How to find an archived cache listing?

Torgut

We recently upgraded our membership and ran our first pocket query, all caches within 10 miles of the house. I have come across one cache so far whose number starts with the letters AR and after searching the area well I could not come up with the find and looking the number up resulted in "cache is unpublished." I think the query generator includes archived caches.

So I'm thinking if you know the area of the archived cache you might run a query.

I have come across one cache so far whose number starts with the letters AR and after searching the area well I could not come up with the find and looking the number up resulted in "cache is unpublished."

You have searched using a code for an additional waypoint NOT a geocache

You stick any letters or numbers you want in to the 'by GC Code:' box and it will say 'Cache is Unpublished'

(unless of course you have entered a valid code)

:)

There was talk a few months back about bringing back the ability for us to search for archived cache listings. I don't see that thread right this minute but i do believe that Raine or one of the other lackeys stated that the feature would probably be back. If i'm right in my thinking, has anyone heard of a proposed date for it to once again be implemented?

It would really be helpful, especially now that the price of ammocans is going up. I figure there is a good possibility that some containers were never picked up by their owners and this feature could be used to track down some of those and recycle back into new geocaches...

There was talk a few months back about bringing back the ability for us to search for archived cache listings. I don't see that thread right this minute but i do believe that Raine or one of the other lackeys stated that the feature would probably be back.

They did say that, but recently they changed their mind and said it will never come back.

Better get a second job so you can buy more ammo cans :P

They did say that, but recently they changed their mind and said it will never come back.

The reason Raine gave was what I assumed to be the reason that it was taken away in the first place; making the archived cache listings readily accessible is just asking people to go and find them, especially when [unspoken truth] most caches archived for reasons other than muggling are probably still in-place [/unspoken truth].

Although in the precise circumstance that was mentioned, I thought that was what 'Retract' was for, no?

The removal of archived caches from searches was before my time - what was the reason given for taking the feature away at the time?

Edited by JeremyR

Your post can be interpreted two ways:

How can I look-up caches that have been archived?

and

Is it possible to log a find on a cache that has been archived.

To the former, many options have been presented.

As for the latter, it is a bit of a sticky wicket.

If indeed the cache is still in place, and you did find it and sign the log (or left some concrete evidence of your visit if the log was un-signable), then yes, an archived cache is findable.

Some less than scrupulous cachers will post find logs on archived caches where the owner has dropped out of the game, thus enhancing their find-count undeservedly.

Please do not join the second group.