making a cache

TRBof4

I was jsut curious on others oppinions. I have only been geocaching for a little while though I am a frequent outdoor adventurer. I have seen many places that would be excellent settings for caches but dont plan on putting any there untill I have alot more time vested into this game. I have seen multiple people hiding thier first cache after just a few finds, I kinda feel it should be earned. How long do you think is appropriate before placing your first cache?

The moment you spot a good place for a cache and get a good container in place with coords. Of course you also need to read and fully understand all the guidelines and make certain your hide fits.

...and not a moment sooner.

I hid my first within a day after finding my first. Its Still there - 7.5 years later.

I recommend that you wait until you know what kinds of caches you like, and what kinds of caches you don't like, so you can be sure to hide the kinds of caches you like.

It also helps if you've had time to figure out what kinds of containers work well, and what kinds of containers work poorly.

A good location and a proper container trump experience. If you have both and are comfortable placing the hide then go for it. Much easier to do in a rural or wooded location as compared to an urban location due to the differences in muggle traffic. Good luck and have fun.

How long do you think is appropriate before placing your first cache?

Tomorrow if you feel inspired to do so. The idea that you have to have X number of finds or wait Y number of days before hiding a cache is absolute nonsense.

I placed my first cache after one find and 7+ years later it's still out there and and after what I've learned after 270+ hides and 700+ finds, there is little I would have done differently.

I've seen people with thousands of finds place caches that were absolute garbage and people with a couple of finds place outstanding caches.

I say go for it. I have been waiting to place a chache until I had everything I needed (we're in the process of moving and my printer is at the other house...need to print out the letter for inside of the cache).

Anyway, in the mean time...someone has placed a micro in the spot I was going to place a regular sized cache. :huh: So, in my case, ya snooze ya lose :laughing:

If you have a good spot and you know the rules, place it!

Edited by simpler1773

It's a strange game indeed. Ever since I got started in this hobby I look at everything in a different way. I think to myself...what a cool place for a cache!

I then either check with the property owner to see if I can place one there or run home and see what permissions are needed.

If you've found a great spot and have obtained any permissions then I say GO FOR IT! I love seeing that someone has found my hides.

I think the next best thing to finding a geocache is having someone find yours. Especially that FTF!