Never Cache along again!

When I set up my GC.com/Twitter/Facebook accounts to show the caches I have found as I find them, I found that I was getting a lot of texts as I was out caching. It's cool, because every cache hunt has the potential to become a discussion thread on my facebook/twitter page. I find one cache...and as soon as I post the Fieldnote, I start getting replied via facebook from my facebook friends..then before long we might be posting comments about things. It has certainly enriched my own caching experience.

This was the only post in this thread that seemed like a good idea and finally a reason for me to consider using Twitter.

When I set up my GC.com/Twitter/Facebook accounts to show the caches I have found as I find them, I found that I was getting a lot of texts as I was out caching. It's cool, because every cache hunt has the potential to become a discussion thread on my facebook/twitter page. I find one cache...and as soon as I post the Fieldnote, I start getting replied via facebook from my facebook friends..then before long we might be posting comments about things. It has certainly enriched my own caching experience.

This was the only post in this thread that seemed like a good idea and finally a reason for me to consider using Twitter.

Yes, there is a sort of aGeocaching community on Twitter. Just search for Geocaching on there. Headhardhat and Cache Advance come to mind as people with hundreds of followers and lots of discussion. Not that they're the only ones.

Don't worry Knowschad, I too support your suspiciousness. :D I don't know though, I think the OP is just a really, really enthusiastic social networking dude. I have seen several noobs mere days into their Geocaching careers wanting to start local organizations. One of them, in Pennsylvania, even started one that succeeded!

Besides, The OP found five caches today, so it's not like he Geocided or anything. :(

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Geez...Is this thread STILL going on?

Yes. Would you like some acai berries? (not spam)

Of course! But only as long as it's

AcaiGogo - The Brazilian Secret to Health!

thumb_acaisell.jpg

What's great about AcaiGogo is it's perfect for the geocacher on the go.

Why lug around tons of bottles of other Acai juice products? How will THAT help me on a 5 terrain?

No, I use the convenient, easy to pour AcaiGogo drink mix packets, so I can get my valuable anti-oxidants and still cross creeks and climb mountains. Mmm...and so tasty too!

acaibottle.jpg

And with 30 packets at only 19.95, I'd be INSANE not to buy it!

Live grand, live vibrant, live long with AcaiGogo.

(not spam)

Edited by chrisrayn

And from my experience a hound dog usually has a pretty good sense of smell.

Wag! Wag! Happy happy happy! Bark! :( Seriously, thanks for the support! :D

Since the OP hasn't been heard of for a while, there's probably no harm in my mentioning what I sniffed out. The OP not only hid his first cache on the very day he joined, but within the week , he created a geocaching organization and website (currently with two members besides himself. This must be the first in the Los Angeles area?) Googling his name will reveal over 12 pages of hits (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I did a little research, and I knew before I posted my first reply that we were not talking about a 90 year old man or a high school male that recently got dumped by his girlfriend as has recently been suggested in a fictional account intended primarily to demean me rather than to support the OP. We're talking about a middle aged insurance salesman (not that there's anything wrong with that!) that is connected to every tech site that he can find (not that there's anything wrong with that, either!), and, I'm guessing here, is hoping to get an easy slice of the financial pie (not that there's anything wrong with that). I don't think he was ever interested in geocaching. He was interested in the geocaching dollar.

Is that wrong? No! Of course not! OK... he wasn't the first geocaching intrepeneur to hit the scenes. Not by a long shot. But at least be up-front about it. I don't like BS and I tend to be very quick about calling people on it when I think I sense it.

I did what I did, what I did, and I said what I said. If I was wrong... sometimes that happens. But really, I don't think so, and I'm not going to sit by passively and let myself be badmouthed by a couple of opportunists that are generally much ruder in these forums than I every was in this situation!

You've proved yourself to be quite the online stalker, but haven't proven your premise, at all.

You've proved yourself to be quite the online stalker, but haven't proven your premise, at all.

Just the past couple of years, the way people use their real names on Facebook and Twitter, the challenge in being on online stalker has almost become non-existent. Now find out the OP is an Insurance Salesman in 1998, then I'd be impressed. :(

Oh, that and it's in his GC.com profile.

I wonder if there is some confusion between cache listing guidelines and forum guidelines. While both guidelines address commerciality and pushing of broader agendas, the forum posting guidelines seem to a little more forgiving in so far as the agenda reasonably relates to geoaching and GPS usage. In addition classified advertising is allowed in the GPS Garage Sale forum and, per guidlines for the Geocoin forums in that area as well.

While a cache page that requires you to sign up for an account or provide personal information to another website is not allowed, there appears to be nothing in the forum guideline that state you cannot post an invitation to a discussion group, chat room, or personal blog so long as this is geocaching related. If a forum post does appear to be spam or violate the commercial/agenda guidelines it would seem the proper approach is to report the post so a forum moderator can lock the thread (and remove objectionable links if necessary) rather than to attack the poster.

People.........Few things here, since I happen to pop back in to see what was up on this thread.

1) I'm not middle age, I'm 37. You're killing me here. :D

2) I am very active in social media, and love it. Clearly, if you're reading this, you are too.

3) I own an insurance agency and am the technology editor for Westside Today magazines.

At any rate, I had and have ZERO interest in monitizing geocaching. Never even occured to me. I love social media, staying connected and being involved in things. I've tried to see about RSS feeds for geocaching events (other thread), I've looked for Los Angeles based Geocaching groups and the like. Yes, I'm new at it, however that doesn't automatically make me a sneaky, money grubbing I don't know what.

Instead of jumping on people, whether you put a disclaimer of being wrong or not, how about giving people the benefit of the doubt. I always do. Should I quote Rodney King? :()

KarlWireless

It is time for all of the side discussions to go away please. Let's get back to the topic at hand.

When I saw this, I thought that the GC.com/Twitter/Facebook integration was probably enough for me. I've started looking at Brightkite too. I am not sure I am ready for yet another interactive form since most of the time I am out caching to get away from all of that. Still, good luck with your idea on that service.

Edited by mtn-man

(Edited to be in line with mtn-man's previous post, which I didn't see until after I'd hit 'go'.)

So, what say everone just starts over?

I'll start:

Welcome to geocaching, Karl. Hope you enioy it, and don't forget to log your finds online.

Happy trails..............

Edited by WebChimp
Webchimp - Thanks. So far the caching is much more fun than the forum posting. :(
I think that this is true for 95+% of the people posting here. Still, there are some hours that we are stuck in front of a computer...

Regarding your original post, I cache to basically get away from life (and people) for a little while. To that end, I don't think that I would be interested in what you are suggesting. However, I bet that there are a ton of more sociable cachers that would be interested.

Webchimp - Thanks. So far the caching is much more fun than the forum posting. :(

Don't get the wrong idea about the forums, they are a good place to frequent. Someitmes there are differing viewpoints, just as in the real world, but we're quick to get past that and move along.

Back to topic..........

I tried using Twitter, but really couldn't find any value in it. I think I made my decision to leave it alone when I realized my moment to moment activities weren't all that intersting, and when I relaized that i didnt; care who was drivign to work, who was in the grocery store, and who just had a thought. It was information overload of the most un-interesting sort. (Maybe my fiends and I lead dull lives.)

Out caching, the only immediate info I ever want is the occasional life-line. It may be I haven't seen what the service can really do for me, but from what I've seen so far, I'm pretty okay with a cell phone and texting capability.

Twitter is one of those things you either just 'get' or don't get. I have around 2000 followers personally and about 3000 business. I only follow a handful. It is kinda fun sometimes to see what people you are at least vaguely interested in are up to. Twittercache anyone? LMAO. Ok.

Knowschat - ok as long as you stop the middle age talk.

Since we're done with this topic, where is a good thread to start if I want to get some caching tips from the more seasoned?

Twitter is one of those things you either just 'get' or don't get. I have around 2000 followers personally and about 3000 business. I only follow a handful. It is kinda fun sometimes to see what people you are at least vaguely interested in are up to. Twittercache anyone? LMAO. Ok.

Since we're done with this topic, where is a good thread to start if I want to get some caching tips from the more seasoned?

"Middle-aged" was a compliment, Karl. That's *young*!! :(

Regarding your original post, I cache to basically get away from life (and people) for a little while. To that end, I don't think that I would be interested in what you are suggesting. However, I bet that there are a ton of more sociable cachers that would be interested.

This is basically true of me and my beloved as well. I carry a cell phone when we cache, but only because I'm required to be instantly available if a server goes down. It is my true hope that I will never be on the phone, twittering, or engaged with other people while caching. I'm not a phone-a-friend type. I don't see anything wrong with asking for help from friends, but it would ruin the illusion of aloneness for me if I did it while caching. One of the sad things about living east of the Mississippi is that it is so terribly settled that you can never truly find real wilderness of the sort I knew in the Rocky Mountains so I am never able to get more than a bit of true people-free quiet time.

However, here in the Mid-South there are many cachers who are far more social that we are and they would probably be happy with something like this.

I think it is possible for different people to get different things from Twitter. I use Twitter regularly and like what it adds to my life. But I certainly don't use it the way you do and wouldn't want to. It's not that I don't "get" Twitter just like it's not that I don't "get" the idea of cell phone usage simply because I'm not always on it. Technology like Twitter thrives in part because it is amenable to differing usages and can be personalized for each user's desired experience.

I think it is probably a mistake to over-generalize about what people should get out of social media applications.

I'm kind of lost here. My understanding is that early middle age comprises the mid-30s to mid-40s. Middle middle age comprises the mid-40s through mid-50s. And late middle age comprises the mid-50s through mid-60s. I think these definitions are quite durable and have been used for quite a while. What source are you using that defines it differently?

Carolyn

I'm kind of lost here. My understanding is that early middle age comprises the mid-30s to mid-40s. Middle middle age comprises the mid-40s through mid-50s. And late middle age comprises the mid-50s through mid-60s. I think these definitions are quite durable and have been used for quite a while. What source are you using that defines it differently?

Late middle? No, no, no............. Mid 50's is just reaching middle age. Middle age doesn't start until you stop denying the grey hair, quit trying to dress like you're 30, and get one of those little pill containers with one compartment for each day of the week. I've just now reached the start of middle age at 53.

Late middle? No, no, no............. Mid 50's is just reaching middle age. Middle age doesn't start until you stop denying the grey hair, quit trying to dress like you're 30, and get one of those little pill containers with one compartment for each day of the week. I've just now reached the start of middle age at 53.

I've had salt-pepper hair since I was 15. LOL

Middle-aged is always 10 years older than you are.

(Mtn-man is gonna come back and yell at us for going off-topic again!!) :D

This is nice chat. I think everyone knows what I was talking about. nod.gif

Karl, middle age is sneaking up on you man. Don't turn around. :(

WebChimp, I'm right teetering too it seems and know what you mean. I keep exercising to hold it off some.

I get Twitter, but it isn't for me I don't think. I see it for some people and for business, and the commercial on TV where the dad Twitt's "I'm sitting in my chair" and then chuckles when his kid huffs and puffs is funny to me (doing it to irritate the kid). I don't think my life is that interesting either, so I don't message there much at all. I do have fun on Facebook though. Sending pictures there directly from my phone is pretty cool. Caching related photos are going to make their way to the appropriate logs too.

Honestly, when I am caching, I typically am trying to do as many as possible, so texting isn't going to work for me. It is going to slow me down. I'll do phone and send photos (can send a photo while walking back to the car), but texting is going to have to be brief, question related and informational only.