, I was using this example for the OPs MIO P550 :D

Thanks moote

I already use Big Wolf's macro and write directly to the memory card (when inserted in the netbook)

I then have to move the databse to the DB_Files folder with program files on the Mio.

If the only way to avoid having to move databases to have it running slower, I don't think I'll bother <_<

I bought a 4GB SD card (not HD) about 18 months ago but it failed when we needed it most (sounds dramatic :D )

I had TomTom for France and Belgium on it in preparation for a daytrip and when we got to Callais, plugged it in and it didn't work - never trusted it since...

Mark

Thanks moote

I already use Big Wolf's macro and write directly to the memory card (when inserted in the netbook)

I then have to move the databse to the DB_Files folder with program files on the Mio.

If the only way to avoid having to move databases to have it running slower, I don't think I'll bother :o

I bought a 4GB SD card (not HD) about 18 months ago but it failed when we needed it most (sounds dramatic :D )

I had TomTom for France and Belgium on it in preparation for a daytrip and when we got to Callais, plugged it in and it didn't work - never trusted it since...

Mark

Mark

I have found that using a 20MB/s speed card and producing the DB as I stated it hardly makes any noticable difference in the running speed of Cachemate. It is the GPX import that is notoriously slow if performed on an SD card (I think this is the reason Big Wolf wrote the macro), mainly because Read and Write is going on almost at the same time, So the macro has stopped the need to do this, and you will no longer be performing bulk Read / Writes in quick succession. Therefore Cachemate on a SD card is no longer a problem. <_<

I have been using my ~4GB card, since 2006 with no issues, I purchased it from MemoryC a trusted source, and I made sure it was SD and not the SDHC type (a mistake made by many) The links I gave you are for 2 high quality SD cards, the x133 card being great value for money.

Moote

I have one of these exact same Transcend 4Gb SD cards here in front of me right now. If I plug it into the SD card slot on my (non-SDHC compliant) laptop, it recognises there is a card in, but it can't write to it. If I put the same card into a USB SDHC card reader, it recognises it straight away. I bought it from an Amazon trader about 6 months ago. I complained that despite being labelled SD, it was actually SDHC. They gave me my money back and I was told to keep the card.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has bought a 4Gb SD card recently which works on SD only. I need to replace mine as it is cracked.