GSAK macro for Vista HCx

Yes. I am not sure how many characters your GPSr handles, but this is what I used with the 60CS.

When you use the "SEND TO GPS" in GSAK, where it says WAYPOINT NAME, put the following string in;

%drop2-%con1,%typ1-%dif1,%ter1-%bug%notGC%code

You can look up the tags in the help menu.

The Vista HCx software is much the same as on the 60-series units.

Waypoints can have 14 characters in a name and 30 in the description.

POI's (which are slightly more complicated to generate) can have 60-character names and 100-character descriptions.

Yes. I am not sure how many characters your GPSr handles, but this is what I used with the 60CS.

When you use the "SEND TO GPS" in GSAK, where it says WAYPOINT NAME, put the following string in;

%drop2-%con1,%typ1-%dif1,%ter1-%bug%notGC%code

You can look up the tags in the help menu.

Sorry, multi-tasking watching the race.

%drop2 = Drop the "GC" off the number

%con1 = 1 Char container description

%typ1 = 1 Char cache type

%dif1 = 1 char difficulty rating. It rounds up.

%ter1 = 1 char terrain rating. It rounds up.

%bug = bug Y or N

you can take the dashes out, they only helped me with readability.

A cache would look like this;

1VPVPD5MT11N

GC1VPD5 Micro Traditional 1 Difficulty 1 Terrain No Bug

Thank you so much for that little string. It will help me so much. You said I could remove the dashes, can I also remove the commas or do I need those? Also, are you putting this in the cache name or description? I see that I can have up to 30 characters in the description and only 14 in the name. If it is possible I may just leave the cache name and number the same and maybe put some additional info. in the cache description if I can??

Thank you so much for that little string. It will help me so much. You said I could remove the dashes, can I also remove the commas or do I need those? Also, are you putting this in the cache name or description? I see that I can have up to 30 characters in the description and only 14 in the name. If it is possible I may just leave the cache name and number the same and maybe put some additional info. in the cache description if I can??

The commas need to stay. As to the rest, you would need to find someone more experienced with your GPSr. Sorry.

My current format looks like this (using gpxrewrite):

Waypoint_Format=%I %N
Desc_Format=%L5%s%d%t %O3 %h

In GSAK this would probably be approximated by:

%drop2 %name
%last4,%con1,%dif1,%ter1 %ownerName %hint

(The differences: GSAK only would include the last 4 logs instead of 5, and wouldn't truncate the owner name)

Just thought I'd share.

Edited by Corey

My current format looks like this (using gpxrewrite):

Waypoint_Format=%I %N
Desc_Format=%L5%s%d%t %O3 %h

In GSAK this would probably be approximated by:

%drop2 %name
%last4,%con1,%dif1,%ter1 %ownerName %hint

(The differences: GSAK only would include the last 4 logs instead of 5, and wouldn't truncate the owner name)

Race over, don't have to wait for commercials or yellows to type.

There a literally hundreds of combinations you (the OP) can do. In GSAK, hit F! and under the INDEX tab type "Special Tags" for a list of all the possibilities.

I don't know why someone else has mentioned this to you, but if you go to gsak.net, and then go to the gsak macro library, the first entry is gps60csxpoi. This is what I use on my Vista HCx to make my geocaching paperless. I would suggest doing a search using gps60csxpoi, and I would bet you would come up with lots of help on how to use it. If you don't want to build your own, I would highly recommend you using it. It works terrifically! It will give you ALL the info that is in the normal cache description.