puzzle caches - confused

gazelen

;) found our 90th cache today - getting there but feel a bit flumoxed by the puzzle and multicaches - have found two but from spoilers and instinct - can solve the puzzles (i think) but do not know how to enter them into my Garmin Venture H - im obviously doing something completely wrong and missing out in return - its got to the point where i just avoid looking for any of them - quite sad :unsure:

;) found our 90th cache today - getting there but feel a bit flumoxed by the puzzle and multicaches - have found two but from spoilers and instinct - can solve the puzzles (i think) but do not know how to enter them into my Garmin Venture H - im obviously doing something completely wrong and missing out in return - its got to the point where i just avoid looking for any of them - quite sad :unsure:

Hi!

What I do in my Garmin Oregon is mark a waypoint. Then I modify the name and coordinates. I modify the name to read PZZL <Name of Cache> so that I can find it easily in the field. I then modify the coordinates to match the puzzle solution.

I'm hoping that your Garmin is similar to mine and that this will help. Good luck and I hope that you will have many fine puzzle caches ahead of you.

Carolyn

Edited by Steve&GeoCarolyn

This procedure works on every Garmin I've used which is at least 4 models. Create a waypoint using the mark function. Then edit it. Editing varies depending on the model but it is usually involves highlighting the field you want to change on the view waypoint screen, hitting enter and then changing the entry to what you want. If you use GSAK you can also create a waypoint in GSAk and then send it to your GPS as usual.

Team Taran

Yup - its way less than intuitive but you "mark" where you are - "edit" that to where you want to go. Then select that point and "goto". General procedure in all Garmin models I have used.

For what it's worth, this is the way you manually enter coordinates for most devices, including my old Magellan.

If you can connect your device to a computer, though, there are far easier ways. I see you are a Premium member, which means you can download Pocket Queries. I highly recommend acquiring a copy of GSAK. In GSAK, you can enter solved puzzle coordinates in many ways. You can create a new waypoint, edit the original puzzle with the new coordinates (also edit the name and GC code so you don't overwrite it in the future... I usually append -SOL to the end), or you can add a child waypoint to the original cache waypoint. The child waypoint method is useful if you still need to go to the original waypoint (parking, trailhead, etc.).

GSAK has "Corrected Coordinates" column to add Corrected coordinates, and GSAK has a send to GPS setting that sends the corrected, rather than 'original' coordinates when you "send to GPS" ready for caching.

edit to add...

And theres a macro, which will send the original puzzle co-ords to the GPS as 'Parking' as often the co-ords at the top of the page are a good place to park when hunting Puzzle/Unknown caches!

Edited by Bear and Ragged