Oregon 200

Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm trying to research to find a good GPS for geocaching. I want to be able to be paperless, but don't think I need all the 'extra's' of some of the high end units out there, and THINK the Oregon 200 will work for me. My main question is:

It has a built-in basemap, but has 'options' to add on more through a microSD card? How much are these, and why do I need multiple maps? I'm a neebie sorry.

Also anything glaringly wrong with the Oregon 200? Or should I start out with a similar unit that requires paper? like an etrex? So much information...

Thanks in advance...

The Oregon 200 is a good entry level paperless geocaching GPS. The paperless geocaching support and touchscreen is its major advantage over the eTrex. You can add maps to the device if you purchase a microSD card, they are inexpensive ($10-$40 depending on the size). The cost of the maps, if you purchase them from Garmin, are the biggest expense -- typically around $70-$100 depending on the region and type of maps you think you need. You can also get decent free maps on GPSFileDepot.com which is a good way to start and see if you think you need more.

This link might help you understand the differences between the various Oregon's and what the 200 is missing:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Product+Information#toc5

Also note that Garmin is on the verge of releasing a Dakota which is an eTrex sized Oregon which might be of interest.

The Oregon 200 is a good entry level paperless geocaching GPS. The paperless geocaching support and touchscreen is its major advantage over the eTrex. You can add maps to the device if you purchase a microSD card, they are inexpensive ($10-$40 depending on the size). The cost of the maps, if you purchase them from Garmin, are the biggest expense -- typically around $70-$100 depending on the region and type of maps you think you need. You can also get decent free maps on GPSFileDepot.com which is a good way to start and see if you think you need more.

This link might help you understand the differences between the various Oregon's and what the 200 is missing:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Product+Information#toc5

Also note that Garmin is on the verge of releasing a Dakota which is an eTrex sized Oregon which might be of interest.

Thanks for the link. I'm still confused on why I would need additional maps? Some of these units come with some kind of basemap? So If I want a topo map, or street map specifically to see the same area, I'd have to load that? I think I'm going to try the used route to make sure this is something the family loves, and maybe even get one that would require paper to start and figure it all out. Sounds like a lot of fun, and this Fourm, and geocaching.com look like good communities. The Dakata 10 and PN-20 also looks decent for my needs? so many opinions in here on what os best... Will REI let me play with a demo unit of each?

Thanks in advance...

The issue is that the basemap is not very detailed.

Garmin's 100k topo maps which are part of the "t" versions would give you more geographic detail (elevation contours, water bodies, points of interest, roads, etc). Garmin's 24k topos are even more detailed and contain routable road data.

Garmins City Navigator maps are what you would find on a Nuvi and are routable road maps.

REI is a good place to go to kick the tires. Most I've been to let you use the units to compare.

The issue is that the basemap is not very detailed.

Garmin's 100k topo maps which are part of the "t" versions would give you more geographic detail (elevation contours, water bodies, points of interest, roads, etc). Garmin's 24k topos are even more detailed and contain routable road data.

Garmins City Navigator maps are what you would find on a Nuvi and are routable road maps.

REI is a good place to go to kick the tires. Most I've been to let you use the units to compare.

THANKS!

I'm trying to avoid 'buying a cheaper unit' and then having to purchase additional stuff after the fact, and wishing I'd of just bought the better GPS in the first place... so many options, and being a newbie, so I am trying to be informed...

I noted in another post that my family just changed from an etrex vista hcx to an oregon 200. we only use the unit for weekend caching w/ the family and for that purpose the oregon has been exceptional. The accuracy doesn't seem to be quite as good as my old unit, but going paperless more than makes up for the slight drop in accuracy!!!

I think you will find the entire experience more enjoyable if you go w/ an oregon due to the ease of use. Plus you will be able to use Wherigo with the colorado or oregon.

Edited by a family of spies

I noted in another post that my family just changed from an etrex vista hcx to an oregon 200. we only use the unit for weekend caching w/ the family and for that purpose the oregon has been exceptional. The accuracy doesn't seem to be quite as good as my old unit, but going paperless more than makes up for the slight drop in accuracy!!!

I think you will find the entire experience more enjoyable if you go w/ an oregon due to the ease of use. Plus you will be able to use Wherigo with the colorado or oregon.

Actually I found a eTrex Vista HCx for sale locally on Craigslist, and was considering buying that? ($175). Watching this video on utube:

seemed pretty decent? What can't the eTrex Vista HCx do that the Oregon can for the extra $$

Thanks...

the vista has more features, but for strictly caching I much prefer the oregon. The short answer is that going paperless is worth a huge amount to me. I happen to work for a prominent GPS company so I was able to get a discount when selecting my unit (and sorry, I can't help everyone on here get discounts as well) :ph34r:

Also navigating using the touch screen vs the "joystick" on the vista is much better in my opinion, at least for how I use the unit.

link below outlines the differences between the items:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...areProduct=8703

Edited by a family of spies