Hi Ya We are new.

Hi Ya

We are new and only discovered all this about 2 days ago. So far only found one cache and this wasnt in good condition so we didnt even get to sign a log :P We have searched for another since then and darkness fell before we got the cache.

Im just wondering if we should possibly hide a few caches? Does this help you to think about where someone may of hid one when you are out looking for others?

First, Welcome to the hobby/sport/addiction!

Second, I think you should find more caches before hiding any of your own. Seeing what containers other hiders use, where they hide them, how they hide them will help you make your hide(s) better.

Just my opinion....

Some folks will tell you that you need to find X number of caches before hiding your first.

Some other folks will say that some are just natural hiders and don't need to find any caches- and in fact could be negatively influenced by what they consider poor caches.

I'd say, read up on the hiding guidelines and don't be in a rush. Take your time and hide something that you would like to find. Maybe you want to find a few first, maybe you don't.

Work with, not against, your reviewer. There are all sorts of reasons they may not approve your cache on the first run. Realize they want to approve your cache, but they also want to follow the spirit of the guidelines.

If your cache doesn't get approved, don't come running to the forums to complain- work with your reviewer in private.

Welcome to caching and good luck!

Hi Ya

We are new and only discovered all this about 2 days ago. So far only found one cache and this wasnt in good condition so we didnt even get to sign a log :P We have searched for another since then and darkness fell before we got the cache.

Im just wondering if we should possibly hide a few caches? Does this help you to think about where someone may of hid one when you are out looking for others?

Welcome to the obsession!

Most will say to wait a bit to hide a cache. Get some finds under your belt to get a better sense of how, and where caches are typically hidden. Remember the ones that made you smile and how they where hidden, what type of camouflage diverted your attention at first but made sense when you found it. Find out what items are good to place in a cache, and what items to avoid. I am new to this, and I am in the process of putting my first cache together. To date I have 43 finds, and a few DNF's that I am still working on.........

Welcome to caching and the forums. Look OUT :P

I personally think you should hold off on hiding for a bit. Get out there and find a few. See what techniques are out there. See if there is style you like. Get your feet wet so to speak in finding to determine what kind of hide you would like to place. There are some very easy, sneaky, creative, hard, difficult, well thought out caches....and then there is JUNK(definition of junk is for you to determine)....you will quickly determine what you like and the hides you would like to place.

I like caches that take you on a hike or to someplace you would never journey. I like historical caches and caches that have great natural views. My very first cache got me hooked had it not been for the area I don't know if I would have gone Crazy :) GCN9ZD So my two caches take you on a hike....one just a hike that was stolen and is now disabled and one that is just a hike out on a peninsula with some great wildlife to be seen on any given day. They day I hid my second cache we almost stepped on a flock of turkeys.

Please note this is my opinion and of course you can do as you please....just have fun doing it. :P You will learn shortly there are some strong opinions to this game and how it is/should be played. To each its own.....

I chose to wait to hide my first cache until I got sufficient experience that I feel comfortable finding caches, knew what to look for as a cacher (on the hunt side of things) and had a more general all around feel for the hobby.

The type of container you choose (size, material, color/camo, etc.) could be influenced by the types/sizes of caches you ultimately decide you like to hunt - another reason to take your time.

If you decided to go ahead and hide - that's great. Take a look at the Geosnippits videos here: http://www.geosnippits.com/

Specifically:

and:

These videos give a light hearted tutorial on good and bad hiding spots and cache containers.

Best of luck!

Geocaching is all about having fun, and only you know what is fun for you!

You will get a lot of opinions in this and your local geocaching forums and that's great stuff... so long as you keep in mind that our opinions are just that... read them if you choose then do what feels right for you.

Attend local geocaching events, get to know geocachers, go caching with them if that's what you enjoy, and of course go find caches! These things will give you a much better introduction to the game than will this forum if for no other reason than the fact that geocaching is done differently to a great degree in different areas, and forums over time tend to attract a core audience that pretty much thinks alike... which can stifle creativity and may tend to lend forum opinion weight it does not deserve.

Whenever the question of "Do I need experience finding before hiding?" comes up in this forum "Yes" is usually the predominate answer, but when it comes up at events and in my local forum (Alabama) it's mostly "No, go for it!". That pretty much leaves it up to what is comfortable for you.

FWIW the Groundspeak Cache Listing Guidelines pretty much outline the essential basics of the game... beyond that, have fun doing it your way! :P

Here's a little article wrote for our local geocaching forum, called "So You Want to Hide a Cache..."

So you want to hide a cache, do you? Well, there are several important things to consider before you hit that “submit” button and unleash your cache on the geocaching community.

Remember, your cache is out there in the real world. It will be exposed to weather and to changing seasons. It can affect and be affected by the plants and animals that come into contact with it. And, most importantly, people (sometimes lots of people) will constantly be passing it or gazing out their windows at its hiding spot every day. Your cache may end up being the first experience a member of the general public has with the world of geocaching, so it’s important to make sure it is a cache that has been hidden with integrity, and one that will stand up to public scrutiny in both its placement and in regard to the hide itself.

With that in mind, here are some things you should consider when hiding your cache:

*Location, location, location! If the cache is on private property, you must obtain permission. You should also state on the cache page that the cache is “hidden on private property with permission.” This will avoid confusion, conflict, and nasty emails or logs from disgruntled cachers.

*Location, location, location! Yes, it’s THAT important! Is the cache located in an extremely public spot? Then maybe you should make it easy for cachers to find. It is very difficult to search exhaustively in a public area without attracting the attention of nearby business owners, neighbors, passersby, and the occasional law enforcement officer. If any of those folks find your cache, it will probably be not last very long.

*Location, location, location! Yeah, one more time…bear with me! Do not place your cache in sensitive environments (landscaped flower beds, old stone walls, among fragile vegetation, on grave markers, etc.). If there is something nearby that may be damaged and shouldn’t be touched, say so in the cache description (for example, “no need to search the rock wall”). If searchers disrupt the area around the cache, it WILL get noticed by non-cachers, and not in a good way!

*Location, location…just kidding! How about: container, container, container!? Choose your container wisely. Do not assume that just because something has a lid it is watertight. Do not assume that just because your container is under something, it doesn’t need to be watertight. Do not assume that plastic is watertight. Gladware is made of plastic, and it is NOT watertight. Believe me, I know! Fill the sink with water, put a piece of newspaper inside your container, then submerge it for at least several minutes. If the paper is wet, the container should not be used. A Ziplock bag will NOT prevent the log sheet from getting wet if the container leaks.

*Parking coords! Not everyone who hunts for your cache will know where to park. You will not solve this problem by telling people to “park near where Old Man Ferguson shot the cow on Independence Day,” because people from out of town probably don’t know where that is. In fact, they probably don’t even care. Unless the parking area is very, very, very obvious, post parking coords as an additional waypoint. People will bless you and telepathically send good karma to you if you do.

*Batteries are your friend! Do not take coords with low batteries. Do you function well when you are weak from thirst and hunger? Neither does your Garmin. Pop in some new batteries when you take your coords, even if you stick them back in the box to save for later and put the old ones back in for your own cache hunts.

*Coords should not be taken once. Or twice. Or three times. Walk to your cache from several different spots, and when you arrive at GZ, mark a waypoint each time. Also, stand still at your cache (or set the GPS down) and mark a waypoint every minute or so for five minutes. Take about ten or twelve waypoints, then average them (or use the “average waypoints” feature of a more advanced GPS unit). If you need to, visit the site a second time and do this again, since different satellite configurations will yield slightly different results. If you have accurate coords, you will receive more of the aforementioned blessings and karma!

*Last but not least…is your cache one YOU would enjoy hunting for? Would YOU have liked to visit the area? Would YOU have thought it was a neat hide, that there were cool trade items inside, and that you had fun? The last thing you should do before you hit that “submit” button is ask yourself if you are proud of your cache, and if YOU would want to find it too. Now go out and hide something for everyone to find!

Here's a little article wrote for our local geocaching forum, called "So You Want to Hide a Cache..."

Much applause!!!!! Very well written with a lot of great advice! Perfect answer to the OP.

Thanks! :)

Now if only some of our local newbies would read it...

Good article! If you were to email it to TheAlabamaRambler@gmail.com I bet he would publish it in The Online Geocacher. <_<

Much applause!!!!! Very well written with a lot of great advice! Perfect answer to the OP.

Thanks! <_<

Now if only some of our local newbies would read it...

Good article! If you were to email it to TheAlabamaRambler@gmail.com I bet he would publish it in The Online Geocacher. :yikes:

Very good! and I know that it would get published! :)

Thank you so much guys!! I went out yesterday with my husband (thats why we are the clueless 2 and not the clueless 1) and found 9 caches out of a possible 11. I thought this was fairly good going.

We found another today too. Im thinking of a lot of prior planning to do a few series cashes that lead you on a hike with a lot of reward.

Cluelesstwo :)