City Navigator North America NT SD Cards

Hi folks-

A few more map questions:

I am looking at the pre-programmed micro SDs offering City Navigator North America. I am wondering - can the cards be swapped from unit to unit, or does it become locked to one unit once activated like the DVD purchase?

Both of my units should be compatable - the 60Cx and Vista HCx. So I'm wondering if I could cover both with one purchase.

Also, is there any remaining room on the pre-programmed card to add topo maps?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Paul

Yes, they can be swapped.

No you can not add other maps to the card. Some units like Nuvis, Oregons, Colorados also have internal memory for maps that can be used for the topos. Your dinosaur :( units do not have that capability.

What size of SD cards are they using for the preprogrammed map cards? If there is any memory left over, could it be used for storing other types of data? On the other side of the coin, say the preprogrammed card is a 2gb. Would it be possible to to transfer that data to a larger SD card, say an 8 or 16gb? Just curious.

Yes, they can be swapped.

No you can not add other maps to the card. Some units like Nuvis, Oregons, Colorados also have internal memory for maps that can be used for the topos. Your dinosaur :( units do not have that capability.

What size of SD cards are they using for the preprogrammed map cards? If there is any memory left over, could it be used for storing other types of data? On the other side of the coin, say the preprogrammed card is a 2gb. Would it be possible to to transfer that data to a larger SD card, say an 8 or 16gb? Just curious.

The pre-programed card can be copied, but there's something embedded in it that will not allow the copy to run.

Bill

You can not add data to the cards. They are write protected.

What about moving them to another card and then using them. I was thinking in terms of the 550/550t and using them to store pictures on, instead of using the internal memory. Since the originals are write protected, that would only leave the internal, and 800mb isn't a lot of room for storing pictures on over a period of time. That's why I got the larger SD card, to hold maps as well as photos.

Card is not always write protected, I know people who has deleted the files on the card.

You can move the map from preloaded card to your GPS and add other maps to card and all maps will work. If you remove the SD card, the map you copied from the card to your GPS will stop working.

Garmin do use the smallest possible card needed to get the map on it.

I do have Europe Travel Guide, it is on a 256MB card.

But you can not use it to other maps for the unit. But if you have a 760, you can use it to MP3, picture etc.

I would say (If you read my post in the link above) never buy map preloaded on SD Card. The dissadvantage is so big compare to a DVD/download version.