Found an unpublished cache ?

RickOnTheRange

While out for a family bicycle ride, we found a geocache that does not seem to appear on any list of caches in the area. In Ontario, on the Georgian Trail between Meaford and Thornbury on Georgian Bay's West side. 44-35.485N 80-34.232W The camo covered loc-loc box had a note explaining that it was an official geocache, refered to www.geocaching.com, but did not indicate a cache name, or who placed it. The log book had 1 entry - Oct 6/08 Dave Minielly, Woodstock. Of course, we traded items, and entered in the log book, but I wonder what to do now. I checked NaviCache just in case, but found nothing. Have we intruded on someone's invitation only cache, or was this cache "unapproved" by Groundspeak ? Do we just ignore it, and "cache-on" ? Any ideas ?

Looking at the co-ordinates given, there are within 27 feet of an unpublished cache with a posted date around the date indicated in the logbook. The cache has an unresolved issue that was never addressed by the cache owner and therefore could not be published due to this issue.

Edited by Cache-tech

I would think that since it is almost a year old and that it was an unresolved issue that the CO never bother to rectify that it would now be conside geo-garbage and should be collected.

If you are able to bike ride past it again I would pick it up and maybe use it to rehide as your own cache or toss in the garbage.

Edited by brendah

I think the first step here would be for Cache-Tech (or another individual with access to the CO's contact info) to contact the CO, and request removal. While we can assume it's geo-trash, the first step should still be an attempt to contact the CO, in case there is another factor we are unaware of.

opps :) I missed including that step! I agree with NP. Definitely contact Cache-tech or CacheDrone and see if they could contact the cache owner (CO) on your behalf (or if there is a way for you to contact the CO) to see if he is going to gather the cache up or make the necessary changes.

THEN if he is not going to do anything, someone should pick it up and re-use the stuff or toss it out.

Thanks NP :laughing:

Edited by brendah

While we would all like to think that the few geocaching websites are the only games in town, I would like to remind everyone that the cache itself is the property of the person who placed it there. Even though it has an official stash note and a history with Groundspeak of not being published, this does not give anyone the right to remove the container, except the placer or the land owner / manager. My advice would be to leave it where it is until someone in an official capacity asks you to remove it. One can only guess why it is still there until the placer says otherwise.

Edited by Keith Watson

As far as I am concerned, the reviewer did contact the cache owner at the time of review and again a month later. There will be no further action taken on our part. The cache belongs to the cache placer, therefore I also will not request it removed as a reviewer, although I am always happy when CITO occurs.

While I do agree that the cache belongs to the cache placer and that it is possible that it is a game piece on any number of other GPS gaming sites, or even one of the many Letterboxing sites, it can be a difficult decision to simply 'turn a blind eye' to what appears to be an abandoned cache People feel a responsibility to take care of the environment when out caching and that is commendable.

Archived caches and unpublished caches that are not removed by the placer are ultimately trash and I would think they would be to anyone that does not play our little game. We often state that we are a self-policing group and think environmentally when caching. These items have the potential to be a 'black mark' on our game and would reflect poorly on us all. As a reviewer I am bound by a "code of ethics" that prevents me from removing anyone's cache regardless of the situation but I simply cannot agree that leaving abandoned caches in the wild is the right solution. Trouble is, there is no sure fire way to identify what is truly abandoned.

Intentionally removing someone else's cache that is obviously active and being signed/logged is completely inappropriate, but caches from any game should be properly identified along with a method to contact the owner (through a website ID code, email address or similar) as a means to ensure that people have a way to verify with you that you are still monitoring your placement. In short, every cache should include a method for the owner to be contacted either directly or indirectly.

I certainly would not and cannot condone the removal of any cache, letterbox, summit register, etc. but I also cannot fault someone that did due diligence, attempted to contact the owner and ultimately removed the cache because no owner could be found.