best backpack, sleeping bag, and small tent

I have been watching the briansnat videos on youtube, and hiking and camping looks and sounds really fun. So I want to start and there are quite a few trails to do so. But I will need a backpack, tent, and sleeping bag. I know there has to be good ones at REI or walmart, so I am wondering which ones to get that are cheap( they have to be cheap because I'm only 14) in the price range of 35$.any suggestions???

I have been watching the briansnat videos on youtube, and hiking and camping looks and sounds really fun. So I want to start and there are quite a few trails to do so. But I will need a backpack, tent, and sleeping bag. I know there has to be good ones at REI or walmart, so I am wondering which ones to get that are cheap( they have to be cheap because I'm only 14) in the price range of 35$.any suggestions???

Read the tips you can find at REI. Then garage sales are a good place to start to gaining gear at an exceptionally low price although it will take time to hunt out the pearls. Work with a lightweight tarp and lines instead of a tent. But don't skimp on a decent sleeping bag. You want one that's going to be light and keep you warm even when it gets wet. A compass and a map of the area you will be in is a must and you must learn how to use it. Do not become a statistic.

Once you have what I call the starter kit, then you can work on upgrading pieces until you have what you really want.

Well, let's start out with the sort of conditions that you will need to deal with. BTW, I like REI, a lot. They are an awesome resource.

Tents:

Assuming you are looking for a 3-season tent.

REI Quarter Dome 3T seems like a good choice: ample room for 2 and weighs less than 5 pounds. Lots of nice ventilation when things are hot.

Personally, I have an old Eureka Timberline 2 -- it has served me well.

Pack:

My bias is towards external frame packs. When I am backpacking, it almost always in the warm months, so I like the ventilation. A Kelty Tioga or JanSport Carson would be my preference. That said, there has been a sea change in the backpacking world in favor of internal frame packs. My recommendation is to get as good an estimate of weight and volume required, go to a place like REI, and try every pack they have in the joint. Don't buy until you are totally satisfied that you will be happy and smiling after 8 hours of hauling "the stone."

Sleeping bags:

Entirely depends on how cold you anticipate it to get. Sleeping bags all have a temperature rating that is based on the "average" camper. Choose accordingly -- go no heavier than you need. Sleeping bag will do you no good if you don't have a closed-cell foam pad -- it softens the blow of lying on the bare ground and gives you needed insulation.

You didn't mention boots -- no matter how well-geared, well- armed or well-fed you are, you are totally screwed if your feet are a mess. My recommendation is similar to that regarding the backpack. Try every boot on until you are satisfied that your feet won't be sloshing in a bootful of blood and pus.

As an alternative to a tent you can also consider a Hammock. The Hennessy's are easy to set up, have a bug net, keep you off the ground, are lightweight and pack pretty small. I don't even need a sleeping bag in the summer months.

As an alternative to a tent you can also consider a Hammock. The Hennessy's are easy to set up, have a bug net, keep you off the ground, are lightweight and pack pretty small. I don't even need a sleeping bag in the summer months.

If you usually camp in places blessed with trees, the hammock/bivvy is an intriguing alternative. Ideally it can be deployed on the ground as a regular bivvy sack in a pinch. Bivvy's and camping hammocks are fairly small enclosures -- some find that cozy, the claustrophobic may think otherwise. Definitely try before you buy.

Tarps are another more traditional alternative, especially suited for locales where bugs and other crawling things aren't a big issue.

Of course, you could add bug netting, but at that point, you're back to just getting a tent.

All I can say is go to REI for all of the important gear. Like tent, boots, socks, sleeping bag, pad, backpack and so on. Take my word for it they may be a little higher in price, but the stand behind their products, and they carry only the best gear. One more thing if you by something thier and after a few months you don't like it. Take it back, you will get all of your money back. I now this for a fact.

I had a pair of Keen hiking boots for about 10 months. I found they where not working out. I took them back they gave all my money back. So I bought the right boots there with the money they gave me back.

REI IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!

If you or your parents are REI members, then you can shop the damaged/defective area. At my store, it's called the "attic", but other stores have "garage sales" or other similar things where the items are very discounted. It's mostly just the items that folks return, either because they weren't quite right for that particular customer or because there was a small defect with the item. Sometimes, it's a small tear that can be mended or a buckle that can be replaced. That might be an option. This is where you can benefit from REI's return policy. The only catch is that you can't return items that were bought from this section, so choose carefully.

I love my REI Flash 65 backpack. It's very lightweight, but pretty durable and has a good capacity. It's much more than $35, though. I'm also a big fan of Marmot tents and sleeping bags, although I now carry a North Face tent.

My suggestion would be to do some research on what your needs are and what items match those needs. Then start saving your money and asking for gift cards for times when family members might send you gifts. It's good to outfit yourself on a budget, but be careful that you don't buy something just because it's cheap. I know a lot of people who bought gear just because it was the cheapest available and hated every second of their trip because it wasn't the right gear for them.

For myself, I chose the REI Ridgeline 65. Its very comfortable and hold a lot of stuff for hiking, including my Sirius 3 Tent from Sierra Design. 3 Person Tent under 6 lbs. And for my sleeping bag I use the Boreal from EMS. I always use synthetic, easier to dry when you get rained on.

Well as you can see, not many people can recommend something that's going to be good and inexpensive. Most good gear is going to be more than you're currently willing to spend.

If your parents are REI members, you can benefit by renting most of what you need for an overnighter for just under $100 for a weekend. This will give you an idea of what you might want to buy by inexpensively testing some equipment they have on hand. No deposit is required for members.

Here's what I did to get started. I looked for a backpack that could act as a daypack as well as a single overnighter. It had to have loops so I could strap stuff to the outside of it. For long hikes, this isn't optimal, but it did give me an idea of what I wanted to look for and how I wanted to carry the gear. I used an old sleeping bag I already had which wasn't really ideal for on the trail and bought a stove to handle my cooking needs. Below is a pic of me on my first overnighter on a trail. I had fun with this setup. I was described by my hiking partner as looking and sounding like a gypsy with things clanking and clanging. :) This was in 2006. I had started making my purchases in 2004.

cf03e75b-130d-419a-8fcb-d97747335ec7.jpg

In 2007, I had upgraded but still wanted to carry too much.

3f5f58d9-3e9e-4c73-984a-11f8b61d28e3.jpg

By 2008, I had purchased almost everything I was going to need and learned a lot about load, weight, and how to carry it. What I'm saying is, this is going to cost you money in the long term. You don't skimp on the equipment you will need to depend on during your adventure. But don't go out thinking you'll buy everything you need all in one shot. Do it a little bit at a time and you will be happier with your purchases.

e0e1a0a2-9d1c-459a-9168-01e8e99b2209.jpg

For myself, I chose the REI Ridgeline 65. Its very comfortable and hold a lot of stuff for hiking, including my Sirius 3 Tent from Sierra Design. 3 Person Tent under 6 lbs. And for my sleeping bag I use the Boreal from EMS. I always use synthetic, easier to dry when you get rained on.

Although I too use a synthetic bag, there is room for argument. Down is lighter, packs smaller, and even if it's wet it will keep you warm.

After thinking about it more, I suggest doing research on what's available currently so you know what types of features are available and the pros and cons of different products/fabrics/styles. Then check craigslist, thrift stores, and garage sales and see what you can pick up.

It most likely won't be the most recent super-wonderful stuff, but you might be able to get some good gear that somebody else doesn't need after an upgrade. Where I live, it's pretty easy to find stuff this way, because people move here and think they want to be "outdoorsy" and then decide it's not for them, so the gear has to go. We've also got a lot of military folks, so sometimes gear gets sold off when assignments change.

$35? I think with that budget you'll need to shop flea markets, garage sales and Craigslist. It can be done though. I prefer internal frame packs, but frame packs generally come much cheaper. Stick with brand names though, Gregpory, Kelty, Mountainsmith, Arc'Teryx, Marmot, Osprey, Deuter, Mountain Hardwear or if you can find one used, an old Camp Trails pack will do nicely.

REI and LL Bean also sell quality packs that won't cost a bundle.

Slumberjack has a line of decent, inexpensive sleeping bags. Consider the time of year and the location you will be heading out. No point in spending a lot on a 0 degree bag if you are only going to backpack in the summer, in Florida. If you will be doing spring and fall camping or heading into the mountains you'll want something warmer. A 20 degree bag at least.

$35? I think with that budget you'll need to shop flea markets, garage sales and Craigslist. It can be done though. I prefer internal frame packs, but frame packs generally come much cheaper. Stick with brand names though, Gregpory, Kelty, Mountainsmith, Arc'Teryx, Marmot, Osprey, Deuter, Mountain Hardwear or if you can find one used, an old Camp Trails pack will do nicely.

Slumberjack has a line of decent, inexpensive sleeping bags. Consider the time of year and the location you will be heading out. No point in spending a lot on a 0 degree bag if you are only going to backpack in the summer, in Florida. If you will be doing spring and fall camping or heading into the mountains you'll want something warmer. A 20 degree bag at least.

OK, not $35, but how about $70? $80?

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___99803

http://www.rei.com/product/792851

A good backpack is cheaper than a chiropractor or back doctor.

OK, not $35, but how about $70? $80?

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___99803

http://www.rei.com/product/792851

A good backpack is cheaper than a chiropractor or back doctor.

Ok, that's for one item. What the OP was looking for (or at least the way I read it) was a total budget of $35 for everything.

Also join your local Freecycle if there is one in your area. You never know when someone will be giving away a pack, sleeping bag or tent. Heck, I just missed a working 9.9 horsepower outboard motor for free (my e-mail arrived a few minutes after the lucky winner) and I see camping equipment come up all the time.

You'd be amazed by the stuff that people give away on Freecycle and even more amazed by the absolute junk that you can get rid of.

Check http://www.freecycle.org/

Edited by briansnat

I didn't mean 35$ for every thing. I found a good pack for eighty dollars and a 35 degree sleeping bag for 15 dollars.now i'm just wondering about the tent.

Tents are tricky, the more you want out of them, the more it'll cost you.

Points to consider

+Good airflow - helps reduce condensation

+Standalone - helps in rocky or hardpan areas -I still tend to tie the tent to something though, you never know when a windstorm will come up.

+Bathtub design - That is the floor is seamless at the edges and go up about 3-4" from the ground. Reduces leakage concerns. I can't seem to find it now, but there was a thread about someone's tent floating on a river bank where the river rose unexpectedly overnight. He stayed dry until he stepped out to find his predicament. You just never know when you're going to find yourself in deep water. :anitongue:

Considering your age the price restrictions you're up against, I don't think a cheaper tent and sleeping bag is out of the question for you.

My personal opinion is this and comes from experience. My first tent which I bought back in my early 20's came from Target. I don't remember how much it cost but I know it was well under $50. At the time I took my hiking/camping partner with me (Border Collie). She slept in my 2 person tent all the time. I used to be an avid hiker/tenter, the one I had was dome shaped with an air vent up top and had a small rain fly for the placing over the vent. I chose one based on weight first and then seasons and believe me there wasn't much choice :anitongue: This is what I did, I bought the tent and then I bought some spray to help with the waterproofing. I set the tent up in my yard and sprayed it down and made sure I got all the seams evenly. I practiced a few times setting it up and taking it down and stuffing it prior to setting out on any ventures.

I think I used that tent for 5 years and never had 1 problem with it and I did a solo hiking trip for 2 weeks through Oregon and Washington, just me and the dog. That thing held up during several strong thunderstorms, light snow, wind and heavy sun. Plus me poking and moving around in there with a dog. The only thing I found was that it did have some moisture buildup when i woke up but that was the least of my concerns at the time. I'd always roll it carefully and stuff it into the traveling sack. After each use I'd set it up at home and clean it. If I used it alot, I'd spray it again with a waterproofing spray but it always got at least 1 treatment before the start of hiking season. It traveled all over Montana and sat on some rough terrain. So my thoughts are that if you do a little preventative care and take care of your tent, you don't need anything fancy until you can afford to buy fancy. I currently own a Kelty Zen but I can afford something nicer being a bit older.

My sleeping bag is a good 10 years old now and is a Slumberjack rted for 0 degrees. I usually sweat in that sucker but I'm a believer in sleeping in the buff which allows for more body heat to circulate. It weighs just under 2 lbs. After each use, I'd just hang it outside and air out for a good day or two. I still use it but that was more spendy and at the time an old boyfriend paid for that, so I didn't have to fork over the big bucks it cost at the time but I bet you could find a reasonably priced s.bag if you took the time to look around. You don't need name brand to start off with.

Here's another tip to save on money. Sleeping pads; way back when I couldn't afford one of those nice self-inflating pads, heck even to foam pads were spendy. On a whim, I went and bought one of those blow up swimming pool rafts that you can lay on. I think it cost me under $2. I bought a real cheap, thin pad to go with it. This took some time out of my day but heck it wasn't like I didn't have extra time and I admit it was kinda a pain but when you ain't go the cash, you do what you gotta do. I would blow up the pool raft and place it on the cheap, thin pad. It was a little deflated in the morning but it sure saved my back from being sore. It was very comfortable. I just rolled out the air in the morning and blew it back up at night. I rolled it in the cheap foam pad to keep it from getting punctured.

Either way, have fun!

tsun

Eureka makes some decent tents for the money. The 2 person Eureka Timberline is about $109 and is an old standby, still popular among Boy Scout troops. Not free standing though.

I just saw an Eureka Apex 2XT Adventure on Amazon for $101 and it has some very good reviews.

If you want a solo tent check out the Eureka Solo Solitaire Tent. It's $63 on Amazon.com and also has some good reviews (and some scathing ones).

The Kelty Crestone 1 (1 person) is 79 bucks at www.campmor.com and the 2 person Creston is $109. Kelty, like Eureka makes decent, inexpensive tents.

Campmor also has a Wenzel StarLite Tent - Ultralight Solo for $23, but I'd be leery of that.

Actually Campmor has 19 tents listed under $100 (I'd probably stay away from the Gigatent, the Swiss Gear, Colemans and Wenzels) and bunch more just over.

For a bit more you can get the tent I use, the Sierra Designs Sirius 2. It's around $130 these days, though I paid about $50 more when it was new. A tight fit for 2 larger adults, but at under $5 lbs it's a roomy solo tent.

Things I prefer in a tent:

-Free standing

-taped seams

-good ventilation

-"bath tub" floor

-clips for the poles (rather than sleeves)

-2 entrances

-full mesh tent body

-fly with built in vestibule

-aluminum poles

Of course you probably can't get all of these in a budget tent.

A good 2 person, 3 season backpacking tent should weigh under 6lbs. You can get away with as many as 8 or 9 lbs if its a 2 person and you split the tent with your partner (e.g. onee takes the poles and the other takes the tent).

Also check out Rei-outlet and sierratradingpost.com for some good prices on backpacking equipment. They deal in closeouts and overstocks and you can get outstanding deals.

Edited by briansnat

Not to nitpick with briansnat too much, but the Eureka Timberline IS self-supporting. A couple of guy lines are used to pull out the sides, but the tent and fly will function fine without.

A nice feature on the better tents is the ability to get the fly set up before the tent. Useful if making camp in rainy weather: since the roof of the tent is usually just a screen, this reduces the amount of water accumulating inside the tent during set up. (This is a feature that made the Timbeline way ahead of its time.)

Definitely consider used equipment. Garage sales will take a bunch of time, so try searching on Craig's list. When you see a tent or pack you like, go check it out and while there with the seller, try to negotiate to buy more than listed. Most likely, the person selling has other gear too, and they might let it go as a buyer's bonus for cash.

Used is great if you are just starting out. As you backpack and camp, you will gain experience with the attributes of your gear and learn what you like and don't like, and then you can replace things with new gear that optimally fits your needs as you get the cash.

Just reading this post you'll see that everyone that does this stuff much has their own opinion on what is best. Remember, what works well for you IS the best gear.

Also, at 14, you might consider joining Boy Scouts. Check out a few Troops in your area and find one that hikes, backpacks, and camps...many have monthly trips year round and a week trip in summer. You might even find that you want to pursue ranks...but if not, you can just hang back and learn camp craft and outdoor skills and have a heck of a good time. Many troops have loaner equipment, or you might buy some gear from other kids that are looking for a change.

The first piece of equipment is free.

ask at your local library for a book titled

"The New Complete Walker"

by Collin Fletcher

The author has been hiking and writing about it since the 1960's

This book is widely held to be The Best!

Also Backpacker Magazine Gear Guide issue might be at the library.

and their website www.gearfinder.com

Maybe his best piece of advice is to stop and change your socks every hour.

I cahnge mine every two hours..it repositions your feet, adjusts the laces, lets your feet breath.

And it feels like magic :o

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

That said, grab a simple pup style tent at walmart.

Get a decent pair of boots ..say Columbia Sportswear from a discount shoe outlet.

Get Out there, have fun, take your own notes of what works, and what you want next.

I started out with a $10 K-Mart sleeping bag (regular old recatangle)

A external frame pack for xmas

A junky pair of KMart boots $10

Some matches dipped in wax (melted crayons)

Some C-Rations from my uncle

This stuff was heavy but, darn it all I Had Fun!!!

After 20+ years of hiking; I've cobbled together this and I like it!

Kelty sleeping bag $80

Northface Scarab pack $195

MSR Missing Link tent $230

MSR Simmerlite stove $70

Montrail Torre GTX boots $260

The pack + tent + sleeping bag together weigh 10 pounds.

Have fun!

really see Collin Fletcher's book :)

I cahnge mine every two hours..it repositions your feet, adjusts the laces, lets your feet breath.

And it feels like magic :D

Good advice. Alternatively, I use polyester liner socks inside my synthetic wool socks. This takes care of any hot spots. I haven't had any blisters since I've gone this route.

You ultimately should stop and readjust every couple of hours anyway as laces do loosen up depending on the terrain you're on and it gives you a chance to readjust your socks and air out your feet a little bit. Now let's talk about being friendly to your feet. I also put memory foam inserts in my boots. (sigh :( ) I'm finding I can endure longer hikes now.

Here's some stuff I saw on Walmart web site:

$138 a whole set of stuff:

1 tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 sleeping mats, 2 chairs, 2 marshmallow sticks, 1 lantern

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10829105

$38 Jeep dome tent

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10993676

$24 Wenzel dome tent -- this may be a toy or it might not

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5623423

$24 this may be a serious and low price hiking pup tent, small but light 3.4 lbs

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8136423

I'd take a look at this one..it has good reviews for a low price tent.

Here's some stuff I saw on Walmart web site:

$138 a whole set of stuff:

1 tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 sleeping mats, 2 chairs, 2 marshmallow sticks, 1 lantern

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10829105

$38 Jeep dome tent

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10993676

$24 Wenzel dome tent -- this may be a toy or it might not

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5623423

$24 this may be a serious and low price hiking pup tent, small but light 3.4 lbs

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8136423

I'd take a look at this one..it has good reviews for a low price tent.

Generally the Walmart stuff is not appropriate for backpacking. Maybe that cheap Wenzel tent, but you do get what you pay for.

John Muir went out with a canvas pack on a wood frame (and sometimes a mule). His journals suggested he had fun.

To have fun backpacking or camping, one does not need a bunch of fancy gear.

For me, new gear must 1) Extend my camping or backpacking season or 2) Improve my comfort or safety or 3) replace something worn out or 3) provides recreation before I put out hard earned dollars.

A friend of mine can't understand how he ever backpacked without his "Spot". I for the life of me cannot figure out why I'd ever want to buy one of those things...maybe when I'm older, but for now, I continue to like to at least feel I'm flying under the wire. :P

Yeah, I do take my GPS for playing around, but still rely primarily on the good old USGS topo that you can now download and print for the cost of the paper, and my 40 year old Boy Scout compass.

John Muir went out with a canvas pack on a wood frame (and sometimes a mule). His journals suggested he had fun.

To have fun backpacking or camping, one does not need a bunch of fancy gear.

For me, new gear must 1) Extend my camping or backpacking season or 2) Improve my comfort or safety or 3) replace something worn out or 3) provides recreation before I put out hard earned dollars.

A friend of mine can't understand how he ever backpacked without his "Spot". I for the life of me cannot figure out why I'd ever want to buy one of those things... maybe when I'm older, but for now, I continue to like to at least feel I'm flying under the wire. :P

Yeah, I do take my GPS for playing around, but still rely primarily on the good old USGS topo that you can now download and print for the cost of the paper, and my 40 year old Boy Scout compass.

The SPOT is more a comfort level for those concerned about you. It's also another method to call for help when you might need it the most.

To put it in perspective, you could cut off your own arm if you really needed to because nobody knew where to look for you. But if someone knew where to look for you, would you?

Oh, and what we considered inexpensive for the days of John Muir, was still a lot of money back then. Of course, there were basic skills he would have taken for granted most of us have very little of when without the fancy gear. It is all in the perspective.

For my 2 cents I'll say this:

Don't skimp on the boots, or your pack. with that said the pack choice REALLY depends on how long, how far, and how heavy. My normal day pack or overnight pack is a 40 liter Pack from one of the best companies in sweden.. www.fjallraven.com I use the campus ace.

If you are hiking for an afternoon with little gear, most any pack will do. If you are going for the long haul, you need a good fit. Look for adjustable and well padded. Consider a rain fly for your pack too.

On day hikes I usually carry 2liters of water at a time. and refill at every chance I get. but i carry more if water sources are more scarce (Sweden is pretty wet) also check out the seemingly endless list of backpacking websites.

I make my own camping gear wherever possible. I made my camp stove for about 10-12 bucks ....

The first piece of equipment is free.

ask at your local library for a book titled

"The New Complete Walker"

by Collin Fletcher

The author has been hiking and writing about it since the 1960's

This book is widely held to be The Best!

Also Backpacker Magazine Gear Guide issue might be at the library.

and their website www.gearfinder.com

And it feels like magic :D

That said, grab a simple pup style tent at walmart.

Get a decent pair of boots ..say Columbia Sportswear from a discount shoe outlet.

Get Out there, have fun, take your own notes of what works, and what you want next.

I started out with a $10 K-Mart sleeping bag (regular old recatangle)

A external frame pack for xmas

A junky pair of KMart boots $10

Some matches dipped in wax (melted crayons)

Some C-Rations from my uncle

This stuff was heavy but, darn it all I Had Fun!!!

After 20+ years of hiking; I've cobbled together this and I like it!

Kelty sleeping bag $80

Northface Scarab pack $195

MSR Missing Link tent $230

MSR Simmerlite stove $70

Montrail Torre GTX boots $260

The pack + tent + sleeping bag together weigh 10 pounds.

Have fun!

really see Collin Fletcher's book :rolleyes:

I have read The Complete Walker several times. I also highly recommend simply buying this book at any price tag. It has 50 years of tried and true wisdom on all manner of hiking and camping things. It is a one stop guide of wisdom to the outdoor world!!