Colorado-Loading SD GPX

I am still learning how to use my new Colorado and I noticed that it takes a SD card. I was wondering, how do you put a PQ list from GSAX onto a SD card and then how do you load it to the unit? I tried it the other night by saving the GSAX file onto my SD cards from my computer. I then put the SD card into my unit and I didn't see anything. So can someone help me out? Thank you.

Put the GPX file from a PQ in a folder named [drive]:\garmin\gpx on the card - the Colorado should recognize it.

Sounds easey enough, but my questions are

1.) Once its in the ""[drive]:\garmin\gpx"" folder, what do you do to get it to recognise or run???

I've not done this yet, I'm just trying to get the idea in my head...

2.) Do the caches on the PQ, apear on the list when you click on the Geocache preset?

3.) when you look at the ""[drive]:\garmin\gpx"" folder the next time, are all the caches unpacked and in that folder or still just all in the xxx.gpx file?

I was wondering for clean up purposes...

Put the GPX file from a PQ in a folder named [drive]:\garmin\gpx on the card - the Colorado should recognize it.

1.) Once its in the ""[drive]:\garmin\gpx"" folder, what do you do to get it to recognise or run???

2.) Do the caches on the PQ, apear on the list when you click on the Geocache preset?

3.) when you look at the ""[drive]:\garmin\gpx"" folder the next time, are all the caches unpacked and in that folder or still just all in the xxx.gpx file?

1. Nothing to do - the Colorado will just see it and take care of it - as long as you are below the 200 file/2000cache limit.

2. All the caches in the GPX file(s) will be available on the unit under the Geocaching mode (up to limit). Usually just shows those closest to you at any given time.

3. All you will see is the GPX file(s) - only way to "clean" it up is to remove the GPX and add a new one.

Edited by StarBrand

1. Nothing to do - the Colorado will just see it and take care of it - as long as you are below the 200 file/2000cache limit.

2. All the caches in the GPX file(s) will be available on the unit under the Geocaching mode (up to limit). Usually just shows those closest to you at any given time.

3. All you will see is the GPX file(s) - only way to "clean" it up is to remove the GPX and add a new one.

Cool, Understood... Thank ya much!!!

I tried to name the GPX file from my PQ ""[drive]:\garmin\gpx"" and my computer wont let me. So I tried just "garmingpx" but that didn't work either. I'm not sure how to rename a folder that way.

Once you have the card inserted into your computer it will be assigned a drive letter. Usually something like e: or f: or beyond. If you are using windows, simply double click on that drive letter in windows explorer. Then right click and select new-->folder. Name this folder "garmin". Then double click on the garmin folder. Right click again and select new-->folder. Name this folder "gpx". Now place the GPX file from the PQ into that folder - whatever the actual name of the GPX file is. Remove the card and place it in your device. Power up the GPS and off you go.

I tried to name the GPX file from my PQ ""[drive]:\garmin\gpx"" and my computer wont let me. So I tried just "garmingpx" but that didn't work either. I'm not sure how to rename a folder that way.

Once you have the card inserted into your computer it will be assigned a drive letter. Usually something like e: or f: or beyond. If you are using windows, simply double click on that drive letter in windows explorer. Then right click and select new-->folder. Name this folder "garmin". Then double click on the garmin folder. Right click again and select new-->folder. Name this folder "gpx". Now place the GPX file from the PQ into that folder - whatever the actual name of the GPX file is. Remove the card and place it in your device. Power up the GPS and off you go.

Most of the time the PQ that is generated and emailed to you is sent zipped (compressed) and you will need to uncompress it. It is the uncompressed file that you want to place in the \garmin\gpx folder on the SD card.

:anicute: