So how do you have your searches etc. set up?

climbingcrew

Do you mainly just do a pocket query first thing in the morning looking for new items ?

Or do you use the hide and seek feature with say your home coordinates each day? Do you have the items with red checkmarks set to ignore as you have already done them, or do you leave them as you might want to follow the logs now and then?

I'm just curious on the best way to set things up so that I can see the caches nearest me and can see the new caches too. I did set up a notify today.

How do you organize and check things?

Thanks!

I receive an email notification of any new cache within 10 miles of my home and my email program will sound off an alarm. If I decide to go look for it right right way, I download it into my GPSr, then go. If I decide no big hurry, I'll just wait a few days for more new ones to popup, then do a PQ.

I have a special email account just for caching and a couple folders. One for general geocaching emails and one for PQ's. My email program sorts them for me.

Gupy is uploaded every week for all caches (not found, not on ignores list &c) within 65 miles, and all of New Jersey. He has no problem with 10000 caches. Paw Pilot does not hold as many. (Not sure what his limit is...) I load him with where I plan to be this weekend. Nearest 200 caches or so. This weekend's plans are for Central Park in NYC, and Secaucus, NJ. Might toss in Hackensack, NJ. That should load 300 caches or so. And, I'm ready to go! With GSAK, Paw is easy to reprogram, if plans change.

For last year's DeLorme Invasion of Maine Tour (with stops in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont), or this year's Let's Color in the Map Eleven State Tour of the Mid-Atlantic & Southern States, I created bookmark lists of interesting/semi-intersting caches along our planned routes. And loaded them into Gupy and Paw. For the Eleven State Tour (including the D of C), my bookmark was about 236 caches. We found 87 of them, and had a great tiime! Nine new states (including the D of C) for my sister. Five new states for us. (We'd already been to the D of C.)

I have a few PQs that I run every day, they cover the East coast of Florida from Jacksonville to Vero Beach as well as a few major inland cities like Orlando, Lakeland, Ocala, Gainesville and one query that's centered on the Ocala National Forest.

I store these PQs in GSAK and look for higher density areas to target first. I usually go caching once a week and decide a day or two ahead of time where I'll be going, so I browse the caches on a map to plan my route.

This has allowed me to increase my finds/day compared to when I first started caching and would just load up a bunch of caches and start looking...often driving in circles and finding myself right around the corner from where I started throughout the day.

By planning your route you can be more efficient, allowing for more finds/day or meeting your daily goal in less time so you can spend more time with your family, whatever way you want to look at it.

Everyone has different goals and different comfort levels...so you really need to find what works best for you.