Geochachers/Hikers beware

Jeepster++

Stay alert and be careful out there folks...

CNN.com article

That's a really interesting article; thanks for linking to it. I couldn't find anything on the US Forest Service regarding documentation or podcasts on how to recognize a pot field; however, the "Visitor Safety" page also mentions that methamphetamine labs are becoming more common in the forests, too. Bottom line, if you see something weird (and not cacher weird -- weird weird), get to safety and let the rangers know.

I bring up marijuana grow operations whenever the "do you carry a gun while geocaching?" threads are brought up. The most likely people to encounter pot farms are hunters who prefer the backcountry. These remote areas feature the water (where the game are located) and lack of large crowds. Due to the remoteness of these areas, they are popular with the dope growers. Most operations in California are run by the Mexican Mafia.

As a geocacher who prefers the remote country, i'm always keenly aware of my surroundings.

Here is a geocache I won't bother finding because I suspect it is near an illegal Marijuana crop.

Roger's Camp

I also found grow remnants (large bundles of black dripline) while finding the nearby The Pianobox Prospect

Edited by Kit Fox