What IS & ISN'T in the "Spirit" of Geocaching?

But really the spirit of geocaching is about baking bread and it was a typo of a different nature: Should have read "there are 8 yeast steps to geocaching" ... sorry to have to reveal the secret but part of it is that geomate jr is a breadmaker.

Yeast is used for more than just baking bread. Actually, the first use of yeast is in fermentation.

Distill your fermented brew, and you get spirits.

See? I told you guys before, but no one believed me.

But really the spirit of geocaching is about baking bread and it was a typo of a different nature: Should have read "there are 8 yeast steps to geocaching" ... sorry to have to reveal the secret but part of it is that geomate jr is a breadmaker.

Yeast is used for more than just baking bread. Actually, the first use of yeast is in fermentation.

I'm not sure how I missed that :D I'm not a good symbologist.

I'm not sure how I missed that :D I'm not a good symbologist.

Trying to install Remote Desktop on the 3 desktops and 2 laptops with 3 different versions of XP on them and a new server in my house. This is definitely not in the spirit of geocaching.

But when I get it working I'll be able to load a PQ from anywhere in the house or out on the deck in a right quick hurry, that's the spirit!

You should have used VNC. That's in the spirit of geocaching :D

It is mentioned that deliberately misleading someone is non-spiritual. Would placing a decoy cache with co-ordinates that lead to a location with nothing there to let you know it is a decoy be considered deliberately misleading?

For the record, I had spent innumerable day and nighttime hours tossing the supposed GZ only to finally break down and email previous finders, to find out the sad truth.

It is mentioned that deliberately misleading someone is non-spiritual. Would placing a decoy cache with co-ordinates that lead to a location with nothing there to let you know it is a decoy be considered deliberately misleading?
It might be. Or it might be part of a puzzle. I've found puzzle caches that have offered multiple sets of coordinates. Part of the puzzle was figuring out which set of coordinates was correct. (But if it isn't fairly obvious that the bogus coordinates are bogus when you get there, then it's best to hide a container with a "sorry, try again" message in it.)

NOT in the spirit of geocaching: :drama:

one family that cleans out all the swag in a cache without trading it for something.

hiding something that you know is intentionally impossible to find, and then gloating about no one finding it, and telling people to log their DNF's so you can gloat about them. And then lowering the difficulty rating because a couple of people got back at you by saying "easy find".

Hiding something in a sensitive area, such as a historical site, or beautiful forested area, with no clue so the area gets trampled and the plants get distroyed (especially an "evil micro" in said area).

Moving the cache you just found to a different location.

Hiding something in an area that is full of human waste

Yes all of these have happened.

IN the spirit of geocaching: :):D

Letting the second person showing up at a FTF find it with you and sharing the FTF. (my heart was warmed to see this happen in my area that is so full of FTF hounds)

Helping out other cachers with a clue (so they can learn of new find ideas too). (trading clues is good too, thank you's go out to, you know who you are)

Leaving nicer swag than you find.

Filling a muggled cache with swag. (it was out on the ground, open and empty)

Helping those who can't figure out your puzzle cache. (blessings to the CO who e-mailed me last night)

Filling a new geocache that you're placing with great stuff, then just refilling if it gets traded down without worrying about it.

Telling the new geocachers coming down the trail after you, that the next cache can only be seen AFTER you climb the tree (although you don't have to tell them WHICH tree). (they only had around 50 finds. They would have never found it).

Carrying log paper for caches with full logs.

Every now and then, hiding it again not quite as well as you found it (when it was a real b***h to find)

Edited by Sol seaker

IN the spirit of geocaching: ;):o

Letting the second person showing up at a FTF find it with you and sharing the FTF. (my heart was warmed to see this happen in my area that is so full of FTF hounds)

How about this cache as being in the spirit of geocaching? No FTF's for months, then... :)

And the response....

? :laughing:

WOW. THIS IS REALLY COOL!!!!

Yes, this is the spirit of geocaching!!!! :)

Signal will probably loose interest if they start smoking :D

I think that we should look to Signal for the answer to the question posed by the OP.

Signal is definitely in the spirit here. Don't think it has anything to do with geocaching though! ;)

signal2-1.jpg

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

I think that we should look to Signal for the answer to the question posed by the OP.

Signal is definitely in the spirit here. Don't think it has anything to do with geocaching though! :)

signal2-1.jpg

I can't find Signal in that picture anywhere.
Signal will probably loose interest if they start smoking :P
They already are smokin'.