Geocaching Introduction / Training / Event Cache

I am in the process of developing a 2 hour workshop that will be designed to introduce non-cachers to the game of Geocaching. It will be a community workshop that will meet at the local community college (or possibly at the local state park) for a open demonstration, explanation of Geocaching followed by a live demonstration of a hunt for a cache or two at the local state park.

My question is this. Would it be OK to have an Event Cache setup for this event even though it isn't designed for existing cachers? My purpose of the event cache would be to allow attendees to create their Geocaching.com account while at the training and log the event as their first find if they so desired.

I thought it would be a good way to give a hands on demonstration of all the components of the website by allowing new cachers see the importance of logging.

I'd suggest contacting your local reviewer and working with them directly to get this properly worded. It's a noble idea, and may be workable, but you are more likely to get it published with their input than ours.

You are right that the sticking point is the "by geocachers for geocachers" phrase in the guidelines for an event cache. But you need to word it so that enough experienced cachers are interested in attending. If it is simply an 'Intro 101 to geocaching' class directed at people that don't know if they want to be geocachers, then no one will get the message if it's listed as an event here anyway.

I would guess you will hear from the local reviewer that this can't be done. Geocaching events are supposed to be for geocachers, and open to all geocachers.

I do have a couple of ideas, though.

I've heard from people that do this that the thing that really eats up time for a class like this is creating the geocaching account. I'd guess that walking people through how to log their finds would also be time consuming.

You really want to be able to have people enjoy finding caches, so they want to become geocachers, right?

If it were me, I'd do an extremely brief intro to geocaching history and then use the bulk of the time for hands-on experience.

~perhaps begin by having people using the gps to first find a co-ordinate (maybe have preset coords and have people plant flags at those coords to see how close everyone gets?)

~ then finding a few specially hidden caches for practice (not gc caches, just caches hidden within say 100 feet or so of the site so they can ask for help if they need it; mix up the sizes/types of containers)

~ and then let them find the nearest one or two "official" caches in the area.

I'd wrap up with a handout and quick demonstration of how to set up an account and how to log their find, and let them take care of that on their own time. Or you could offer to stay a bit afterward to help them make the account. (I would think the average person would want some time to figure out a name they would want to keep on the account, etc)

It would be very cool to time the workshop a week or two before a local geocaching event, and encourage the attendees of the workshop to the event. They could have the chance to try out their new skills and see what questions they couldn't figure out on their own, and then have access to experienced cachers to answers anything they didn't get at the workshop.

Thanks for all the replies so far and I like the detailed feedback Neos2. All very good ideas.

I had planned on only using about 45 mintues to 1 hour for an introduction/history and brief overview of the technology used for the game. I had then planned on having (just as suggested by Neos2) a few 'practice' caches (unofficial) located within a few hundred feet of the event. Currently there are only a few caches nearby. I'm going out tonight to scout and possibly place my first (awaiting land manager permissions). The ones that are here are fairly easy finds but do have terrains that could present challengs to some of the potential attendees.

I've actually done this before for a group of educators. We setup a brief workshop back in 2001 when I had first heard of Geocaching. We placed some practice caches in the Outdoor Classroom (read: 150 acres of land used for environmental studies by secondary students). Our trainees learned history, previewed the website, learned how to use the GPSr and then hunted in teams of 2 for the practice caches. It worked out great.

Its actually funny that you mentioned timing the workshop around an event. I've considered having some sort of event early this fall and in all likelihood my workshop will be late summer so that might work out well.

My biggest challenge is the GPSr technology itself. I have an Oregon (that I'll probably not loan out to attendees) and an eTrex Legend (that could be lent) but I don't have a source for getting GPS units to use for the training so we may be pretty limited on what we can do. I'm working some sources for older eTrex units that I may be able to borrow. I may be surprised at how many show up with their own units.

Thanks again for all the replies - keep the ideas coming - and I'll contact my local reviewer(s).

A Geocaching 101 class is a regular feature of the local Environmental Center. It is NOT listed as an event, because it fails the "by geocachers for geocachers" standard. I've taught it several times.

The most time consuming part BY FAR is the number of people who really need GPS 101!

They don't understand how their unit works, they can't hand load a set of coords, or navigate through the screens. they don't know how to set a "go to". Indeed, I'd guess half (? a made up stat, and highly reliable, see wimseyguy's sig line :) ) are actually there for the GPS instruction!

You must decide upfront are attendees to bring their own units? that works, but be prepared for TomToms and Nuvis and just a wide assortment of units. Trying to get every unit loaded with a set of coords can easily take 45 minutes all by itself. If you can have a helper (or two) they should be quietly working the group and getting one or two or three sets of coords loaded in each unit as you're talking about geocaching. you can announce that upfront, ask for a show of hands from people who want help, and then as you're doing your presentation, someone else is helping with coord loads.

TRACKABLES!!!!!! cover that. Put some in the practice caches. Both TBs and coins. Hide a regular, small and a micro.

Why not have an Event "by geocachers for geocachers", and structure it around the workshop. The best scenario would be if you had roughly equal numbers of geocachers and non-geocachers for 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 pairing up. People without receivers could pair up with experienced cachers, most of whom have an extra they could loan out. And even if some student brings in a obscure, off-brand receiver they got on a trip out of the country, you'll likely have at least one experienced person there with knowledge of that receiver. Instead of you frantically running around the room showing each person how to enter coordinates and start a "go-to", you'll have a room full of assistants. And even if they can't come to the event, experienced cachers could loan you their back-up receivers.

But whatever you do, keep it structured! Use a megaphone if you have to. There's an annual "Welcome to the game" event held locally, theoretically as a class for new players and non-players who want to know what this activity is all about. The last one I went to had about 50 attendees, with about a 4:1 ratio of experienced to new players. It turned into a free-for-all. No one could hear the speakers because of all the side conversations. People left in random groups to go on cache runs. People were trading coins. It was an interesting time, but I don't know how much the new players learned about geocaching.

And as already mentioned,

- Cover trade items (trade up or trade even)

- Cover how to handle trackables (move, not keep; they're not trade items; etc.)

- Go over logging DNFs (it's not admitting failure), logging notes, etc.

- Use practice caches, not real caches, unless the real cache owner gives permission. ESPECIALLY if there are minors in the class.

- Go over standard receiver inaccuracy (just because you get to 0.0 distance, doesn't mean the cache is within arm's reach)

- Print out the Geocaching FAQ for more topics to cover.

Good luck!

I sat in on one of workerofwood's classes, and I think his format works very well. He started with a quick slide show that explained the basics (see post #7 by J-Way above). Expect a lot of families with kids, so keep this part short and sweet or you'll lose their attention. He also had a few sample cache containers (at least one of each size, IIRC), and a couple trackables.

Next, he took everyone outside to a roped-off area where he had hidden half a dozen caches. Everyone could spot the ammo can under the bush, but he had to give away a couple of the camouflaged micros.

Next, he distributed loaner GPSrs that had coordinates preloaded. He walked everyone through setting the GPSr to find the preloaded coordinates, and then sent them out to find the cache.

A Geocaching 101 class is a regular feature of the local Environmental Center. It is NOT listed as an event, because it fails the "by geocachers for geocachers" standard. I've taught it several times.

The most time consuming part BY FAR is the number of people who really need GPS 101!

They don't understand how their unit works, they can't hand load a set of coords, or navigate through the screens. they don't know how to set a "go to". Indeed, I'd guess half (? a made up stat, and highly reliable, see wimseyguy's sig line :) ) are actually there for the GPS instruction!

You must decide upfront are attendees to bring their own units? that works, but be prepared for TomToms and Nuvis and just a wide assortment of units. Trying to get every unit loaded with a set of coords can easily take 45 minutes all by itself. If you can have a helper (or two) they should be quietly working the group and getting one or two or three sets of coords loaded in each unit as you're talking about geocaching. you can announce that upfront, ask for a show of hands from people who want help, and then as you're doing your presentation, someone else is helping with coord loads.

TRACKABLES!!!!!! cover that. Put some in the practice caches. Both TBs and coins. Hide a regular, small and a micro.

Like I said before, why is it REQUIRED that all caches be loaded into the GPS? Aren't these 'students' smart enough to understand what lat/lon is and how to 'change' the coordinates. I havent loaded a single set of coordinates yet and havent had a single problem. If I need to raise my North number, I simply walk North. If my West number is too high, I simply walk East. Let them figure out loading on their own time with their own unit at their own pace. Remember to pass out contact info when you are done so they don't feel completely lost.

And, yeah, all the other stuff Neos2 & J-Way said to cover.

Thanks for all the replies. I did send a note to my reviewer, and as I (and others) suspected it doesn't really pass the test as I had originally envisioned.

I'll be using everyones tips to some extent as I work on developing my plan of attack. I'm working my sources for some loaner eTrex Summits to use for the event. I'm even trying to get access to our fairgrounds (because it is fenced and next door to the Ag Office where I would most likely do the training) as a location for placing the practice caches.

Again - all great input that is greatly appreciated.